Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Tie rod / rack question. [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod / rack question.

Rick93coupe
02-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Trying to dial in a close alignment on my car and don't have much thread engagement from the rack into the tie rods, how much would you consider safe? There's probably no more than 1/2" on either side. Not sure if a bump steer kit will help me there or not but I'm pretty certain I need one on this setup.

Maximus
02-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Trying to dial in a close alignment on my car and don't have much thread engagement from the rack into the tie rods, how much would you consider safe? There's probably no more than 1/2" on either side. Not sure if a bump steer kit will help me there or not but I'm pretty certain I need one on this setup.

Yikes! I would not trust all that hard work on less than 1/2". Get a bumbsteer kit

Kwik92GT
02-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Yikes! I would not trust all that hard work on less than 1/2". Get a bumbsteer kit

^^THIS!^^

I thought you already had one Tricky?

Rick93coupe
02-28-2011, 11:20 PM

That's what I was thinking, just seems too sloppy. You saying a bumpsteer kit will fix that? I've never needed one before.

Rick93coupe
02-28-2011, 11:21 PM
^^THIS!^^

I thought you already had one Tricky?

Nope, just threw the front end on the car to get it from one place to the next and now I'm dialing it all in permanently.

Maximus
03-01-2011, 12:49 AM
That's what I was thinking, just seems too sloppy. You saying a bumpsteer kit will fix that? I've never needed one before.

Yes it will. :bigthumb

Steves LX
03-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Rule of thumb is 1.5 X the diameter of your tie rod end(where the threads are). So if you are running stock tie rod ends they are .5 or (1/2"). So you would take 1.5x.5 which = .75 or (3/4). So 3/4" would be the minimum you could have threaded into your tie rod end and still consider it safe.

Rick93coupe
03-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Rule of thumb is 1.5 X the diameter of your tie rod end(where the threads are). So if you are running stock tie rod ends they are .5 or (1/2"). So you would take 1.5x.5 which = .75 or (3/4). So 3/4" would be the minimum you could have threaded into your tie rod end and still consider it safe.

Thanks Steve, thats good info. I went ahead and picked up a MM bumpsteer kit, so it should be fine now.