Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
1989 Mustang Build [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Mustang Build

89redgt
02-22-2011, 08:16 PM
I figured I should start a project thread for my car.

First some background. The car is a 1989 5 speed GT with 163,000 miles. Needless to say the motor in the car was a bit worn out and I wanted some more power. I bought this car bone stock six years ago.

Current mods
Underdrive pulleys
Headers, off road H, flowmaster cat back
Hurst shifter with steeda tri ax handle
Spec stage 1 clutch
Energy suspension motor and trans mount
5 lug conversion with bullet wheels
I have 3.73 gears and a rebuilt trac lock sitting on the work bench.

Now for the winter project
I bought an explorer motor with GT-40 heads, a tfs stage 1 cam and the tfs valve spring kit already installed. The motor has around 70,000 miles and the cam and valve springs have 0 miles on them. The motor came without an intake but I already had a explorer intake that I pulled from the junkyard last year with the throttle body. I just needed to pull out the old motor and put in the new one or so I thought. Once I got the old motor out I realized that both shock towers were in need of major repair. This is where I will start the documentation of the project. I don’t have any pics of the shock towers yet but I will get some this weekend. The first pic is the old motor ready to be removed.

Maximus
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
With only 6 posts....You had me at "I figured I should start a project thread for my car."

Keep the pics coming!!:bigthumb

89redgt
02-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Here are the pics of the shock towers. The plan is to cut out the rusted area and replace it with 10 gauge steel for the frame section and some 16 gauge steel for the shock tower. It looks bad. I am hoping that once I start cutting I don't have to cut to much out before I get to some good metal.

89redgt
02-27-2011, 06:39 PM
I did some cutting today. I the rusted area is gone. Now the plan is to paint the inside of the sub frame with KBS rust seal. It is a three step process that is supposed to stop rust. I hope it works. I got the first two steps done today and the last thing I have to do is paint. Once I get it painted I am going to weld in a piece of 10 gauge steel and maybe some 16 gage to make it as good as new. I have not decided yet. I may just use all 10 gauge. Here are some pics from today of the area after I cut the rust out.

93snake
02-27-2011, 06:59 PM
looks like it is coming along nicely!

NaomiDstangLvr
02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Good luck with the build! Keep us updated!

R825OH
02-27-2011, 07:51 PM
any progress is good progress! Its lookin good!

89redgt
02-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks, its going a little slower than I thought. I had originally hoped to have the car running my March but that is not going to happen. That was also before I found out that I needed to do some work on the shock towers. That was also when I was working normal hours, I am working overtime now. My job cuts into my Mustang time. Now I am hoping to have the car running by April.

lxenvy
02-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Nice, Good job so far on the repair. Most ppl would slap some paint on it and call it a day. Like everyone else has said keep them coming. And welcome

89johnny
02-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Looks nice! My 89s strut towers are way worse than yours, but i love it and refuse to get a different shell. Keep up the good work!

89redgt
04-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Progress has been slow but here are some pics after painting. The paint was a little thinner than I thought it dripped of the brush a fair amount. I was also able to get the plates cut and ready to weld in. I plan on welding them either tomorrow night or this weekend.

89redgt
04-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I was also able to get some things painted. Everything but the lower intake was blasted with glass beads. The lower intake, the timing chain cover and headers were painted. The valve covers and the alt bracket were burnished with steel shot and then cleared. Before pics

The alt bracket pic is the after pic

89redgt
04-06-2011, 09:45 PM
After pics

89redgt
04-06-2011, 09:48 PM
lower intake after, and alt bracket before. I posted the wrong alt bracket pic above.

408COUPE
04-06-2011, 09:55 PM
looks like it is comeing along

89redgt
04-28-2011, 08:50 PM
I have not been too good about taking pictures the last part of the motor swap. Here is an update. I got the new plates welded in and painted. I also got the motor in the car last Saturday but I still needed some a few more parts before I was able to start it. I stop by the parts store last night and got the belt and lower hose for the water pump. Started the car up last night and for the first ten minutes I was worried. I knew the lifters needed to pump up but I was not sure how long they would take. Eventually they all pumped up and the motor sounded great. There are still a few more cosmetic things that I have to do in the engine bay but for now the car runs so at least I can drive it. I miss not being able to drive the car now that it is getting nice out. The hardest part of this is I put a new spec stage 2 clutch in the car and I can’t beat on the car for 500 miles. I am going to try to put 500 miles on it as fast as I can.

aaron92fox
04-28-2011, 10:20 PM
car looks good. and i know what you went threw on the first start up. i just got mine back up and running sunday. i didnt think it was ever goin to quit knocking.

89redgt
01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
I was finally able to talk my father into helping me install the rebuilt track lock and the 3.73 gears that I have had for a while. I was a little nervous about setting up the gears but it was actually easier than I thought it would be. The rear end is quiet, it does two wheel burnouts and it pulls a lot harder. I’m happy for now.