Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Ford Race/Street car maiden voyage [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ford Race/Street car maiden voyage

RacerX
10-17-2010, 04:20 AM
I know some of you guys have seen or heard of one of my weirdo projects. I drove it over to the Milford Kroger cruise in last night. All went well, made it home with no police intervention, all ways good.

It's still as much race car as I could keep it. It has auger mufflers, Hoosier treaded rain tires, head lights/signals in the grill (signals are Suzuki), LED tail lights, Ducati-ish signal mirrors, 3rd brake light and even an interior light.

This was my first ARCA race car. I raced it in several short track events, Winchester, Shady bowl etc. It was a former Winston cup car driven by John Andretti and Jeremy Mayfield for Kranefeld Haas with Little Ceasars sponcership. It was the Purple #37.

Then when the body went out of date we used it as a show car and did cavelcade and events for sponcers. It's sat in the shop for years and thougt it would be neat to make it a street car and do some advertising for the business. So it took a few months to get a title and all the lights right but with some tweeking it will be a neat project. It's really hot/loud inside, ROUGH ride but corners like no street car I've ever driven.

I have heard guys call thier cars "a race car on the street", I think this is that for sure,LOL. This is the car I talked about a few years back about doing a land speed deal with. I would still like to do that if anyone has any interest. Look for it on the streets, I plan to drive it as much as possible.

DR

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww197/DBR0051/DSCN3550.jpg

sean
10-17-2010, 04:54 AM
Thats great. Can you get a few inside pics or some dusk pics with all the lights on? I would love to have that.

motox159
10-17-2010, 06:42 AM
That's really cool man. Missed out on the cruise in this week

Sharad
10-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Now THAT is what I'm talking about!! You rarely see anything unique anymore, but THAT will stand out in a crowd!! Two thumbs up!

RacerX
10-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys, some folks don't "get it" but thats never botherd me. I thought real race guys and diehard Ford guys like us would get a kick out of it.

I'll get some more pics and post 'em. The inside is exactly the same as when I raced it except for a turn signal lever and a electrical box that we made out of a B&M shifter cover with the switches and relays all together inside, just in case I ever want to remove everything.

DR

gouldstang
10-17-2010, 03:28 PM
that's cool as hell... bad ass for sure.. you have a Yates motor in it?

RacerX
10-17-2010, 03:45 PM
This what it looked like when it raced cup.

http://www.thunderplex.com/stockcarmodel/jandretti_37kmartlittlcpizza.jpg

Sadly, no big motor, I sold my last good one with a Taurus I bought from Ernie Irvin that Boris said drove in the Winston. It was a nice piece, 780hp and bags of torque. Jeff Collins built it in Mooresville (he's a back door guy through Ford) he was ashamed of the hp, he expected 800ish but it made more torque than his big hp motors and worked great on the short tracks. In my first race I finished better than Frank Kimmel, Bob Schact and Kenny Schrader. To fair it was at Kil-Kare and I raced there about a million laps so I knew the track, hated it but knew it.

It's now got a warmed over 358, maybe 400hp on a good day.

DR

Mustard
10-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Very cool. Would love to see it in person

Gene
10-17-2010, 07:15 PM
That is AWESOME. Nice work. :coo1:

Black Horse
10-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Really cool! Need to bring it out on a road course sometime!

RacerX
10-23-2010, 01:59 AM
Got a little bit done on the car. Put in more toe out, much better now. Changed springs and shocks but haven't gotten a chance to drive it with them yet. It still had a set up for St. Louis and it was fine for a big flat oval but teeth shattering for a street car. My buddy following me out to milford said the rear tires came off the ground on some bumps. Added a cigarette lighter for the GPS so I can use it for a speedo. Should be way better now.

Here are a couple more pics, there are several more here: http://s719.photobucket.com/albums/ww197/DBR0051/

DR

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww197/DBR0051/DSCN3572.jpg

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww197/DBR0051/DSCN3569.jpg

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww197/DBR0051/DSCN3556.jpg

Sharad
10-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Awesome!

NO SHOT
10-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Is it street legal?Is it titled I couldn't imagine the look on the face of the highway patrol if they had to inspect that WOW!!!LOL!!Thats cool!!:D

Gene
10-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Is it street legal?Is it titled I couldn't imagine the look on the face of the highway patrol if they had to inspect that WOW!!!LOL!!Thats cool!!:D

It has plates and lights... :D

redfirepearlgt
10-23-2010, 03:43 PM
That is AWESOME!!!!!!! I'd love to be with you when you get pulled over by some rookie local who can find NOTHING wrong with the street worthiness of this creation. Talk about a kneeslapper!!!! LOL!!!!! You should document your pull overs (heaven knows you are going to get them) and write a book on the experience. GREAT JOB.

RacerX
10-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Yep, it's got a title (in my company name) and insurance. It also has all the lights, interior light, windshield wiper, signals in the mirrors, mufflers etc...

So far I have passed 6 cops, so far not pulled over yet but I'm sure I will, alot, after they (hopefully) let me go I plan to ask for a card and keep them on board so if a wise acre gives me grief I can say ALL these officers said it looked OK. That's when I'll most likely go to jail!

I put in the company name so I can say "these County Line mulch just pay me to drive this around for advertising, I had no idea I was doing anything wrong sir"

DR

mustang8998
10-23-2010, 06:23 PM
That is really cool!

But, how do You get a title? The Super Cobra Jet cars can't be titled. (At least that's what Ford says.)

Gene
10-23-2010, 09:08 PM
But, how do You get a title? The Super Cobra Jet cars can't be titled. (At least that's what Ford says.)

I'm guessing it's titled as "self-assembled" or a kit-car?

mustang8998
10-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Yes, Gene, that's my point. Why can't you do that, with the SCJ, or a body in white?

Stangman
10-24-2010, 04:46 PM
That thing is purely amazing!!! I'd love to see it at the cruise in again!!!

RacerX
10-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks for all the great comments. It will be at as many cruise spots as I can make it. I think Milford has one more, most the rest are done for the year I have heard. We just didn't get it finished in time for this year I guess.

DR

RacerX
11-07-2010, 02:02 AM
Just an update. We just changed the springs so I think it should work on the street a bit better. We also added some more heat barrier to the front bulkhead. I also added some toe, it now has a fat 1/8th out.

I thought it still had some short track springs but they were big track springs, a 1450# in the LF and a 1550# in the RF, 350# LR and a 300# RR, so no wonder it rode a little harsh. I now have some 450's across the front and 200's in the back with #4 shocks in the front and 3's in the back. No test ride yet but I suspect it will be better, LOL.

DR