Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Shady car sale, need advice [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shady car sale, need advice

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-11-2011, 04:24 PM
I went and looked at a Crown Vic today, and i really like it and want it. The problem is, this guy says he's a dealership or works for one or something like that, and doesn't have a title to give me and says he can give me a bill of sale, and then mail me the title.

I'm thinking, NO, but i just wanted to see if this sounded legit to anyone? How could i go about buying this car and safeguarding myself to make sure i don't get screwed?

bobtsgt
02-11-2011, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't do it. See where the title is being held and make sure its in his name. Then go to that bank and get everything switched over.

blue5.8
02-11-2011, 04:31 PM
x2 on this i almost got burnt on a deal like this car was reported stolen. do not buy with out a title in hand

Goldeneagle
02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Get the vin# and take it to the local sheriffs department and have them run the number to see who actualy owns the car. Then ask them what would be your best bet to acquire a title. That would be your safest way.

Ranger50
02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Simple rule.. No title in hand is a NO SALE.

BTDT and had to do a bunch of BS and cash to get one.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Yeah this is what my gut feeling was. It's a damn shame too because this car is great looking. It's a bit more than i wanted to spend but it's worth it. Oh well...the search continues.

redfirepearlgt
02-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah this is what my gut feeling was. It's a damn shame too because this car is great looking. It's a bit more than i wanted to spend but it's worth it. Oh well...the search continues.

Was in a similar "love affair" with a 93 yellow chrome fox body convertible. Price was too good to be true. Turned out the guy had title issues and after doing some searching found that the car was a salvage titled car that had been slammed both front rear on two different occassions and totalled. In fact when talking to him he didn't have title either at that moment but claimed he could provide one within the 20 day temp tag expiration if I bought it. Glad I backed away even though the car was really playing my heartstrings. Man I have a soft spot for the limited edition yellow chrome convertible. Not as bad as it once was though, time heals all wounds. LOL!!

NO SHOT
02-11-2011, 05:21 PM
If he is a dealer or selling the car through a dealer.He can not hand you the title unless it is all the way in your name.That is how it works as long as you have a bill of sale with the correct info and vins there should be no problem.Make him show you his ID and also write you a reciept with the purchase order.Its against the law for a dealer to hand you a title thats not already been recorded and taxes paid.Hope this helps.:bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-11-2011, 05:23 PM
If he is a dealer or selling the car through a dealer.He can not hand you the title unless it is all the way in your name.That is how it works as long as you have a bill of sale with the correct info and vins there should be no problem.Make him show you his ID and also write you a reciept with the purchase order.Its against the law for a dealer to hand you a title thats not already been recorded and taxes paid.Hope this helps.:bigthumb

This is exactly what he told me....just the fact we were at this guy's house felt really shady.

Lets say worst case scenario....i buy it, he gives me a receipt and bill of sale and all that, and i go get my 30 day tag...and then he never sends me a title. What would i do?

NO SHOT
02-11-2011, 05:28 PM
If he really is a dealer the state would pound him.Why is he selling it from home where is the lot he is going through.I would tell him to meet you a that lot to do the paper work if you want the car.If for some reason he doesnt want to go there that could be a red flag.

NO SHOT
02-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Its not legal for a dealer to "CURB" cars.So just tell him to meet you at the lot you would feel more comfortable about the deal.:bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I told him i wanted to go to the lot and he said it was fine but seemed like he would rather do the deal at his house. That really put me off. I may call him back and tell him to bring it to the dealership and give me the address and go there and check it out.

Dirtyd0g
02-11-2011, 05:41 PM
I have mailed people titles when I didn't have them transfered correctly or somethign like that. It is a rough call, I have to say go with your gut if it doesn't seem right it probably isn't.
Alan

NO SHOT
02-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I told him i wanted to go to the lot and he said it was fine but seemed like he would rather do the deal at his house. That really put me off. I may call him back and tell him to bring it to the dealership and give me the address and go there and check it out.

If he will meet you there you will know if he acts like something is wrong.

5.0calypso93lx
02-11-2011, 05:46 PM
What's the guys name by chance? This same type of issue happened to me when I bought my 300zx. I told him I'd meet him downtown to get the title done and then I would pay for the car. Guys name was Bam Morris I think.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-11-2011, 05:53 PM
I didn't get his name oddly enough....he was an older man, lives off Montgomery Rd.

sean
02-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Get the dealer name and DO IT AT THE DEALER. Its prob a trade in and still in that persons name. Either way he should be able to show you the title and get it done. If he is just trying to title jump it to you so he doesnt have to pay taxes on it thats one thing. He should still have the title, who evers name its in, it should be noterised and ready to go. If he cant show you the title and will not do it at the lot move on. I would not risk it. Also you will have a hard time finding whos name the title is in if its an ohio title too. I go through this daily where I am at and unless you know whose name its in they will not tell you. Unless you have connections.

Mista Bone
02-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I didn't get his name oddly enough....he was an older man, lives off Montgomery Rd.

Behind Steak and Shake?

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-12-2011, 05:02 AM
No he was way down one end...i'm not real familiar with the area, his house was way back in the woods.