Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Looking for a cheap beater [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cheap beater

93snake
02-06-2011, 08:01 PM
well my winter ride just went bye-bye, wondering if anyone has or knows someone selling a cheap beater, just looking for something that runs and drives, doesnt matter car , truck, even a mini van or staiton wagon:D pretty much only thing that matters is needs to run and drive...heat would be nice, working wipers a plus and kind of would like to have head lights... but not trying to be picky. Just need soon and cheap. Would like to get from someone rather than just off craigslist (but thats where I am headed if I cant find something) Let me know, thanks

Buckeye
02-06-2011, 08:12 PM
How much you looking to spend? I have a 94 accord ex I am on the fence about selling.

93snake
02-06-2011, 08:17 PM
the cheaper the better :bigthumb

Mista Bone
02-06-2011, 09:24 PM
how much work you looking to put into it?

Cheap beater Civic, needs a lot of little items but I've no time to work on it. I have most of the parts or lifetime warranty through Autozone (axles).

Perfect DD once some items are fixed....and you and a quart of oil every 1,000 miles.

Cold AC which is why I bought it though SBZ for $1000.

Scrap value is about $250

93snake
02-06-2011, 09:39 PM
whats wrong? not afraid of working on one, you saying it need a halfshaft? to be driven... and what else

Mista Bone
02-06-2011, 10:35 PM
front LCA's, ball joints (have) axles (see before) and when it warms up a master cylinder (have replacement)......

That is the easy stuff.

One spark plug started to pull threads when I tried to replace it so I put it back in, still runs great.

Bent wheel....which works great with bad LCA's!

Can't think of what else is wrong as I don't care about it anymore.

The GOOD from when I bought it....

NEW thick radiator, turns out the coolant switch is bad, I never replaced it, just used a paperclip

NEW exhaust

NEW distributor from Dist. King.

Those new parts alone were close to $500.

I put about 15-20K miles on it this way until the front LCA bushing got bad enough to wipe out the tires for varible toe settings.

If needed I'd still drive it as a backup, just not in the snow.....that toe issue gets scary!

Mista Bone
02-06-2011, 10:42 PM
I put about 30k rough miles on this.....

http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65442

with some added LF damage...

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/bonespec/4%20Door%20DX/P8210002.jpg

Dirtyd0g
02-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Define cheap $500, $1500, $5000?
Alan

93snake
02-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Define cheap $500, $1500, $5000?
Alan

lol, I wouldnt call $5000 cheap! less than a $1k

87stangbbb
02-06-2011, 11:46 PM
find you an s10. cant go wrong there

93snake
02-06-2011, 11:56 PM
understand those little s10s are good buys and can sometimes find them cheap, just hate to put much in something I will not be driving in a couple of months, just looking for a winter/bad weather beater.

Dirtyd0g
02-06-2011, 11:59 PM
lol, I wouldnt call $5000 cheap! less than a $1k

Depends on what it is, If someone offered you a good running powerstroke for $5000 I suggest you take it. My buddy got one of those deals for $3500 because it needed a transmission and it was still cheap.
Alan

93snake
02-07-2011, 12:24 AM
fair enough, but thats not really what I am trying to find as a winter driver and it would be too nice for me to leave at the truck stop and hope its there when I get back lol

Dirtyd0g
02-07-2011, 01:10 AM
I guess I still didn't make my point what is "cheap" Personally to me any car under about $1200 is either someone just wanting to get rid of it or too crappy to be worth having. Deals do happen from time to time however. A buddy of mine called me last week looking for a $350-$600 car that his daughter could drive for a year or 2 until she paid off her broken down jeep that she cannot afford to replace the motor and transmission in. People have different opinions of cheap and expectations of what it should be.
Alan

87stangbbb
02-07-2011, 01:56 AM
who cares.i mean really

Dirtyd0g
02-07-2011, 01:58 AM
I know of several cars around is why I ask. I know a guy with a decent ranger for $2200, I have a good running taurus for $1800, my neighbor has a full size chevrolet for $900. I ask with reason. Another friend of mine has an astro van she is asking $2500 for.
Alan

Mista Bone
02-07-2011, 02:38 AM
Alan, you MAY have a good running Taurus. If I get the other four tires dismounted and haul them out your way....well I might have a Furd to drive!

KB1
02-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Eric, a guy here at work has a Toyota Previa van 92 or 93 230k 4cyl. Auto.

w/ rear drive! $600.00, it was his friends Moms van, seems to run out very well.

Kevin

93snake
02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
I guess I still didn't make my point what is "cheap" Personally to me any car under about $1200 is either someone just wanting to get rid of it or too crappy to be worth having. Deals do happen from time to time however. A buddy of mine called me last week looking for a $350-$600 car that his daughter could drive for a year or 2 until she paid off her broken down jeep that she cannot afford to replace the motor and transmission in. People have different opinions of cheap and expectations of what it should be.
Alan

Not at all, I did say you had a point, about what is cheap is relative to each persons ideas... but IF you prefer, then I should change the title to ," looking for crappy car that runs " Heck I thought that was implied when I said wipers and lights and heat would be a plus but not a deal breaker :D
I drove a little import a couple years ago that smoked when started, burned oil while driving, fowled plugs like they were candy ,had enough toggle swicthes across the dash that NASA would have been proud! (because I did wire up lights and wipers and starter and blower !) and didnt have working OD, was a 300 dollar POS but kept me from driving the lightning or stangs this time of year (and for the record 2 different people "bumped" it in bad weather that would have pissed me off if they had hit one of my other cars)
Anyhow, your opinion was noted and given credit in the prevose post, Thanks Eric

93snake
02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Eric, a guy here at work has a Toyota Previa van 92 or 93 230k 4cyl. Auto.

w/ rear drive! $600.00, it was his friends Moms van, seems to run out very well.

Kevin

Yea man, pm me a phone number! waitting on some call backs right now so still looking, thanks :bigthumb

Dirtyd0g
02-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Not at all, I did say you had a point, about what is cheap is relative to each persons ideas... but IF you prefer, then I should change the title to ," looking for crappy car that runs " Heck I thought that was implied when I said wipers and lights and heat would be a plus but not a deal breaker :D
I drove a little import a couple years ago that smoked when started, burned oil while driving, fowled plugs like they were candy ,had enough toggle swicthes across the dash that NASA would have been proud! (because I did wire up lights and wipers and starter and blower !) and didnt have working OD, was a 300 dollar POS but kept me from driving the lightning or stangs this time of year (and for the record 2 different people "bumped" it in bad weather that would have pissed me off if they had hit one of my other cars)
Anyhow, your opinion was noted and given credit in the prevose post, Thanks Eric

What I was getting at was a price range so that I could ask people what they had in that range. A $600 van sounds like a good enough deal, if it doesn't work out I mentioned what I know of. The ranger sold yesterday.I am not sure about the van.
Alan

bingo
02-09-2011, 02:14 PM
I have a 84 ltd fox body car with a 302 and 115,000 miles that I have been using as a winter driver, I will take 700 for it. Dennis 403-2204.

93snake
02-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Big thanks to everyone who helped out, got a minor wrecked car but it runs and stops and has KILLER heat... working on getting both headlights to work lol anyhow thanks everyone!!