Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
F-250's [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : F-250's

97dustang
01-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I'd like to get into a F-250 and I was wondering how many of you guys had them and what your opinions are on them. In particular im looking at the 99-02 with the 7.3 diesel. Seems like the 03+ with the 6.0 diesel had a lot of problems, the v-10 gets horrible gas mileage, and the 5.4 gets the same mpg's as the diesel but the diesel has better towing capabilities. Any input is appreciated

Thanks,
Dustin

SN95N/A
01-17-2011, 09:30 PM
If you go with that year 7.3 go with late 99 to 02..They have the larger turbo,7.3 are very reliable I have an 01 that has a tuner,exhaust,intake,38r turbo,and stage 2 injectors it runs good and is very reliable.If you would like any more info Pm Me

02gt
01-17-2011, 09:46 PM
If you go with that year 7.3 go with late 99 to 02..They have the larger turbo,7.3 are very reliable I have an 01 that has a tuner,exhaust,intake,38r turbo,and stage 2 injectors it runs good and is very reliable.If you would like any more info Pm Me

Sn95n/a knows his stuff about them 7.3s lol he can give u some great info

06V6Andrew
01-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah i have worked on the 6.0L diesels and they make power but keeping them going is a chore 7.3 diesel's have been around for ever and the are still running strong!

Gene
01-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Watch for rust on the 7.3s. We just pulled apart one to replace a rusted out oil pan (which is a known issue on these), and found the power steering lines, tranmission cooler lines and a bunch of other stuff heavily rusted...like worse that I've seen on a lot of 1980s trucks...and this was on one that has been a one-owner and well taken care of since new.

SN95N/A
01-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Was it a plow truck?

97dustang
01-17-2011, 11:37 PM
What type of mpg's do you get out of yours? Thanks for all the replies. I'm tryin to find a 99-02 7.3 diesel with less than 100k but damn are they hard to find

SN95N/A
01-17-2011, 11:42 PM
When I went to truck pulls I averaged right around 21 on highway,keep in mind that I was playing around a big ha.all 3 of the 7.3's that I have owned have been really reliable.

SN95N/A
01-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Mine has 118k on it I take 15k.:)

97dustang
01-18-2011, 12:12 AM
What color is it? 4x4? Long or short bed? Extended cab? Thanks for all the info

RACEME
01-18-2011, 06:14 AM
You can't go wrong with the 7.3 trucks. Don't turn away from a F350 as the only differance is the blocks on the rear end are taller. I have had my 01 for 5 years and it has been great. The longer the truck is, the better ride quality it will have. My Crew cab long bed rides much nicer than a similar straight cab truck.

fastone
01-18-2011, 08:44 AM
I would still stick with my 6 liter. 25+mpg's empty, pulling 18G horse trailer to PA and back got right around 21-22 mpgs. I have very little work in my truck. You need to find someone who works on them for ford and become friends with them. The work I have done cost me about 4 grand, at the dealer would be over 8-9 and they would not do all the work either.

duststang
01-18-2011, 08:52 AM
I had the 7.3 and loved it ran great and reliable.

orangeconv
01-18-2011, 09:12 AM
my 7.3 has 330+ and runs like a champ, if you do the egr del and some other things you will be fine with a 6.0

mustangboy
01-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I have the same mods as sn95 on my excursion minus the injectors and it has been very reliable. I've done a water pump and the typical cam position sensor but other than that it has been great for the 137k it has. Even the tranny is holding up great even pulling a 31' camper several thousand miles a year.

97dustang
01-18-2011, 10:21 AM
cool, im glad to hear all the good feedback. I was reading reviews online and people absolutely just bash their trucks saying they're junk, but i guess the happy customers usually dont write reviews.

INSANEBA
01-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Well I havent owned either of them, but have been looking around at them lately. Seems you can get a powerstroke cheaper than a Cummins, which is what I really want. But I do know one thing, if you have an option ALWAYS take the 7.3 over the 6.0! I hear nothing but horrer stories on them. 90% of them have new motors in them right at 100,000 miles, and thats sad for a diesel. We have a wreck at my work that has a 6.0 in it, and people are ringing the phone off the hook wanting that motor. Everyone says theirs just let loose, so if you do need a motor break out that big fat checkbook! lol...

97dustang
01-18-2011, 11:37 AM
yea ive read that about those 6.0's on a ton of different forums and review sites. My biggest problem with owning a diesel is that the oil changes are so damn expensive lol

and another question for you diesel guys, do you ever have problems getting your truck started in the winter or does it not really get cold enough here for you to have to plug it in everywhere you go

SN95N/A
01-18-2011, 11:51 AM
I get my oil changed for 62$ in milford..as long as the glow plugs are working properly the truck wont have an issue starting,I havent had an issue with mine all winter.

INSANEBA
01-18-2011, 01:06 PM
yea ive read that about those 6.0's on a ton of different forums and review sites. My biggest problem with owning a diesel is that the oil changes are so damn expensive lol

and another question for you diesel guys, do you ever have problems getting your truck started in the winter or does it not really get cold enough here for you to have to plug it in everywhere you go

You can get Rotella syn for cheap at walmart, and as for plugging in, only should need to do that when it's gonna sit for a long time and it's gonna be cold...

fastone
01-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Well I havent owned either of them, but have been looking around at them lately. Seems you can get a powerstroke cheaper than a Cummins, which is what I really want. But I do know one thing, if you have an option ALWAYS take the 7.3 over the 6.0! I hear nothing but horrer stories on them. 90% of them have new motors in them right at 100,000 miles, and thats sad for a diesel. We have a wreck at my work that has a 6.0 in it, and people are ringing the phone off the hook wanting that motor. Everyone says theirs just let loose, so if you do need a motor break out that big fat checkbook! lol...

This is from owners of 6.0's that are retards. The 6.0 if tuned MUST also tune the transmission or you blow things up. With the recent fixes to the 6.0 it is becoming a very dependable engine. There is way more 6.0's out there than you know. Lots of problems are from improper care. AKA, fire depts, running the 6.0 hard as you can then shutting it off hot. That kills any diesel engine. Given my choice, it would be powerstrokes 6.7, 6.0, 6.4 then the 7.3. The 7.3 is just old school and not bashing those who run it, but its like running a four barrel vs. fuel injection on your mustang. It is a matter of what the person wants. But the 6.0 is a great engine, just had a rocky start. The only way I would get rid of mine is on a brand new 6.7. My truck also has over 125k on it. But it doesn't have any emissions on it either. Also mine is a 350 and I believe the 350 rides smoother than the 250's.

orangeconv
01-18-2011, 01:34 PM
If you have 200+ on the odo you need to plug it in. My odo states 330+ and probably has 400+ and as long as I plug my truck in it starts everytime.

5.0calypso93lx
01-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I would still stick with my 6 liter. 25+mpg's empty, pulling 18G horse trailer to PA and back got right around 21-22 mpgs. I have very little work in my truck. You need to find someone who works on them for ford and become friends with them. The work I have done cost me about 4 grand, at the dealer would be over 8-9 and they would not do all the work either.

I'm finding it really hard to believe you get 25+ empty or not. What are the specs on your truck? SC, EC or CC? I'm going to assume SRW? You are one of very few getting that type of mileage if you are. I see thread after thread of 6.0 owners bitching about there crappy gas mileage on ps.org

The 7.3 is where it's at. Don't need $4k worth of work for the average guy to make them reliable and run forever.

SN95N/A
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
^well said,I here around 16-18mpg on that forum.

97dustang
01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
What are the specs on your truck? SC, EC or CC? I'm going to assume SRW? .

Translation please? lol

06V6Andrew
01-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Single Cab, Extended Cab, Crew Cab. Single Rear Wheels.

6.0's have one problem that i am seeing with most of them and that is the turbo junking out. I know an 07 that is colled down prperly everytime he shuts it off and when he starts it back up it just blue smokes like crazy.

As for fuel it's a 350 SRW SC 4x4 an i would say if gets about 22 MPG (manual transmission and banks tuner) It has ball but it just seems like it wont last long.

97dustang
01-18-2011, 05:31 PM
i read somewhere that the 6.0's had problems overboosting? then maybe that leads to the turbo junkin out?

Whats the proper cooldown method? have a turbo timer and just let it idle for a while?

Someone buy my cobra so i can go get a truck lol

03z06vette
01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I think the proper cool down is EGT's under 400

06V6Andrew
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Yeah a turbo timer works wonders but you can just sit in the truck and wait about 5-10mins before shutting it off. If i had the money i would buy yor cobra....but i have a motorcycle i am still paying for! LOL

fastone
01-18-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm finding it really hard to believe you get 25+ empty or not. What are the specs on your truck? SC, EC or CC? I'm going to assume SRW? You are one of very few getting that type of mileage if you are. I see thread after thread of 6.0 owners bitching about there crappy gas mileage on ps.org

The 7.3 is where it's at. Don't need $4k worth of work for the average guy to make them reliable and run forever.

Crew cab single rear wheel. Truck has 4" turbo back exhaust with other things. The the exhaust is the big thing for increasing the MPGs, also my truck likes to run interstate at 80-90mph. The only ford truck website I visit anymore is fordtrucks.com. They are helpful when you have problems. And I think I said it earlier, if I didn't, if you have a 6.0 only run programs that also program trans. The only one I know of right now that is worth it is the SCT programmers. I know with my 6.0 I trust it to pull my wife, puppies and my horses anywhere anytime without a problem. Now I will probably be selling mine later this year but for the Ohio guys, it has no cats or EGR system. So it would not pass any emissions testing.

fastone
01-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Single Cab, Extended Cab, Crew Cab. Single Rear Wheels.

6.0's have one problem that i am seeing with most of them and that is the turbo junking out. I know an 07 that is colled down prperly everytime he shuts it off and when he starts it back up it just blue smokes like crazy.

As for fuel it's a 350 SRW SC 4x4 an i would say if gets about 22 MPG (manual transmission and banks tuner) It has ball but it just seems like it wont last long.

Just because it blue smokes on start up doesn't mean the turbo is junk. These are very complex engines. I'm willing to bet it either has injector problem due to either not changing oil or fuel filters when he should. But since you say it has the banks tuner, I would say he has hurt the engine by pushing it way to hard. These are trucks for pulling not racing. They will pull anything but don't like to be beat the hell out of day in and day out.

SN95N/A
01-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I usually let mine drop to about 300 degrees before I shut it down,it cools off really quick

97dustang
01-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah a turbo timer works wonders but you can just sit in the truck and wait about 5-10mins before shutting it off. If i had the money i would buy yor cobra....but i have a motorcycle i am still paying for! LOL

sweet we should go ridin when spring time rolls around!

97dustang
01-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Crew cab single rear wheel. Truck has 4" turbo back exhaust with other things. The the exhaust is the big thing for increasing the MPGs, also my truck likes to run interstate at 80-90mph. The only ford truck website I visit anymore is fordtrucks.com. They are helpful when you have problems. And I think I said it earlier, if I didn't, if you have a 6.0 only run programs that also program trans. The only one I know of right now that is worth it is the SCT programmers. I know with my 6.0 I trust it to pull my wife, puppies and my horses anywhere anytime without a problem. Now I will probably be selling mine later this year but for the Ohio guys, it has no cats or EGR system. So it would not pass any emissions testing.

Ohio doesnt have any emissions testing anymore :D

97dustang
01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I usually let mine drop to about 300 degrees before I shut it down,it cools off really quick

will most diesel trucks have an exhaust gas temp gauge? or do you have to get one aftermarket to know where your at?

SN95N/A
01-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah aftermarket,I got egt gauge(exhaust)..a boost and tranny temp gauge all on a pillar pod.

06V6Andrew
01-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Just because it blue smokes on start up doesn't mean the turbo is junk. These are very complex engines. I'm willing to bet it either has injector problem due to either not changing oil or fuel filters when he should. But since you say it has the banks tuner, I would say he has hurt the engine by pushing it way to hard. These are trucks for pulling not racing. They will pull anything but don't like to be beat the hell out of day in and day out.

Blue smoke from the oil left in the turbo after shut off. Yes he does have the banks programmer on it but it is not used for racing strictly pulling. Set the tuner to pull mode and it pulls like a champ. But you may have had great luck with your...not sying there aren't good ones out there. But there is a reason wh ford built their own diesel this year instead of international...sad i would have liked to seen a CAT engine myself.

06V6Andrew
01-18-2011, 09:17 PM
sweet we should go ridin when spring time rolls around!

Sounds good to me i like to cruze on the bike up here in the country. YEE HAW!

5.0calypso93lx
01-18-2011, 10:58 PM

I'm calling BS big time on 25+mpg then. I could MAYBE see it with every fuel econ mod possible, with the most conservative fuel tune possible cruising at 55 on the highway, but at 80-90mph, you're WAY past an economical fuel speed.

How are you calculating your fuel economy?

fastone
01-19-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm calling BS big time on 25+mpg then. I could MAYBE see it with every fuel econ mod possible, with the most conservative fuel tune possible cruising at 55 on the highway, but at 80-90mph, you're WAY past an economical fuel speed.

How are you calculating your fuel economy?

Miles driven by fuel put in, and I top my tank off, it takes a long while due to the foam from the diesel. Anything above 90 and it drops off huge. I can make it from my house to my farm in western KY and back home which is 360 miles round trip using 11-12 gallons of diesel, but I only run about 80-83 mph. I have no tunes other than what can be done with a programming computer from ford. At those speeds Im only at about 8-9psi boost. Max now with all my work done is 22psi, before studs and egr I would get 28psi empty, pulling the trailer I would peg 33psi, that's the reason for the studs now.

fastone
01-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Blue smoke from the oil left in the turbo after shut off. Yes he does have the banks programmer on it but it is not used for racing strictly pulling. Set the tuner to pull mode and it pulls like a champ. But you may have had great luck with your...not sying there aren't good ones out there. But there is a reason wh ford built their own diesel this year instead of international...sad i would have liked to seen a CAT engine myself.

Thanks to the EPA, you will not see a CAT engine on the road again, new one that is. And if you actually follow why Ford has designed their own engine, it started back in 2000 thanks to the 7.3 engine. International actaully changed the connecting rods and then the engine had major failures. Which International would not warr. any on. So ford started the design then, and from the Ford employees, (diesel mac.) and owners the new 6.7 is an awesome engine. getting 18-20 mpg unloaded, but the truck doesn't like high speed interstate speeds, the mpg's really fall off above 65-70mpg.

INSANEBA
01-19-2011, 08:58 AM
This is from owners of 6.0's that are retards. The 6.0 if tuned MUST also tune the transmission or you blow things up. With the recent fixes to the 6.0 it is becoming a very dependable engine. There is way more 6.0's out there than you know. Lots of problems are from improper care. AKA, fire depts, running the 6.0 hard as you can then shutting it off hot. That kills any diesel engine. Given my choice, it would be powerstrokes 6.7, 6.0, 6.4 then the 7.3. The 7.3 is just old school and not bashing those who run it, but its like running a four barrel vs. fuel injection on your mustang. It is a matter of what the person wants. But the 6.0 is a great engine, just had a rocky start. The only way I would get rid of mine is on a brand new 6.7. My truck also has over 125k on it. But it doesn't have any emissions on it either. Also mine is a 350 and I believe the 350 rides smoother than the 250's.

Well if it took "recent fixes" to make it worth a f@ck, you can have it! Like I said, I have a wrecked van here with one and people are blowing the phone up trying to get the motor out of it. Same story everytime, they have a dually or 250 that needs a motor. If I'm getting an F250, then I'll take that old school 7.3, atleast it doesent take thousands of dollars in repairs to make it work like it should. Otherwise, I'll take a Cummins.....

fastone
01-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Well if it took "recent fixes" to make it worth a f@ck, you can have it! Like I said, I have a wrecked van here with one and people are blowing the phone up trying to get the motor out of it. Same story everytime, they have a dually or 250 that needs a motor. If I'm getting an F250, then I'll take that old school 7.3, atleast it doesent take thousands of dollars in repairs to make it work like it should. Otherwise, I'll take a Cummins.....

I will say the 6o has a bad design problem. That is how a lot of the motors get "blown up". The EGR/Oil cooler design sucks worse than anything I have ever seen. Now when your EGR cooler clogs and goes out, the oil cooler goes which in turns over heats the motor and then it's history. Now this is where I agree the 6.0 engineers screwed up, when your water temp or oil temp gets hot only the check engine light comes on with no warning sounds or anything else. And of course by the time the dumbie gauge on the dash shows anything, its too late. To replace just EGR/Oil coolers you are at about 2400 at a dealer. If you take care of your truck and watch your gauges you can catch the problem.

And my father-in-law has an 09 cummins and another friend that rides horses with us has an 11 cummins. Not pleased with them at all, seem under powered and the Dodge rides bad along with bad trans shifting. Rumor has it Cummins is coming out with a 425 horse 900 ft torque motor soon. That would be nice to have if it was not in a dodge!

fastone
01-19-2011, 09:06 AM
And enough with the 6.0 stuff, I got this off on a completely different subject. Good luck finding a good 7.3, not being a smart ass, it's just hard to find a good used diesel that is not someone else's problem child or that has been beat to death. If anyone in Ky wants or needs a good diesel mac. that works full time at Fuller Ford give me a PM. He does awesome work and saves at least half or more of what the dealer charges.

SN95N/A
01-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Ford changed the connecting rods in 02 which still made the motor good to 450 horse so it could still handle alot.major failure I don't believe so,dads got an 02 and it runs just as well as my 01 so I don't believe that was a huge issue until they try modding it alot.

5.0calypso93lx
01-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Ford changed the connecting rods in 02 which still made the motor good to 450 horse so it could still handle alot.major failure I don't believe so,dads got an 02 and it runs just as well as my 01 so I don't believe that was a huge issue until they try modding it alot.

I thought they went to PWR's in mid 01'?

Either way, like you said, unless you're going all out with some crazy build, 99% of 7.3 owners would be fine even with the PWR's.

SN95N/A
01-19-2011, 12:06 PM
^Yeah I believe it was late 01 into 02..as long as you don't get crazy and start throwing a bunch of upgraded shyt at it it will be fine.all and all the 7.3 is very reliable.6.0 might of been a little more reliable in it's later years than in the earlier years but I have plenty of friends and people I know that have owned later year 6.0 and still have had plenty of issues with them.

5.0calypso93lx
01-19-2011, 12:25 PM
^Yeah I believe it was late 01 into 02..as long as you don't get crazy and start throwing a bunch of upgraded shyt at it it will be fine.all and all the 7.3 is very reliable.6.0 might of been a little more reliable in it's later years than in the earlier years but I have plenty of friends and people I know that have owned later year 6.0 and still have had plenty of issues with them.

Yea, even though the 02-03's have the PWR's I'd still prefer one just for the better interiors.

SN95N/A
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah and I like the headlights in dads 02 all clear I think the amber lights on mine look like crap.

5.0calypso93lx
01-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah and I like the headlights in dads 02 all clear I think the amber lights on mine look like crap.

05-07 HD black headlights with 05+ front end is where it's at :cool1:

I've been researching for a LONG time. I've told myself once I get a promotion and once I get settled in at the house, I'll be hunting for an 02-03 EC/LB or CC/LB, 4x4. Can't decide if I want the auto or the 6 speed though :confused:

SN95N/A
01-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes I agree!I start my new job this friday hope to get my truck payed off quick I might try out one of those 6.4's I went and test drove one bout 2 weeks ago and they feel solid.Do you have a 7.3?if you have the 05 conversion on it send a pic my way..

5.0calypso93lx
01-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Yes I agree!I start my new job this friday hope to get my truck payed off quick I might try out one of those 6.4's I went and test drove one bout 2 weeks ago and they feel solid.Do you have a 7.3?if you have the 05 conversion on it send a pic my way..

I'm up in the air on the 6.4's. Have heard a lot about turbo issues with those as well. I don't have a 7.3, but will someday. My dad bought a 97 F250 7.3 EC/LB brand new from Charlie Watson Ford and I fell in love with that truck.

With as much as I'm paying to have people tow around the mustang I could easily be making payments on one right now lol!

INSANEBA
01-19-2011, 01:53 PM
I've been kinda shopping around for one lately, but think I'm gonna push my F150 around for another year or two. Hell I just got new tires for it yesterday lol... Oh how I do want a diesel though...

fastone
01-19-2011, 01:59 PM

From what I have heard on the 6.4's the milage sucks! At best 12-14 unloaded and 8-10 loaded. Unless you take off the DPF/EGR stuff then the mpg's come back up big time. But you also have to run a programmer.

And with all these truck engines we have talked about, if Ford comes out with a TSB and you don't get it done to your engine or have the problem the TSB was issued for, you will probably have problems. I know there is a TSB about the turbos dealing with the oil outlet tube.

SN95N/A
01-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Yeah heard deleting the DPF helps out on mileage a bunch..It would more then likely throw a code tho.right? I'm just curious I guess u could flash it with a spartan tuner,ive looked into these for a couple weeks,310 horsepower spartan tune sounds like fun,I think 6.4 lope tune sounds pretty sweet.I got the lope tune(dp-tuner) on my 7.3 it doesn't sound to hateful.

fastone
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Yeah heard deleting the DPF helps out on mileage a bunch..It would more then likely throw a code tho.right? I'm just curious I guess u could flash it with a spartan tuner,ive looked into these for a couple weeks,310 horsepower spartan tune sounds like fun,I think 6.4 lope tune sounds pretty sweet.I got the lope tune(dp-tuner) on my 7.3 it doesn't sound to hateful.

I have heard either Spartan or do and SCT tuner with tunes from a guy named Eric at Innovative Diesel. Either of those will over ride the trucks computer from going into "limp" mode due to DPF or EGR problems. The 6.4's need a programmer if you screw with the emissions stuff at all. It doesn't hurt the 6.0's either. I don't have a tuner at this time, but due to my truck being an 04 the computer will not go into "limp" mode due to my EGR being removed. Only other thing with mine, pulling a load now with the exhaust it is super loud outside the truck, not to hateful inside though.

SN95N/A
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
If urs is a 04 it should have the crazy ass turbo whistle out the exhaust:) I love that!03 are insanely loud..eric at innovative diesel can make those 6.0's rip!

fastone
01-19-2011, 05:22 PM
If urs is a 04 it should have the crazy ass turbo whistle out the exhaust:) I love that!03 are insanely loud..eric at innovative diesel can make those 6.0's rip!

With my exhaust, 4" turbo back with a so called muffler does whistle alot. When it is cold under 40 degrees, my engine will idle itself at 1400 till warm. During that time, from behind all you hear is the whistle, sounds like a jet engine starting.

nsaniti
01-19-2011, 05:35 PM
I love my 99. Have some fuel work, bigger turbo, turbo back 4'' to 5'' tip, tune, new hpop and a few others.. but I stand by the 7.3 regardless.

fastone
01-20-2011, 09:30 AM
While heading out AA last night for a horse club meeting, saw the used car dealer there on the AA just outside of Wilder had a nice crew cab on their lot. Its the dealer that sits up on the hill. Red truck with a smaller lift kit on it. If someone is looking, hope it helps!

97dustang
01-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Whats the AA? Was it the bright red or the darker red?
Thanks,
Dustin

fastone
01-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Double A highway or the AA, route 9 runs from Newport to Ashland, Ky.

97dustang
01-21-2011, 10:15 PM
oh thanks, im never down there much