Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Ohio House Bill #191... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ohio House Bill #191...

BigBadStang
08-22-2010, 10:40 PM
We, as enthusiasts had better get off our asses and call our representatives before this bullshit makes it into law! It's already passed the House and has been sent along to the Senate. I have no qualms with making the punishment more stringent, especially when an innocent motorist is harmed or killed, but the wording of this is far overreaching and heavy handed and leaves way too much to "officer discretion". Not to mention that anyone having N2O (nitrous oxide) installed on a vehicle used on public roadways will be illegal, and in violation, regardless of use.

This bill was introduced back in July 2009, and it's getting little to no press or opposition!

HERE (http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/analysis.cfm?ID=128_HB_191&hf=analyses128/h0191-i-128.htm) is the link to the bill and the changes. Pay close attention to the details of defining "Street Racing"!

Here is a brief copy and paste of what our elected morons are doing...

"Operation of the bill

Offense

The bill expands the definition of "street racing" to also include "any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public road, street, or highway." In addition, the bill provides that persons rendering assistance or encouragement in any form or manner to the defined competitive use of vehicles must be equally charged as participants..."

What is considered "normal operation"? Accelerating faster than the 80 year old fart next to you? Who knows?

The problem with this is that it could be considered "street racing" by revving your engine at another car, hard cornering, hard acceleration etc. AND it only has to be ONE vehicle! If you are convicted of this, the courts will be REQUIRED to confiscate your vehicle, and you will have NO recourse!

If this passes, how many car shows, cruises, or festivals do you think will avoid Ohio like the plague? Who would want to come here and take the chance they may have their pride and joy confiscated?
Do you want this kind of power/discretion/judgement in the hands of EVERY law enforcement officer in Ohio?
Please take a few minutes to find and contact your Senator and let them know what YOU think about this!

HERE (http://www.ohiosenate.gov/map.html) is a link to the Ohio district map.

HERE (http://www.ohiosenate.gov/directory.html)is a link to the listing of Senators by district and contact information.

Ranger50
08-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Sweet! Then I am going to save my pennies and go for the 911GT3 I want. It's nothing more then a street legal race car. SO given their wording driving at stupid speeds, like 40mph over posted curve speeds, would be totally acceptable.

Too much gray area for it to stick, once a halfway decent lawyer fights it.

djom1cincy
08-22-2010, 11:07 PM
There has been at least 3 threads about this. Beefcake even wrote the local rep. His reply was he didn't think it was going to pass.

Squale iii
08-22-2010, 11:23 PM
There has been at least 3 threads about this. Beefcake even wrote the local rep. His reply was he didn't think it was going to pass.

I'm glad he said that. Now I can rest easy...knowing politicians tell the truth lol.

Goldenpony
08-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Any -ickhead that votes for this needs to be voted out of office, regardless of party. We've got to stop this kind of law. :mad:

BigBadStang
08-23-2010, 05:16 PM

Yeah, it's doesn't have any support...it passed the House with a 90-7 vote. The sponsor of this bill is Ted Celeste (Yes, THAT Celeste family), and it's politics 101 when it comes to this bill. Hell, the House had more opposition in the same session (79-19) when it came to increasing the penalties for cock fighting...

So I guess as long as some of us take comfort that politicians will do the right thing, or what "the people" want, then no worries...right?

INSANEBA
08-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Ya know how to tell when a politician is lying? His lips are moving... I'll quote the NRA speech, they'll pry my steering wheel from my cold dead hands!

Foxxx5oh
08-23-2010, 08:57 PM
wow....glad i moved to KY lol

Blackballed
08-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Were thinking about it...

wow....glad i moved to KY lol

NXcoupe
08-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Yeah, won't take much more and it just won't be worth it to stay in ohio, I mean, taxes, no jobs, business is slow everywhere, businesses leaving the state in groves, too many traffic cops, too crowded, etc. Just not a lot of incentive to stay here, well except for me, business, daughter, etc.

Blackout
08-24-2010, 10:22 AM
when my kids are grown, i will be looking for property in ky & tn. when were down there it just seems that every one is a little nicer. "southern hospitality" i guess. idk

JET50213
08-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Oh, and the unintended consequence of this bill....How many people are going to run instead of stopping for the police when they know their car may be confiscated!? I contacted the politicians a while back and made sure that they know law enforcement opposes this bill as well!