Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Project Black Bird [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Project Black Bird

Dirtyd0g
01-27-2011, 03:52 PM
A little history on this car. My mom bought the car for me shortly after my step dad passed. My sister needed money for a down payment on her house so to be fair my mom bought me this car. I have had the car since 01-02 somewhere in there. When I got the car it had 75,000 miles on it. I took it to edgewater a few days after I bought it and it went 16.20 repeatedly.
The next step was to change wheels. A good friend of mine had parted out a supercoupe and the wheels were very damaged. He gave them to me in hopes I could make good use of them. I took the one that was split to Morehouse and those guys welded it up for me. I then sandblasted, sanded, and ground the paint and plastic covering off them and polished them to a shine. I put a tune up on it, built a slightly better converter and the car went 15.80's
After that I tackled the suspension with Springtech 1.75 drop springs, new bushing throughout, tie rod ends, upper and lower control arms, strut rod bushings, just about everything you could imagine. I pulled the rearend out and put a set of used 3.73 gears in it with a mustang traction lock I modified for IRS use. I also swapped the rear brakes to discs. The original transmission was destroyed so I pulled it out and did a quick refresh on it and installed the first ever of my 10 inch converters. The car ran 15.30's on this setup however I learned quickly the original transmission to this car just wasn't good enough.
I purchased a used 98 markVIII transmission and built it considerably better. I then changed the converter once again to yet another prototype a 9.5 inch triple plate unit that I built for it. The stall on that converter was 4200. I Also had the car tuned by Darrin Burch of BC automotive and installed a used set of march underdrive pulleys. The gains were not what I hoped as the motor was starting to get tired. The car was running in the 14.85 range.
I took the car down to morehouse and had them build me an entire exhaust system on the car. Making the car run 14.55 however by then the motor was in excess of 200,00 miles and burning more oil than gas. I had however met my goal for the stock engine being as far as I know the fastest all stock 95 4.6 in a thunderbird. I then had a good set of 96 4.6 heads and a set of PI cams and of course a PI intake so I figured I would put all of that on there with new valve seals and control the oil consumption while trying to finish collecting parts to build a much better engine for the car.
I was too late once I got the heads off I found the piston ring lands destroyed. The engine was spent.
After several plans that don't seem to pan out for one reason or another I started the new build which I hope to have running soon.
I got a 96 non LSC motor for $50 off a friend who offered it to me and I told him I didn't want it. He then said $50 and I could not turn it down. I sold the upper engine parts to another guy for $75(what he offered me for them)
Now I started using parts I have collected. From the bottom up the engine has these parts. I took it all apart and put it back together.

-MarkVIII oil pan and larger 96 pickup tube and pump.
-96 markVIII block, pistons and rods. Bearings have been inspected and looked good. I fly cut the piston to allow extra valve clearance with this higher compression setup.
-ARP main stud kit
-ARP head stud kit
-Trick flow head gaskets
-Trick Flow timing component kit
-The headers are Kooks and only available from Bill at supercoupe performance in Milford. He brought his car down here so that Dave Dalke of Supercoupes unlimited and I could do tons of work to it. He paid me with a pair of Ceramic Coated Headers, Percy's gaskets and bolts to attach them to the heads.
-Heads I traded a converter to Big Shot dyno for. They were hand ported by someone but had stainless valves and bronze guides. I sent them to Nick at Modular head shop to have them reworked.I also worked a trade with Nick.
- The cams are custom ground by Bullet racing cams. I had them made for a customer who has me doing an engine for him. His transmission went out on him and he needed to get it going so I took the cams that were made for his setup in part of the trade.
- The intake I am still nto sure what I will do. I have a Trick Flow intake that I purchased when I did my buy in to Trick Flow however this setup may be faster with an OEM PI intake manifold. Only time will tell.
- The injectors are stock from the MarkVIII engine.
-Timing cover is the original from my 95 which is the preferred cover for any Teksid swap.

Now I still need Valve covers to fit these windsor heads, Motor mounts and I have to build myself a new converter because I sold that one off. It is expected for me to anytime I take the converter out of my car to refresh it and sell it. After all they were originally prototypes every time.
More information coming as I get a few more pictures prepared and discuss timing of the cams. I need to get a throttle body yet as well.
Alan

Dirtyd0g
01-27-2011, 04:07 PM
More pictures. Including my homemade tool for airing the cylinder to install the lightweight check spring. Also note I used play dough to check for PTV contact. A common practice around here, nobody wants bent valves!
Alan

94tchikinv8
01-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Keep up the good work Alan, I hope to see it at the shootout this year! Do you have an N/A ET goal in mind?

I'm hoping my bird is rolling again this year, my brother is working on the passenger rocker as I'm typing. Once he gets the body work done and the car painted, I can figure out the drivetrain situation.

-Rob

Dirtyd0g
01-27-2011, 06:46 PM
I honestly have no clue what this thing will run. I hope to have 2 cars at the shootout, my wifes doesn't need much more work.
Alan

Dirtyd0g
01-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Custom made heater pipe, A brass Tee on top to allow for a barb the heater hose can connect to, a fitting the temp sensor for the climate control to plug in to. I welded a brass bolt to the side for a ground to make sure the sensor gets grounded then drilled out the tee to the size of the pipe and welded it together. The bracket to hold it on is a piece of the old guide rail.
Alan

Dirtyd0g
02-01-2011, 03:25 PM
The converter I am building for myself has proven to be one of the most challenging yet. I have built about 5 of these and keep thinking I will find an easier way to remove time from these very labor intensive builds. The unit is a 9 inch pump and turbine with a late design stator. A complete hybrid combination that I have assembled for the torque multiplication it offers. This Stator is a very new thing and impossible to market because they are very hard to get. I get a torque multiplication of 3.11:1. The lockup piston is a solid 1 piece piston that I bonded a high carbon friction to. I will do plenty of racing on it to see how well it handles the abuse. The worst part of this build is the front cover. They are a nightmare to build in the way of time. Getting parts that are welded together precise and balanced is very time consuming. I will not do things the TCI way of weld it on there at whatever looks good and then throw a lb or 2 of weight on it to balance it. Enough of the chit chat here are the pics.
Alan