Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Paint and Body Guru's....Novice in need of plastic help [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paint and Body Guru's....Novice in need of plastic help

ascCapri
03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Hey there Gents, can anyone lead me down the right path with the plastics on my bike? I painted the tailsection last year, and am finally getting around to doing the side fairings and headlight shroud. The side fairings are not perfect and I need to fill a couple gouges in the plastic. As well, the entire piece is painted, then DUKE sticker put on, then clear coated over that.....the sticker is so thick from the factory, I decided to start over since I am not running decals. So, I was able to get under the stickers and remove the sticker and some of the layer of clearcoat, but this stuff is thick, and as much as I can feather the edges, I feel I may need filler and primer to make it present well.

1. So, my question is, are there any strippers that work well on plastic? So I can get a uniform starting point.

2. Any recommendations on flexible filler? I have some Rage Gold that was suggested to me by Plated last year, but I am not sure if that can be used on plastics or anything flexible.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated....I had most of the bike powdercoated by Mustangboy last year and I am ashamed to ride it as mismatched and goofy as it looks with crap plastics all of different colors. So, I am hoping to paint this stuff over the next couple weeks and get on the road this spring. Thanks for your help.

MFIELD
03-25-2011, 04:27 PM
My suggestion is to feather edge all the areas where the stickers were, you will still need to primer these areas but that should be enough. The Rage would work as long as it is very thin but not the most ideal by any means. There are plastic repair materials that expand and contract closer to the rates of the plastic to give you less chance of something coming back on you later. Really just depends on what kind of job your looking for. I would look into some Fusor plastic repair material. If I remeber correctly its like part # 614 or something like that. It comes in a tube that has 2 parts and you push it out onto a mixing board and work it like bondo then spread it. it kind of has a pink color to it. Works very well for what your doing. Thats what I would do and I have done the exact things your doing.

Here is a pic of my last bike, all the stripes and lettering are painted on.

ascCapri
03-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks man, is this stuff I can get at koi or a napa paint center?

That bike turned out great, I am wanting it to be perfect so whatever it takes, however I hope I get it right the first time. I will have Alot of time painting and striping, don't want to have to go back done to bare plastic because I rushed something. Thanks for your help brother.

mustangboy
03-25-2011, 06:33 PM
I got some stuff that will take that paint off, of course it may turn your plastics into a big blob but the paint will be gone:lol: Good luck, that bike is going to be BAD ASS!!! I seriously have been waiting to see how it turns out since you picked the stuff up. When done I want you to bring it to me so I can get some really good pics of it to show off my work:bigthumb

Metcalf Racing
03-25-2011, 06:45 PM
I stripped my buddies side plastics with aircraft stripper all the way down to original condition. But he had an aftermarket plastic tail section that didn't agree with it. But all original plastics did great.

MFIELD
03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks man, is this stuff I can get at koi or a napa paint center?

That bike turned out great, I am wanting it to be perfect so whatever it takes, however I hope I get it right the first time. I will have Alot of time painting and striping, don't want to have to go back done to bare plastic because I rushed something. Thanks for your help brother.

Not sure, worth a try. If not most any paint and body supply stoer should have it.

I was way off on the number, try this

http://www.lord.com/Products-And-Solutions/Adhesives/Automotive-Repair-Adhesives/Product.xml/303

inferno50
03-25-2011, 09:45 PM
U can get a plastic paint stripper in a spray can. But I would personaly use a sanding block with 150 grit paper and hand sand the decals off and all imperfections out then use polyflex filler or a two part 3m product used for plastic I think the 3m part number is 3952. Koi paint store sells all of the above. Once u have it all feathered out and filled using 150 grit then wetsand it all with 400 grit spray it with adheasion promoter and prime it with a good filler primer . Sand your filler primer with 600 grit and paint it. I use all of these products on a daily basis and they work and hold up well. Good luck. Hope this helps.

inferno50
03-25-2011, 09:46 PM
And I also would not paint or prime over any existing decals.

ascCapri
03-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks MField and Inferno, that is a huge help.....I will try to get some of this today or tomorrow. I didn't have time over the weekend. I am looking forward to getting on this, as much as I want to ride, I just want the bike to be done and see it in it's finished state.....the ride is a definite plus!!

Thanks gents!!

ascCapri
03-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Where do you guys buy your Fusor products? I called Napa and KOI and they didn't have any in stock, would have to order....just wonder if you know of another place local that might have it. Thanks

MFIELD
03-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Try KOI on Hanna in Middletown

91boost
03-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Hannah paint in middletown should have the fusor, if not i think valvoline has something similar, i use there panel adhesive and it works good.