Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
craigslist scams [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : craigslist scams

Dirtyd0g
01-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Is anything real on craigslist anymore. Every time I put somethign up for sale I get 5-6 emails, everything from fraudulent paypal payments, links to craigzlist (where you have to log on) asking if this is the car I have for sale. Give it some wrong info and it takes you to a link of a car in boston. I'm rude I always tell them yes on everything and log in using offensive email addresses and or passwords. You don't even need a password to view craigslist, do people actually fall for this stuff?
Alan

marauder
01-17-2011, 04:54 PM
It will be worse in the cars section now that it's tax time.

Given the latest track record for craigslist, I think it's best to stick to autotrader and similar for vehicles and forums for parts. Everything else, ebay or amazon maybe. I don't like the recent change to pics on the side of listings it feels too cluttered.

What is worse, is when you try to sell something for a good price to move it fast and they flag it.

Dirtyd0g
01-18-2011, 12:14 PM
It just gets worse.
Guy calls about the taurus I have for sale, number comes up as a car lot in florence. He asks me bottom dollar to which I replied $1900, he says so $1600 and I you will deliver it to me. I replied I need $1900 and it doesn't have tags so you have to come get it. He comes up by himself in a car. Looks at the car and starts nitpicking it. Tells me the mileages is too high at 247,xxx I said huh I thought is was 124,xxx ( I was right) and he tries to convince me it has a 10,000,000 mile odometer and the last digit is missing.... Offers me $1000, then $1200 and I took the key and walked away. Now he calls offering $1500, I hung up on him. Are the used car auctions that bad that dealers have resorted to trying to scam individuals?
Alan

93RedNotch
01-18-2011, 12:19 PM
i had my intake for sale on cl and i got about 16 emails that were all spam. It gets old real fast lol

Xowner
01-18-2011, 02:27 PM
It just gets worse.
Guy calls about the taurus I have for sale, number comes up as a car lot in florence. He asks me bottom dollar to which I replied $1900, he says so $1600 and I you will deliver it to me. I replied I need $1900 and it doesn't have tags so you have to come get it. He comes up by himself in a car. Looks at the car and starts nitpicking it. Tells me the mileages is too high at 247,xxx I said huh I thought is was 124,xxx ( I was right) and he tries to convince me it has a 10,000,000 mile odometer and the last digit is missing.... Offers me $1000, then $1200 and I took the key and walked away. Now he calls offering $1500, I hung up on him. Are the used car auctions that bad that dealers have resorted to trying to scam individuals?
Alan

look into running it threw an auction like copart.com i was told it cost 65 bucks you drop the car off and they sell it

blown86lx
01-18-2011, 03:08 PM
They are actually making a show on it kind of like to catch a preditor from what I hear. Ever since the craigslist killer the FBI and other law enforcement have been cracking down on it. They have had so many scams that people report to the police its getting out of control. But yeah I dont know how you could fall for that I'm in Texas send out the car on a truck as soon as I get it Ill send you a check :screwy:

marauder
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Mind sharing the info for the dealership doing this?

sean
01-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I do a lot of things with C/L. You just have to weed through the bs. I dont give out my number either. Its a good place to buy and sell off of as long as your patient and not stupid. Good luck man. Just be patient and you will have it sold.

Flaming87lx
01-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I block the email option and have them contact me by text or phone only..... eliminates all the bs...

93RedNotch
01-18-2011, 06:23 PM
I block the email option and have them contact me by text or phone only..... eliminates all the bs...

I was thinking about doing for my ad but the last couple of things ive sold on cl belive it or not were set up through email lol but all the spam i get is through email

Dirtyd0g
01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
I will try to find the car lots info it was a small buy here pay here lot on 42 I remember that. The guy who came down was foreign and did not speaka berry gewd englais, probably part of why I didn't hassle with him much. I am terrible at understanding them. My wife is good at it she used to work for faxx so I guess she got plenty of practice.
Alan

may93
01-18-2011, 08:52 PM
I made a yahoo e-mail account that I use for Facebook and for sale items. That way the spammers can email away without interrupting my normal e-mails.

fastone
01-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Is anything real on craigslist anymore. Every time I put somethign up for sale I get 5-6 emails, everything from fraudulent paypal payments, links to craigzlist (where you have to log on) asking if this is the car I have for sale. Give it some wrong info and it takes you to a link of a car in boston. I'm rude I always tell them yes on everything and log in using offensive email addresses and or passwords. You don't even need a password to view craigslist, do people actually fall for this stuff?
Alan

I actually sold the deep freeze I had list on here. It's hard to find someone to buy stuff on there. There is actually a few good people on there. I actually sold it to a Fairfield cop, but didn't know that till he got here. Still had my pistol hanging on my hip when he showed up. And yes in a weeks time I got at least 15 emails about going here or there for money and other shit.

Dirtyd0g
01-19-2011, 06:45 PM
I am not positive that the guy was a rep from the car lot so I'll leave the name out. It is possible he was there looking for a car and somehow called me using their phone.
Alan

Blackout
01-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Last year when I had all my mustangs for sale, I had alot of "Lot Owners" calling trying to low ball me so they could put it on the lot. It's pretty easy to pick them out when they call. They usually call and are all uptight and ask very direct questions. I just ask them if there a dealer. They sometimes tell the truth and others just hang up. They are looking to get a steal because the used car market at the auction is out of this world.

blown86lx
01-19-2011, 07:52 PM
http://columbus.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/autos.cgi?&category=cta/

See the disclamer they just put up? I was on here 2 days ago and it wasn't there. As soon as you click on cars and trucks for sale this pops up.

thecollector
01-23-2011, 10:44 PM
I can't compain, I just picked up a nice john deere snow blower from a guy in wyoming cheap thanks to c-list.

BIGRED Z
01-23-2011, 11:18 PM

I do the same, always has worked out well.