Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Anyone not running an EGR spacer? Throttle cable issue [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not running an EGR spacer? Throttle cable issue

5.0calypso93lx
10-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Is anyone else on here not running an EGR spacer at all with fuel injection?

Is your throttle cable as bound up as mine is or how did you go about fixing that?

I am using the MC machine bracket, but even with the stock bracket, it would still place the cable in the same place.

I found this picture on MC's website and this guy is also not running an EGR spacer and you can see how "looped" the throttle cable is:

http://www.mc-machine.com/images/50%20throttle%20cable%20bracket/images/dscn1450.jpg

Marker1989
10-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I have an EGR delete spacer, no problems with it. You need some sort of spacer for the throttle cable bracket to bolt onto. Also note the guy in the picture has his EGR delete spacer on wrong, the bolts on the left should be on the bottom. Are you referring to the "S" curve route the cable is running to the TB?? Cuz if so then that isn't a problem..

5.0calypso93lx
10-20-2010, 03:16 PM
I have an EGR delete spacer, no problems with it. You need some sort of spacer for the throttle cable bracket to bolt onto. Also note the guy in the picture has his EGR delete spacer on wrong, the bolts on the left should be on the bottom. Are you referring to the "S" curve route the cable is running to the TB?? Cuz if so then that isn't a problem..

I do have a spacer. I apologize if I wasn't very clear with that part. I have an Accufab 90mm throttle body and an Accufab 90mm throttle cable bracket spacer. This is it here: http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/p-155-accufab-90cb-90mm-mustang-50-throttle-cable-bracket.aspx

Factory orientation of the throttle cable bracket is how it is shown in the picture and how I have mine installed. I'm not sure if you have a different application or not. If the holes were on the bottom, that would make the throttle cable bracket mount underneath the TB right where the ball for the throttle cable to attach to, is. It would be impossible to mount the throttle cable in this orientation.

Yes, I am referring to the "s" curve of the cable. Mine is nearly identical to that and it is actually bound up pretty good. You do have to use some muscle to get the bracket installed on the throttle cable bracket and when doing this you can feel how bound up the cable is.

I'm also retaining the cruise cable so it's got it twisted up a bit as well.

facemelter71
10-20-2010, 04:37 PM
I installed mine with some spacers in between the bracket and the egr spacer.

5.0calypso93lx
10-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I installed mine with some spacers in between the bracket and the egr spacer.

I could see how that would take up some of the tension but I still think there would be a lot?? I even remember the cable being tough to install with the stock EGR spacer...

Marker1989
10-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Thats odd, my tab for the cable bracket have always been on the bottom. That's how it was stock and thats how I left it, Im still using the factory bracket tho. My cable also curves like that without issues, it does not bind or anything. I ditched cruise control tho so its just 1 cable. Maybe your cable is old and binding?

5.0calypso93lx
10-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Thats odd, my tab for the cable bracket have always been on the bottom. That's how it was stock and thats how I left it, Im still using the factory bracket tho. My cable also curves like that without issues, it does not bind or anything. I ditched cruise control tho so its just 1 cable. Maybe your cable is old and binding?

What year car do you have? As far as I know, all foxes have the holes towards the back like that in the picture on the EGR spacer.

It's not that I even know if the cable is binding or not, it's just that I can't imagine it NOT binding with how tight and curved the cable is when it is installed. Just seems WAY too long for what it needs to be.

Marker1989
10-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Mines an 88. The cable has to have that slack to help is not bind up. Just put it all together and see how it feels.

5.0calypso93lx
10-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Mines an 88. The cable has to have that slack to help is not bind up. Just put it all together and see how it feels.

That's what I did last night. It feels extremely tight and it was very tight to get the two bolts thread from the throttle cable bracket to the accufab spacer. I had a friend press the throttle and everything moves ok, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

93hulk
10-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Your problem is you have the plate on wrong. Unbolt it and flip the plate over so the mounting holes for the cable bracket are on the bottom of the back side of the T/B. See how that works for ya.

5.0calypso93lx
10-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Your problem is you have the plate on wrong. Unbolt it and flip the plate over so the mounting holes for the cable bracket are on the bottom of the back side of the T/B. See how that works for ya.

I'm not sure what you mean? If I flipped the bracket, I'm not sure it would fit up at all because the mounting slot for the cable would then be at the top and not allow the cable to pass under the TB.

That picture isn't of my car. That's a picture off of MC Machine's website showing how it should be installed. I installed mine the same way though.

Maybe I'm just thinking about this too much. After having a friend press the pedal all the way down, I do get full travel of the throttle body like it should. I was just concerned with how tight the fit was.

347sc
10-21-2010, 11:27 AM

That is the same thing I thought.the spacer needs to be flipped 180 so the bolt holes for the bracket are at the bottom.

5.0calypso93lx
10-21-2010, 11:44 AM
That is the same thing I thought.the spacer needs to be flipped 180 so the bolt holes for the bracket are at the bottom.

I don't mean to be an ass, but do you mean 90?

I see what Mark is talking about now. He was referring to the accufab spacer and not the MC machine TC bracket. Same thing Marker was saying.

I just don't see how that would work. If I flip the accufab bracket so the holes are at the bottom, that would move the TC so the cable is pointing straight up in the air. I would never be able to mount the end of the TC onto the little knub on the TB itself.

The TC mounts to the bottom of that MC machine bracket via a slot in the bottom of the bracket.

Let me try and find a better picture of the bracket.

Edit: Maybe this will help: http://mc-machine.com/mcm_joom/content/view/23/36/

That little slot at the bottom is where the TC mounts to. If that whole bracket were to be rotated 90 degrees so that it were mounted to the accufab spacer with the holes at the bottom, it would never mount up to the TB.

jack90gt
10-21-2010, 02:29 PM
All the spacers i ever used the bolts were at the bottom also..... I would say the same thing hulk and 347 said flip the whole spacer around....

347sc
10-21-2010, 02:54 PM
What I'm saying is flip it to where the bolt holes are on the bottom left that way the cable is level with the cable stud on the t body and not binding up

Marker1989
10-21-2010, 03:02 PM
There we go, that's what I meant before, its kinda hard to explain lol. Every picture with your bracket has the bolts on top tho?? Maybe that's how it's supposed to be with your aftermarket bracket. I can get a picture of my intake if your still not very clear on it.

facemelter71
10-21-2010, 03:34 PM
The EGR spacer is on upside down.
Take it off and flip it over,so it looks like this when you bolt it up.So the threaded bolt holes are on the bottom side of the egr delete.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1296889/egr-plate1.JPG

jack90gt
10-21-2010, 03:38 PM
The EGR spacer is on upside down.
Take it off and flip it over,so it looks like this when you bolt it up.So the threaded bolt holes are on the bottom side of the egr delete.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1296889/egr-plate1.JPG

Yep thats it....:bigthumb

5.0calypso93lx
10-21-2010, 04:43 PM
LOL I see what you guys are saying....

Problem is, now that I think about it, mine is like how you guys are saying and not in that picture :lol::lol:

I'll snap some pics of mine tomorrow.

Even if I had the spacer mounted like shown in the pics above, moving it back down to the correct orientation wouldn't make much of a difference I don't think. I'll get pics lol.

Marker1989
10-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Id recommend putting the stock cable bracket back on. It may not be a custom piece but its proven to work..

AntiRice427
10-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Make spacers by cutting small aluminum or steal pipe down to the length of an egr spacer and use longer bolts.

facemelter71
10-21-2010, 05:44 PM
My 86 had a sticky cable.I bought a new one.One day it felt fine,the next,felt like crap.So I swapped it out for a new one.

5.0calypso93lx
10-25-2010, 10:03 PM
OK, finally got a few pics.

This is with the holes at the bottom:

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq188/bad306lx/IMG_1968.jpg

And here they are up top:

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq188/bad306lx/IMG_1969.jpg

Neither one really gives the cable a straight shot to the bottom of the TB.

To me, both ways make the cable bind. If I flip the throttle open by hand and release it, the TB will NOT go all the way back to 100% closed. There is a tiny gap before the TB will actually shut all the way. I'd say it's probably %5 open.

I'm thinking that some decent sized spacers are going to be the only thing that will allow the cable to become unbound. I'm not a big fan of that aesthetically, but if it works?? :confused:

One thing I may try and do is move the holes back down to the bottom and try and pull the black throttle bracket up the slots as far as I can to see if I can help anything out there...

adragon72
10-25-2010, 10:21 PM
My linkage is attached the the two rear intake bolts. Not to the throttle body spacer. I have a 93 and this is the stock mount.

347sc
10-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Top pic is correct now adjust it up to where it is level and lube the cable while you are at it.

facemelter71
10-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Mine has some pretty knarly bends in the cable.Have you tried a different cable?

5.0calypso93lx
10-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Top pic is correct now adjust it up to where it is level and lube the cable while you are at it.

I think this is my best option with this cable, but I still think it will be bound up too much.

Mine has some pretty knarly bends in the cable.Have you tried a different cable?

I have not. I figured this 53k mile cable would be fine since it's the original piece.

I'm going to start doing research and see if any other cables from an OEM application will fit.

Gearhead559
10-26-2010, 04:02 PM
flip it to where the bolts are on the bottom side(spacer plate), then slide the bracket up in the slots. lol

5.0calypso93lx
10-26-2010, 04:49 PM
flip it to where the bolts are on the bottom side(spacer plate), then slide the bracket up in the slots. lol

That's what I'm going to do. I just don't think that will make that much of difference as much as it's bound up.