Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
What do you use to clean rusty parts? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean rusty parts?

Stangman
09-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Just curious if there were any homemade concoctions that knocked rust dead in its tracks and loosens it up? I need to soak some gt40's that are sooo bad you cant see the hex on the spark plug! :eek:

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-07-2010, 08:12 AM
The bmx restoration guys swear by Oxalic Acid to remove rust from chrome without damaging it....others say vinegar, works even better, might wanna try either one. If you made a bath of vinegar and let'em soak it might eat off enough rust to at least wire brush them clean.

Stangman
09-07-2010, 08:29 AM
I wonder what vinegar and coke would do? lol

ADaughen
09-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Vinegar would do it.

I know some tool restorers like to use electrolysis to protect what metal is left. I guess it takes a while, but is pretty cheap.

plated
09-07-2010, 08:38 AM
muratic acid get it from a pool place get a couple gallons pour itg into a 5 gal bucket and let themsoak;) do it out side and wear lung protection and eyes plz..

Stangman
09-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Will muratic acid eat PVC pipe? Im making something to contain a part in liquid

Galaxie
09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
I used Alumna-brite from Napa to clean rusty chrome with and also used it on a diff I got once and it worked really well .

plated
09-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Will muratic acid eat PVC pipe? Im making something to contain a part in liquid

naaa,comes in a plastic jug it won't eat plastic hell it won't hurt paint but it will chew rust off that i know,demo a peice if your scared

thecollector
09-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Vinegar would do it.

I know some tool restorers like to use electrolysis to protect what metal is left. I guess it takes a while, but is pretty cheap.

:agree:

Some patience and a battery charger will yield great results and not result in scorched broncioles or chemical burns.

relaxednoma
09-07-2010, 12:52 PM
there was something that I saw them do on Trucks on spike a year or two back, took the rust right the eff off

Stangman
09-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Im going to need something thats for sure... these heads are BAD

foxbodyfan
09-07-2010, 03:32 PM
What about media blasting them?

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Electrolysis
I use a little kids pool, car battery charger, steel rod, 2 welding clamps and some sodium carbonate. sodium carbonate is wash soda.

fill container with water
add 1 cup of wash soda to every gallon of water
hook the positive side of the battery charger to the steel rod. place the steel rod into the container of water.
place the ground clamp on the part you want to be cleaned. make sure you have a good contact
add part to water.
after a few hours pull the part out and wipe away rust. some rusted parts may take 12 hours.

now this will also free up those parts that are rusted together. so seat post, stem parts, ect just dipped them for a while and you should be good.

I use a 10 amp charger

That's from one of the restorer's on the bmx museum site, on how he does it.

Stangman
09-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Dont know anyone that media blasts for cheap. they arent my heads... just cleaning them for my friend so we can assemble his 351/gt40/torker intake/big cam motor for his '79 Capri. Also that Electrolosis method sounds time consuming... but may try it if other options fail.

mustanger
09-07-2010, 11:47 PM
I could probably help you out with media blasting, I've got my own blast cabinet to do it with, if I remember right you can use glass beads for blasting heads or maybe aluminum oxide? I've got the Aluminum Oxide but not the glass beads. Last time I checked the glass bead media wasn't that expensive up at Harbor Freight.

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-08-2010, 04:29 AM
Glass bead is awesome media for removing rust. Its good to use on just about anything and it leaves aluminum with a really cool satin finish. I had a hookup but he got laid off.

ADaughen
09-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Dont know anyone that media blasts for cheap. they arent my heads... just cleaning them for my friend so we can assemble his 351/gt40/torker intake/big cam motor for his '79 Capri. Also that Electrolosis method sounds time consuming... but may try it if other options fail.

I know guys that were restoring vices with the stuff. They would let the parts soak for ~2 days.

The benefit of electrolysis is it doesn't remove any more metal. Grinding and aluminum oxide blasting can.

inferno50
09-08-2010, 08:31 PM

is this for doug. i cant believe he would ever use something that was rusty.lol.what about a gallon of pb blaster.

Dirtyd0g
09-08-2010, 09:15 PM

I have a buddy that could blast them for you. You can try to use my blaster but it is terrible. I'll sell it cheap.
Alan

bobtsgt
09-09-2010, 08:21 AM
I have a whole can of metal wash from Eastwood sitting on my desk. Was going to make it a parts tank bath but apparently doesn't work that way. I'll make ya a deal Jesse

Stangman
09-09-2010, 09:44 AM
@Brian... Its actually for another person who is doing a 351 in a capri lol!! @Alan... I actually have a sandblaster too but i cant get the dang moisture out of my airlines to save my life. @Bob... What exactly is metal wash?

ADaughen
09-09-2010, 10:01 AM
@Brian... Its actually for another person who is doing a 351 in a capri lol!! @Alan... I actually have a sandblaster too but i cant get the dang moisture out of my airlines to save my life. @Bob... What exactly is metal wash?

Run the air through a coil of copper tube in a cooler filled with ice water. :bigthumb

bobtsgt
09-09-2010, 05:39 PM
lazy lol http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-metal-wash.html

302FAST
09-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Use CLR (calcium, Lime, Rust) you can get it at Krogers or just about anywhere, Its fairly cheap and its safe on all bath fixtures so should be safe for your parts!!!!:bigthumb

thecollector
09-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Run the air through a coil of copper tube in a cooler filled with ice water. :bigthumb

I have a dryer/filter/regulator system for CHEAP if anybody is interested from "air products corp."