Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Aluminum driveshaft [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum driveshaft

4EYED85GT
02-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Is it worth the money to go from a stock driveshaft to an aluminum one? I appreciate any advice or personal experiences with aluminum driveshafts.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
I initially bought mine just because i wanted one...i thought it was cool (this was back when they were only $165 though). When i first got my car, it had this harmonic vibration at highway speeds....after installing the aluminum shaft it was gone. A lot of people say they're the ticket if you have aftermarket gears in the rear end...something about how they absorb harmonic vibration. I just assumed my stock shaft was out of balance...it could be both issues.

In the end, for me it's just piece of mind. You have a lighter/stronger shaft with brand new universals. Like i said though, that was back when they were a lot cheaper than they are now. If you're on a budget parts wise you could spend that money on better things but if you think you need to freshen up your stock universals and you want a lighter/stronger shaft then go for it.

Pitbull1052
02-28-2011, 09:09 PM
i'm not positive but i'd think anytime you reduce the rotating mass you're freeing up HP

Walter
03-01-2011, 07:30 AM
When I had a manual trans i ran a FMS alum driveshaft. The splines in the slip yoke twisted. Then i swapped to a c4 and went with a custom Dynotech Engineering aluminum shaft, MW billet slip yoke, 1350 joints front and rear and Moser 1350 pinion yoke with a solid spacer.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-01-2011, 07:34 AM
i'm not positive but i'd think anytime you reduce the rotating mass you're freeing up HP

You do but it's very small, plus the shaft is a larger diameter which is a trade off to being lighter.

2Kblacksleeper
03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Damn Walter, that's a stout shaft you have...

I couldn't resist. Lol
I've a good friend in the drive shaft business. Those are very good parts.

Walter
03-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks pal!

bronzeLX
03-01-2011, 05:26 PM
When I had a manual trans i ran a FMS alum driveshaft. The splines in the slip yoke twisted. Then i swapped to a c4 and went with a custom Dynotech Engineering aluminum shaft, MW billet slip yoke, 1350 joints front and rear and Moser 1350 pinion yoke with a solid spacer.Hey Walter, kinda new on here, that is a stout driveshaft, what kind of car and engine combo do you have?