Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Handgun opinons please [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Handgun opinons please

01cobra
01-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Some quick background: I have owned a few revolvers (.38 and .357) one semi auto 9mm S&W (I think it was a P49 model) and many rifles and shotguns. I still have a couple rifles and shotguns but no longer own a handgun. I have decided to purchase a hand gun. I do not want another revolver. I want a semi auto hand gun in .40 or .45 caliber. Well I think thats what I want anyway. I'm not a gun expert. I have very little experience with hand guns. The gun will be used for home defense. It will not be used to carry as I do not posess a permit. I dont really have a firm budget but I would like to stay around $500. I can spend more but I can not bring myself to drop a $1000 on a gun of any kind. Well maybe if I could sink a ship or shoot aircraft out of the sky with it I would. I like the Springfield XD and I dont really like the way the Glock feels in my hand. (I looked at both of these guns at Bass Pro) With that being said I have read many of the debates on the gun forums out there. I know the 1911 is supposed to be the cats ass of hand guns. But it seems everything I read about them people have to modify this and that, gold plate the trigger, customized barrel and a bunch of crap I dont want to deal with. I know I am considered an inexperienced user and a revolver is technically suppose to be the best choice for me. But I dont want one. The one 9mm Smith I had used an aluminum frame and was to small for me. It had a tendancy to snap or roll back, sorry I dont know the technical term for this motion. I was told it was because it had an aluminum frame and was to light. I dont know for sure? But if this is true wont any lightweight plastic gun like the XD or Glock do the same thing? So anyway what do all you gun guys think? I want to go to the gun show at the end of the month and pick something up so I am interested in your opnions and why.

Mista Bone
01-17-2011, 11:40 PM
I prefer the Glock for being so simple, like a revolver.

You do NOT have to modify a 1911. I have a BONE STOCK 1914 that shoots better than I can.

The recoil for the ALUM is just because it is light. But the recoil isn't as bad a 357 with 125 JHP's in it.

I suggest 40 S&W as it is cheaper to shoot than 45 ACP.

I've not shot a Sig, XD, or S&W semi. I do like my Ruger after it got a needed trigger job, but it still has a lot of take up in the trigger.

skeptiq
01-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Eaa witness in 40 cal might be good one to look at or the stoeger cougar. Both solid and the Eaa comes in a more compact size but still big enough for big paws. Both should be around your price range too. Check out WWW.gunbroker.com to get market prices. It's the ebay of guns.

Good luck! For what its worth most will say te BEST home defence gun is an 18 inch 12 gauge. Mossberg or remmy.

306Power
01-18-2011, 12:02 AM
I've got a 40 S&W Caliber Smith and Wesson Sigma that isn't bad. It's basically a Glock copy, affordable for what it is but beware of the heavy trigger with it.

skeptiq
01-18-2011, 12:08 AM
I had a sigma in 9mm and hated the trigger. Other than that it was great, never failed to fire, very accurate after you get used to trigger, and no stovepipes so all in all great gun too. If you can get past the trigger A trip to gun smith would have fixed it but thats not a gun you sink work into. Those can be picked up at a gun show for 300ish last time i went. They also had a fifty dollar mail in rebate on the sigmas.

306Power
01-18-2011, 12:35 AM
The triggers on the Sigma's do suck really bad, I'm still not all that accurate with it lol. I've fired it quite a bit and it's never failed no matter or jammed. I clean my guns every single time after I take them out to fire them though.

skeptiq
01-18-2011, 12:44 AM
The triggers on the Sigma's do suck really bad, I'm still not all that accurate with it lol. I've fired it quite a bit and it's never failed no matter or jammed. I clean my guns every single time after I take them out to fire them though.

They really are rest guns. I am ocd with cleaning guns. Always clean after a shoot. I think its time for me to get another gun. All this talk of guns is making mewant to shoot again. At the height of obamascare and guns I actually got offered a ton of cash for my handguns and ammo. Too good to pass up. Been waiting for right time to buy and prices are finally reasonable and ammo is finally available.

306Power
01-18-2011, 12:51 AM
No doubt about that looking back on it a 9 MM would have been much better for what I use it for ammo price wise, my next gun will be an AR-15... Just not sure when that'll be because I'm trying to finish the car before anything else.

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-18-2011, 01:59 AM
1911s are like the Fox Mustang of the gun world...you can make them into just about anything. You don't HAVE to mod them, people do because its easy and there are tons of options.

87stangbbb
01-18-2011, 02:01 AM
glock. was it a rough textured frame glock you held at bass pro? if so i hate them. but you can order the old style, thats what i did. its a great gun. its a model 22. 40 cal. very comfortable in my kinda big hands. i got mine out the door for $555.00. the last time i was at bass pro they were like 700.lol. they'll be around what i paid when you go to the gun show.let us know what you choose

Dirtyd0g
01-18-2011, 02:51 AM
I bought a brand new hi point for $180 (.40) and I really cannot complain about it, a little heavy but if you aren't planning on carrying it that isn't a problem. Shoots really accurate, down side is you really need to hold it with 2 hands because the clip doesn't stay up very well. After about 3 rounds one handed the clip drops a little bit and it doesn't load the next round. The 9mm on the other hand seems to jam too much. I do prefer S&W .40's over everything I have fired.
Alan

Walter
01-18-2011, 04:29 AM
I bought a brand new hi point for $180 (.40) and I really cannot complain about it, a little heavy but if you aren't planning on carrying it that isn't a problem. Shoots really accurate, down side is you really need to hold it with 2 hands because the clip doesn't stay up very well. After about 3 rounds one handed the clip drops a little bit and it doesn't load the next round. The 9mm on the other hand seems to jam too much. I do prefer S&W .40's over everything I have fired.
Alan

:lol:

RACEME
01-18-2011, 06:03 AM
I thought about Hi Points also, but when it came down to my life depending on it, I went with the XD40 sub compact. I have my CCW so I actually carry my brothers XD40 til I get my own in a month or so. They are right at $500

orangeconv
01-18-2011, 08:09 AM
I have a sig, its nice for a carry gun I also have a 1911 and the only thing I would recommend on the 1911 is some packmyer grips they made a huge diff. I recommend a 40cal to narrow that down, had a few glocks there good.I like the package deal they have for the xd though. Buget is the factor.

DeckerEnt
01-18-2011, 08:40 AM
I carry a taurus milenium in .45. They also offer it in .40 and 9mm. When empty, it feels so front heavy but put 10 rounds in it and it is balanced well. It is a .45 so it does kick up but it does have a 2 inch barrel. Any .40 is going to kick up on you. It is just the .40 round. Mine was in the 300 range. No problems with it at all.

duststang
01-18-2011, 08:47 AM
around $500 range stick to Spring Field XD, Glock, Sig you will be very happy. I have some friends that traded in their guns for a XD after shooting one. Im not big fan of Taurus, Sigma but i they are decent for the price. Go to the range and if you see someone shooting ask them about it, if they like it and why. Most of the time people will let you try their gun.

skeptiq
01-18-2011, 08:47 AM
The XD series are very nice and the trigger is smooth as butter... at least the couple I have fired. My brother in law carries a 9mm sprinfield xd.

ADaughen
01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Have you tried the Smith M&P? Better trigger than the Sigma, grip isn't as blocky as the Glock. It is also in your price range.

9mm doesn't usually "snap". .40s&w in a compact plastic frame will.

I would suggest getting with one of the guys on here that have the calibers and guns you want to shoot before you go buy one.

I currently have access to Smith M&Pc 9mm, Ruger GP100 .38spl, H&K USPc .40s&w, ParaOrd P14-45 1911 .45acp., and maybe a Glock G22 .40s&w.

93RedNotch
01-18-2011, 09:47 AM
I like the Glock 19 .40 cal over anything else for personal defense. They are pretty cheap and shoot great for the price. Another pistol i really like is the 1911 colt commander model. Its shorter and lighter than a full size 1911 but is a little more expensive than the glock.

thecollector
01-18-2011, 09:51 AM
I picked up my XD-40 @ a dayton gunshow last year for $465 new, they can often times be bought a little better than that. The new XD-M series are cool but my paws felt better around the original style (old style was also cheaper). Ive put several boxes of Ammo thru it and have yet to have a misfeed/misfire/jam. I have the service model as I prioritized the accuracy over concealment since you don't plan to carry I would recommend the full size over the sub's. If you pick up some shells I've been needing an excuse to go to the range:). I chose the XD's for price, reputation and options availability.

Pitbull1052
01-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Kimber Ultra Carry II or CDP... for the 45 and my fav's for 40 Glock, Sig Sauer P220, XD40

Black92LX
01-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Why not get your concealed carry permit?????

But since you are not looking for a concealed carry gun, for your price range I don't think a CZ 75-P01 can be beat.
It's 9mm and has a magazine capacity of 18 and one in the chamber so 19 rounds which is quite nice.
The ergonomics are fantastic, the trigger is good (not the greatest), it's a full size gun, full metal gun, and should be had for around $450-$500.

A great dependable gun at a great price with lots of round capacity. I am with you on hating the feel of the Glock. I carry at least one wherever I go (though I do not have a choice in the matter, if I did I would carry something else).
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-sp-01/

2nd choice in that price range would be a full size Smith & Wesson M&P.

Though if you are willing to step up your price to around $700 or looking at the used market. The greatest Full Size Combat handgun in my opinion is the Sig 226. It's my bedside gun. Bought it the day I turned 21, have shot lots and lots of handguns and it is still my favorite and most likely ever will be. Only thing that may surpass it is the Sig 210 but that a different story and not exactly a combat handgun.

Again I would highly suggest getting your concealed carry.

87stangbbb
01-18-2011, 11:22 AM
I like the Glock 19 .40 cal over anything else for personal defense. They are pretty cheap and shoot great for the price. Another pistol i really like is the 1911 colt commander model. Its shorter and lighter than a full size 1911 but is a little more expensive than the glock.
glock 19 is a 9mm. at least you act like you know what your talking about.lol

Pops Fun
01-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Hi
You really need to handle a gun before buying.

Where are you located .... always ready to go shoot.
Have several 9mm's and a couple .45's

Steve

blown96cobra
01-18-2011, 12:04 PM
If you want a 1911 that doesnt require much work if any, look at the Taurus PT1911, I just pick up one and out of the box with no work it shoots better than some of the higher end springfields and kimbers Ive had, and its fairly cheap. 569 for the black parkerized version or pick up the polished stainless for around 700 out the door.

If your wanting to stay with a smaller compact look at the sig p250 or the glock 23.

Walter
01-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Glock 19 is a 9mm.

pegasus
01-18-2011, 12:06 PM
im not even going to wast my time reading this the answer is kimber

pegasus
01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi
You really need to handle a gun before buying.

Where are you located .... always ready to go shoot.
Have several 9mm's and a couple .45's

Steve

how about a sbz target world night??

93RedNotch
01-18-2011, 12:12 PM
glock 19 is a 9mm. at least you act like you know what your talking about.lol

what ever the compact model in 40 cal is what i meant but school computers wont let me search for "glock" so i couldnt figure out the right model number. but hey, i wish i knew everything like you.

87stangbbb
01-18-2011, 12:17 PM
maybe someday kid

duststang
01-19-2011, 08:12 AM
what ever feels right in your hand and has a great trig. good luck
sounds like SBZ need to get together maybe at outside range somewhere.

ADaughen
01-19-2011, 09:03 AM
what ever feels right in your hand and has a great trig. good luck
sounds like SBZ need to get together maybe at outside range somewhere.

I'd be up for that. I would really like an excuse to put some more rounds down my GP100 and 590A1. :bigthumb

DeckerEnt
01-20-2011, 01:01 PM
I could host a shooting day at my farm some weekend this spring. No limitations on what anyone can shoot, 150 yard range, about an hour south of the river. Let me know. Anyone who has been to a farm party knows the place!

Dirtyd0g
01-20-2011, 01:20 PM
I may be interested it would make a cool get together however I'd much rather shoot my rifles. I don't know why but I still prefer to shoot the SKS over the ar-15, my 22 is fun and cheap however.
Alan

02mingryGT
01-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Which Glock did you hold? I have the Glock 21 with the double stack mag.

BigBadStang
01-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Gun opinions are like belly buttons. The only way to select the 1 that YOU are comfortable with, is to go physically look (not on the damn web), hold them, feel how they operate and function (safeties, hammers, trigger action, slide action etc.) and make a decision from there. Remember, that ultimately YOU have to be comfortable enough with the firearm to be able to effectively use it in a high stress situation. You said you didn't want another revolver, right? It's hard to beat the simplicity, reliability and accuracy in a high stress situation that a revolver brings to the table.
On a side note, when using a firearm for HD, or CC, always, always , always be consistent with how and where you store the firearm (safety(s) on or off, chambered or not, placement and location). The less 'thinking' you have to do in the event of an intruder the more effective you will be.
Good luck, and enjoy the looking process!

BIGRED Z
01-24-2011, 02:16 AM
I carry a taurus milenium in .45. They also offer it in .40 and 9mm. When empty, it feels so front heavy but put 10 rounds in it and it is balanced well. It is a .45 so it does kick up but it does have a 2 inch barrel. Any .40 is going to kick up on you. It is just the .40 round. Mine was in the 300 range. No problems with it at all.

Love the Taurus Keith! I have two PT-92's. I still wanna get to Shooters, Kev has a few I wouldn't mind shooting, and now that he has the laser sights for the S&W I sold him, would like to try that out. When we go, bring the millenium, want to shoot it too.

01cobra
01-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Well thanks for all the replies. I know everyone has their own opnions and I appreciate them all. I stopped in over at target world this weekend and left with the Springfield XDm .40. I just liked the looks of the XDm over the XD. It came with some stuff in the box like the holster and some interchangable backstrap grips also. I took in out in back yard at the house and shot it a few times. Not nearly enough to know if I made the right decision. But at least I know I can hit a tree stump at 10yards. I probably could have gotten a better deal used but I dont feel I know enough to insure I would get a quality piece. So I went new price was $632.00. I think it was $734 tax title mounted and balanced with several boxes of ammo. I got an hour of free range time with it. However they were super busy Saturday and I didnt feel like waiting anymore so I will use it another day. But Im definately interested if you guys have some kind of shooting day. I would post a pic but anyone can check it out on Springfields web site. And I know I said I didnt want to modify anything but Im already wanting one of those crimson trace things or some night sights not sure which one yet though.

skeptiq
01-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Congrats, I think you'll be happy with it. My brother in law loves his Springfield.

GL,
Ben

Mista Bone
01-24-2011, 03:46 PM
After reading about the XDm in latest American Rifleman, I'm tempted for a new toy :)

ibstrokin
01-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Great choice. Excellent gun in a great caliber. I have a Glock 22 and a buddy has the XDm .40, I prefer his XDm to my Glock, but both are good guns.

Walter
01-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Prolly could have got that xdm $40 cheaper at Shooters Supply in Loveland and ammo would have been cheaper too. Id like to move a 92fs to get an xdm 9mm.

thecollector
01-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Prolly could have got that xdm $40 cheaper at Shooters Supply in Loveland and ammo would have been cheaper too. Id like to move a 92fs to get an xdm 9mm.

Shooters supply is pretty good.

The xd gear that comes with it has a holster that is junk, I know you don't plan on carrying but if you find yourself needing a holster spend 30 on an aftermarket holster its money well spent.

2Kblacksleeper
01-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Shooters is good. I get great deals at Hunters Den in amelia.

I picked up a stag m4 Ar-15 with removable carry handle for 740. Bought a case of ammo too.

John

Mista Bone
01-25-2011, 01:26 AM

I've bought from Shooter's WITHOUT issue, but Gary's Guns is local to me now and I try to support the locals.

Thanks to a ranting cracker store owner.

My Ruger P91, the trigger job was done through Shooter's when they where in the old part of Loveland.

Walter
01-25-2011, 04:14 AM

The xd gear that comes with it has a holster that is junk, I know you don't plan on carrying but if you find yourself needing a holster spend 30 on an aftermarket holster its money well spent.

Not worried about that. The last holster i bought was $140. Just sayin.