Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Ford True Cost of ownership [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ford True Cost of ownership

beefcake
09-02-2010, 12:14 PM
couple good rides in here

I started with Edmunds.com, which has a True Cost to Own feature designed to measure the five-year cost of vehicles, including financing, depreciation, gas, insurance and, yes, repairs. Below are the cars Edmunds.com identified as the most and least expensive to own in various classes, based on their five-year repair costs as measured by warranty providers.

Least expensive coupe: Ford Focus. Most expensive: Mercedes-Benz SL Class.

Least expensive hatchback/wagon: Ford Flex. Most expensive: Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

Least expensive SUV: Saturn Saturn Vue/Vue Hybrid. Most expensive: Mercedes-Benz M-Class.

Least expensive sedan: Pontiac G8. Most expensive: Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

Full article!
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/weston-the-cheapest-cars-to-own-and-fix.aspx

KB1
09-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Terry sold me my 2007 Focus ZX3 almost 3 years ago to the date & it has only been to the dealership once in 50,000 miles!!! One of the best cars I have ever purchased, still pulling down 35-38 mpg:bigthumb

cstreu1026
09-02-2010, 12:19 PM
...and the most important message to take away from the article is that if you are worried about cost don't buy a Mercedes. Sheesh they finnished last in all of those categories.

cobraman302
09-02-2010, 06:02 PM
...and the most important message to take away from the article is that if you are worried about cost don't buy a Mercedes. Sheesh they finnished last in all of those categories.

Yep, and I don't think they care one bit :lol:

cstreu1026
09-02-2010, 06:29 PM
If you can afford the price of admission...

I thought about buying a C class last time around but just like a BMW 3 series they get seriously pricey when you add some options.

cobraman302
09-02-2010, 08:22 PM
If you can afford the price of admission...

I thought about buying a C class last time around but just like a BMW 3 series they get seriously pricey when you add some options.

Yeah that they do. My gf has a 2006 318ci and I am highly advising her to get rid of it once the warranty is out. That thing has had some large repair bills under warranty and its under 50k miles....

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Yep, and I don't think they care one bit :lol:

neither do the richies who buy them

Gene
09-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah that they do. My gf has a 2006 318ci and I am highly advising her to get rid of it once the warranty is out. That thing has had some large repair bills under warranty and its under 50k miles....

I leased a 2000 Audi A6 2.7TT...before 30k miles I had the brakes and both turbochargers replaced under warranty. Needless to say, when the lease was up I turned in the car.

cstreu1026
09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
I can see brakes but both turbo chargers? I would have run away from that thing.

Gene
09-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I can see brakes but both turbo chargers? I would have run away from that thing.

That's why I turned in the car when the lease was up...if it wouldn't have been covered by warranty it would have been $10k in repairs.

I love the feel of driving European cars, but the cost of running them is ridiculous. Mercedes charges $120 for an oil change. If you do it yourself a filter is $12.00 from the Mercedes dealership. Where does the rest of that money go?

cstreu1026
09-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Well if they are anything like our Cadillac, right in to the oil pan. 7+ quarts of Synthetic adds up real quick. It costs me a little more than $50 to do it myself. The dealer will do it for $70. For less than $20 I won't bother messing with it my self.

03z06vette
09-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Ive got 7k on the new 2010 Edge...the battery shorted out yesterday and left the wife and kid stranded.

Stangman
09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I love Fords, new and old, but I'll buy an old car before I buy a new car. Newest thing I've ever owned before getting my truck, out of sheer need, was my '94 GT (with 230,000 miles now too!), and I have owned it since 05. Had some trouble with it being a first year model, but other than that... every ford I've ever owned has been nothing but reliable. I love it.

Most reliable car I own.... a '77 Mustang II. When all the others fail, or can't drive in weather... The old 2.3L 2 barrel/auto Mustang II fires up with 1 pump of the gas pedal and would go anywhere, hell or high water... even snow, lol! All with 175/80R13 pizza cutters.

My parents used to own a '79 LTD that I'd love to find again, they owned an '08 escape, and now own an '10 escape thanks to Terry, and they've all been great cars.

cstreu1026
09-03-2010, 01:51 PM
For the most part the Fords our families have owned have been reliable. The lone exception was the 2003 Explorer Limited which quickly became a liability. It was in the shop 4 times for major work on the rear end including replacing the bearings, ring and pinion, and differential at one point or another.

cobraman302
09-03-2010, 02:30 PM
That's why I turned in the car when the lease was up...if it wouldn't have been covered by warranty it would have been $10k in repairs.

I love the feel of driving European cars, but the cost of running them is ridiculous. Mercedes charges $120 for an oil change. If you do it yourself a filter is $12.00 from the Mercedes dealership. Where does the rest of that money go?

That the exact reson I got rid of my S4, POS. Amazing car to drive, high $ maintenance that is just out of sight. Same drivetrain as the A6 2.7TT.

Pitbull1052
09-03-2010, 03:08 PM

have any of you been in the service shop of a Benz dealer???? if not go sometime all that extra money goes into the extra's a Benz owner expects, like cookies, muffins like good one's too not some grocery store stuff, the one in montgomery has a "free" cappuccino machine.......... not saying it's right or whatever but either way we're not hip here in the states anyway on European cars... we guy gas over they everyone runs a deisel....... Over there a Benz is a once in life time car you buy one and it lasts a lifetime...

thecollector
09-03-2010, 11:47 PM
For the most part the Fords our families have owned have been reliable. The lone exception was the 2003 Explorer Limited which quickly became a liability. It was in the shop 4 times for major work on the rear end including replacing the bearings, ring and pinion, and differential at one point or another.

Those left a foul taste in a lot of peoples mouths. Ford screwed the pooch and wouldn't pay up for the correct repair at first. After a while they just sent entire 3rd members out. Transmissions also weren't great(I'm supposed to inject metal flake additive where why). That was the worst explorer ever made, it really brought down customers product perception. They have resolved those problems but the jury is still out on the new explorers.

sean
09-04-2010, 01:19 AM
The only expensive cars I ever had that were great to own and very rerley broke down were the various porsches I have had. Old and not as old (I never had a new one) were all great cars and continued to be till I sold them.