Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
3.5 Ecoboost F150 to tow 11,300 lbs [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Ecoboost F150 to tow 11,300 lbs

beefcake
08-14-2010, 12:28 PM
just got our spec sheets for the new f150 engines.

3.7 to tow 6100lbs, best in class full size fuel economy.

5.0L to tow 9800 lbs, best in class fuel economy.

3.5L Ecoboost to tow 11,300lbs. Best in class fuel economy to tow up to 20% better than the 5.4L f150.

6.2L f150 up to 11,300lbs.

Rich
08-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Beef,

Is the Ecoboost a premium fuel engine?

orangeconv
08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Isn't that the twin turbo??

cstreu1026
08-14-2010, 03:10 PM
It may two the same weight as the 6.2L but I am not sure I would be comfortable doing it. I imagine it would generate a tremendous amount of heat with the amount of load you would put on the on the engine during towing.

beefcake
08-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Beef,

Is the Ecoboost a premium fuel engine?

Not sure rich

It may two the same weight as the 6.2L but I am not sure I would be comfortable doing it. I imagine it would generate a tremendous amount of heat with the amount of load you would put on the on the engine during towing.

don't now, diesels are all turbo and get the job done, i'm sure ford has done extensive testing with the engine though

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-14-2010, 03:53 PM
So the new Ecoboost 5.0 will tow like 22,600? :lol:

Dirtyd0g
08-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Not sure rich

don't now, diesels are all turbo and get the job done, i'm sure ford has done extensive testing with the engine though

Diesels are a completely different creature. I would be afraid to tow that much weight on a 3.5L motor and turbos. On flat land there shouldn't be much problem but on large hills I would think it would easily overheat.
Alan

dsmawd350
08-14-2010, 04:11 PM
yeah a 3.5 liter turbo might tow that much its getting it going off the line where it probably lacks.

beefcake
08-14-2010, 06:08 PM
yeah a 3.5 liter turbo might tow that much its getting it going off the line where it probably lacks.

i think you guys will be surprised. if it's got the cabability to tow 11,300, i'm betting it's gonna get outta the hole just fine

cobraman302
08-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Oh it will move out juuuuust fine. This is kinda rumor, but I did read that the 3.5l ecoboost in the F150 application was gonna be about 400 torque peaking in the 2000-2500 range! Little better than a 5.0 with 380ish torque at 4300 rpm's, or the boss 6.2l with 430ish torque at the same 4300 rpm's. And plus you can crank the boost up a smidge once some tuning comes out the them... It will pull that weight just fine, no diesel, but it will pull its own.

Black92LX
08-14-2010, 06:44 PM
What is the base price of the crew and super cab on the ecoboost?

Rich
08-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Diesels are a completely different creature.
Alan

Yep, much more boost and much more compression, which leads to much more heat. I would imagine that Ford has done all the testing.

For a 1/2 ton pickup, pulling an open trailer/car around here. It might be the perfect engine fore something like that. Unloaded, you will have advantage of a v6 fuel economy.

Performance wise, look at what the ecoboost did in Beefcakes 4500 lb Taurus. The truck should come in around the 5700lb range. It will do just fine.

beefcake
08-14-2010, 07:27 PM
What is the base price of the crew and super cab on the ecoboost?

no pricing yet

Yep, much more boost and much more compression, which leads to much more heat. I would imagine that Ford has done all the testing.

For a 1/2 ton pickup, pulling an open trailer/car around here. It might be the perfect engine fore something like that. Unloaded, you will have advantage of a v6 fuel economy.

Performance wise, look at what the ecoboost did in Beefcakes 4500 lb Taurus. The truck should come in around the 5700lb range. It will do just fine.

I smell new lightning, lol, reg cab, 2wd, outta move out!

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-14-2010, 07:36 PM
I look at it like, domestic trucks are probably the most heated sales segment of all the auto brands, and Ford has a lot on the line. If they put a weak ass engine in a truck and it doesn't perform at least as good as the competition, it won't look good. I don't think they'd be stupid enough to bother with it if they didn't test it enough to know it's going to hold its own.

Dirtyd0g
08-14-2010, 08:37 PM
There is no doubt in my mind they can make it outperform a larger engine, keeping temps down at that level would be the struggle I see.
Alan

cstreu1026
08-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Hopefully they did do all of their homework, it really does works as advertised, and doesn't turnout to be a warranty liability but I think they would have been smarter to follow through with the 4.4L diesel.

Dirtyd0g
08-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Hopefully they did do all of their homework, it really does works as advertised, and doesn't turnout to be a warranty liability but I think they would have been smarter to follow through with the 4.4L diesel.

That was a plan I wanted to see take action as well.
Alan

Camaro86SHOCKER
08-15-2010, 12:14 AM
I mean maybe after a few years i'll be surprised but just something wrong with buying a full size truck with a 6-banger. I'll stick to my diesel.

Now if they offered a small diesel in the 150's id be happy about that.

Da Natti
08-15-2010, 01:06 AM
I was hoping they would offer the ecoboost engine in a truck! That would be the engine I would want! Has to be better than the valve rattlin 5.4 3-valve turd! I am suprised the 5.0 is lower than the ecoboost towing capacity. The v6 Twin Turbo must make a lot more torque across the board!

cobraman302
08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
I was hoping they would offer the ecoboost engine in a truck! That would be the engine I would want! Has to be better than the valve rattlin 5.4 3-valve turd! I am suprised the 5.0 is lower than the ecoboost towing capacity. The v6 Twin Turbo must make a lot more torque across the board!

Just like the other larger displacement ecoboost engines it should be a fairly flat yet peak torque curve from 1500-5000. Those numbers may change since its a truck application, but its just something you cant get unless its a diesel. I think it's gonna take more than fuel mileage to get over some man ego's unfortunately. :dummy:

9cobra4
08-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Just like the other larger displacement ecoboost engines it should be a fairly flat yet peak torque curve from 1500-5000. Those numbers may change since its a truck application, but its just something you cant get unless its a diesel. I think it's gonna take more than fuel mileage to get over some man ego's unfortunately. :dummy:

I totally agree. The diesel guys won't swallow their pride and admit this will haul decent, of course not as good as their nearly twice the displacement diesel, but good enough for most things people will haul anyway.

beefcake
08-15-2010, 01:22 PM
I totally agree. The diesel guys won't swallow their pride and admit this will haul decent, of course not as good as their nearly twice the displacement diesel, but good enough for most things people will haul anyway.

you know whats funny, a 7.3L f350 turbo diesel was only rated at 12,500 off the bumper, lol. Only 1200 pounds more than a half ton 6 cyl

Black92LX
08-15-2010, 01:49 PM
do you have any actual gas mileage estimates? Or is the best in class all they have given you so far?

05yellowgt
08-16-2010, 04:27 PM
The nice thing is that in the f150 the ecoboost won't have to be electronically limited to 350ftlbs like in the SHO. I'd say its going to get close, if not match the torque numbers of the 6.2

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-16-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm curious to see if the specs on this engine are the same as the SHO or if it's making more boost...bigger intercooler...etc.

cobraman302
08-16-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm curious to see if the specs on this engine are the same as the SHO or if it's making more boost...bigger intercooler...etc.

Found this here... http://green.autoblog.com/2010/08/11/ford-f-150-engines-for-2011-announced-includes-ecoboost-v6/

Following Ford's presentation, we were taken to an engine dynamometer lab where an F-150's EcoBoost V6 was set up. The engine was not taken up to full power in front of the media, but we did see it go up to 4,000 rpm where it was held for about 10 minutes with an output of 410 lb-ft and 310 hp. Under those conditions, it will hold 16 psi of boost with the turbos spinning at 175,000 rpm and a turbo temperature of 1,700 degrees F.

pegasus
08-16-2010, 06:11 PM
with a turbo timer and a pyro to keep a eye on egts I think you will be fine

what I want to see is a 3rd gen ecoboost svt lightning!

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
with a turbo timer and a pyro to keep a eye on egts I think you will be fine

what I want to see is a 3rd gen ecoboost svt lightning!

Screw that! Put this engine combo in a Ranger!!! and FINALLY build the Thunder they've talked about building for decades.

Ranger50
08-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Towing 11k with a F150?!?! NFWIH, would I even attempt to try that. Just because you "can", doesn't mean you should. That is just asking for a lawsuit.

On top of that, if they keep close to the Taurus fitment envelope, that will be a NVH and packaging nightmare. I agree though, put this thing in a Ranger backed by a regeared M5OD, 8.8, and Splash-like suspension. I'd go back into vehicle debt for one.

Brian

cstreu1026
08-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Towing 11k with a F150?!?! NFWIH, would I even attempt to try that. Just because you "can", doesn't mean you should. That is just asking for a lawsuit.

On top of that, if they keep close to the Taurus fitment envelope, that will be a NVH and packaging nightmare. I agree though, put this thing in a Ranger backed by a regeared M5OD, 8.8, and Splash-like suspension. I'd go back into vehicle debt for one.

Brian

Thats a good point. Just because it will move 11000+ pounds doesn't mean you should do it. I know F150 are suppose to have great brakes but that is asking them to do an awful lot not to mention its probably going to dragging the bumper with that much weight on it.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Pulling 11k is one thing, stopping it while moving down hill on a highway at 65mph in a ~5k lb truck is another.

zlou363lx
08-16-2010, 08:09 PM
I smell new lightning, lol, reg cab, 2wd, outta move out!

that would be sick. maybe they should use the 5.0 with a couple of turbos off of it though ;) haha

05yellowgt
08-17-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't think braking will be an issue. The f150's have great brakes and the 11,300lb rating will require a trailer with brakes and the optional factory trailer brake controller.

beefcake
08-17-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't think braking will be an issue. The f150's have great brakes and the 11,300lb rating will require a trailer with brakes and the optional factory trailer brake controller.

agreed, properly equipped the 5.4 has been rated at over 11,000 lbs for years.

hell, i could tow my cobra with my lightning at 6000 lbs back in 2001 with no trailer brakes and it would stop fine,

a newer body style equipped with trailer brakes and the proper setup won't have any trouble

Dirtyd0g
08-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Brian

Bleh I found the perfect ranger suspension, I jerked the rear out of a v8 explorer and put it in the 4cyl ranger. I have pulled a buttload of 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton full size pickups out of ditches. Every one of them said "I need a bigger truck to get this out" and I pulled them out like they weren't even stuck. My only real concern is my clutch and it is considerably larger than stock.
Alan

Ranger50
08-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Bleh I found the perfect ranger suspension, I jerked the rear out of a v8 explorer and put it in the 4cyl ranger. I have pulled a buttload of 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton full size pickups out of ditches. Every one of them said "I need a bigger truck to get this out" and I pulled them out like they weren't even stuck. My only real concern is my clutch and it is considerably larger than stock.
Alan

I did the same thing to mine, except I never needed to pull anyone else out.

I say Splash-like as in bigger swaybars, 1" lowering, and softer springs. Oh, and got to add something like a 17" Cobra wheel.

You running the 10.5"?

Brian

Rich
09-20-2010, 06:47 PM
DALLAS, Sept. 20, 2010 – With its new 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, the 2011 Ford F-150 will deliver best-in-class towing capability and torque with outstanding fuel economy.

“Customers have embraced the EcoBoost solution of delivering the power they desire with the fuel economy they demand in a no-compromise package,” said Derrick Kuzak, group vice president, Global Product Development. “From the start, we have pledged that this solution applies to any engine and any customer. The EcoBoost truck engine for the 2011 F-150 will deliver those attributes and has been specially tuned and tested to deliver the best-in-class towing and capability our truck customers demand.”

The key technology built into every EcoBoost engine, including turbocharging and direct fuel injection, is particularly relevant to customers of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost truck engine.

This combination of turbocharging and direct fuel injection delivers a wealth of low-end torque and maintains it across a broad rpm range, which is key in towing applications. The 3.5-liter EcoBoost truck engine delivers 420 lb.-ft. of torque and 365 horsepower to enable best-in-class towing of 11,300 pounds – more than enough to tow a fully loaded three-horse trailer or 30-foot boat, for example. Plus the EcoBoost truck engine does it all on regular fuel and with outstanding fuel economy.

“Truck customers should think of the EcoBoost truck engine as a gas-powered engine with diesel-type capability and characteristics,” said Jim Mazuchowski, V6 engines program manager. “The twin turbochargers and direct injection give it the broad, flat torque curve that makes towing with a diesel so effortless – and hard acceleration so much fun.”

Up to 90 percent of the EcoBoost truck engine’s peak torque is available from 1,700 rpm to 5,000 rpm. A typical comparable V8 competitor reaches peak torque at higher engine speeds – around 4,000 rpm – and holds it for a much smaller range.

“This is good news for customers because the combination of reaching peak torque at a lower engine speed, and maintaining that torque for a longer period, brings new levels of fuel efficiency with maximum towing capability other competitors can’t match,” said Mazuchowski.

This EcoBoost truck engine also features twin independent variable camshaft timing, or Ti-VCT, to help save fuel. Ti-VCT provides extremely precise variable – yet independent – control of timing for intake and exhaust valves. Ti-VCT also reduces emissions, especially in situations when the throttle is partially open.

Independent adjustment of intake and exhaust valve timing allows maximum fuel economy at part-throttle, while delivering optimized power in full-throttle situations. An added benefit is improved driveability and responsiveness across the torque curve.

An all-new engine
Every Ford truck engine undergoes a tortuous testing program, and the EcoBoost truck engine was no exception.

“We’re testing this EcoBoost truck engine just as we would all of our other F-150 truck engines – we have exactly the same expectations and it has to pass all our truck durability and reliability tests,” said Kris Norman, powertrain operations manager. “From our standpoint, this is an all-new engine specifically designed and engineered for the F-150. Everything is validated to the higher stress levels and higher customer usage levels found in any F-150 engine.”

Three avenues that test and validate engines are computer analysis, laboratory testing and in-vehicle validation. For the 3.5-liter EcoBoost application in the 2011 F-150, that includes:

More than 1.5 million hours of analytical time
More than 13,000 hours of dynamometer testing, including more than 5,000 hours at full boost and more than 2,500 hours at or above 5,000 rpm; the dyno testing helps ensure durability in excess of 150,000 miles
More than 100,000 hours of vehicle test time encompassing the full range of potential customer operating conditions
All the tests together replicate more than 1.6 million miles of customer usage – the harshest-use customer. A customer profile reflecting extreme-use driving style, road types and vehicle usage, including maximum towing and payload situations, was developed to underpin the testing program.

The computer modeling and system analysis especially have been key.

“Instead of constantly building and testing parts, we want to be smarter and use our computer skills and our ability to model things to do the upfront work,” Norman said. “We want to get everything right at the start, then validate with extensive testing.”

Turning up the heat
Engineers put the 3.5-liter EcoBoost truck engine on an extreme, accelerated pace. The thermal cycling test, for example, replicated conditions from the Arctic Circle to Death Valley to simulate 10 years of use in the harshest environments.

“On a thermal cycling test, for example, we want the engine to get hot as fast as possible, so the best way to do that is to go full boost at high speed,” Norman said. “To test the structure of the engine, we run it at full boost with maximum load. We run thousands of hours at full boost – conditions not attainable in a real-drive situation but important for proving this F-150 is ready to go the distance.”

The 2011 F-150 with EcoBoost will be available in early 2011

Walter
09-21-2010, 06:20 AM
I want one.

Rich
09-21-2010, 08:10 AM
I want one.

I'll give it a year or two, but it could very well be my next truck engine.

05yellowgt
09-21-2010, 08:34 AM
I want one in an updated Expedition. Going to need the room for all the twins stuff! lol

BIGHONKEY
09-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Something I found about each engine.

3.7-liter four-valve Ti-VCT V6
The 3.7-liter will be the most powerful, capable and fuel-efficient base V6 of any truck in its class. Key attributes include:

* Best-in-class 300 horsepower (estimated) at 6,500 rpm
* 275 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,500 rpm
* Class-leading fuel economy
* Best-in-class 6,100 pounds maximum trailer tow
* Ti-VCT creates precise, variable timing control of both the intake and exhaust camshafts to optimize power, performance and fuel economy
* E85 flex fuel capability
* Piston-cooling jets, which squirt oil on the underside of the pistons to keep the piston crowns cool under extreme operating conditions
* Forged-steel crankshaft for improved durability
* Built at Cleveland Engine Plant

The 3.7-liter V6 powering the base 2011 F-150 is the latest application of the award-winning Duratec® V6 engine, with additional technology and upgrades for truck application. In particular, more work was done on the bottom end of the engine, a strong point of all Duratec V6 engines.

“This is a well-designed engine with a massive amount of attention to detail around the block and the structure of the block,” said Jim Mazuchowski, V6 engines program manager. “This attention to the stiffness and rigidity of the bottom end, how the engine is fastened with four-bolt mains and two side bolts, enhances durability and NVH (noise, vibration and harshness).”

Other enhancements for durability include a forged-steel crankshaft, cast-iron exhaust manifolds and a die-cast aluminum oil pan, which supports a 10,000-mile interval for oil changes. The design of the cylinder bore and piston rings has been optimized for efficient lubrication.

In addition to engine durability, Ti-VCT leads a host of technologies that increase overall engine efficiency. Ti-VCT’s precise and variable control of the intake and exhaust camshafts optimizes performance and fuel economy. The piston squirters enable faster engine warm-up, and the polished buckets reduce friction, which aids fuel economy.

5.0-liter four-valve dual-overhead-camshaft Ti-VCT V8
The 5.0-liter V8 in the 2011 F-150 offers many class bests compared with competitors’ entry-level V8s, including:

* Best-in-class 360 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 380 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,250 rpm
* Class-leading fuel economy
* Best-in-class 9,800 pounds maximum trailer tow
* New strengthened block and new cylinder head optimized for performance and enhanced cooling
* Unique intake camshafts, combined with Ti-VCT, composite intake manifold and optimized compression ratio for improved low-speed torque and towing capability
* Forged-steel crank and all-new oil cooler enhance durability
* Piston-cooling jets, which squirt oil on the underside of the pistons to keep the piston crowns cool under extreme operating conditions
* E85 flex fuel capability
* Built at Essex Engine Plant; Windsor, Ontario

While this 5.0-liter V8 engine is similar to the one powering the 2011 Mustang GT, it has several important differences to optimize it for the harsh duty cycle truck customers demand. First, the camshafts were tuned to improve low-speed torque, which is key to truck customers. Also, the 10.5:1 compression ratio was optimized to reduce knock tendency at lower engine speeds while towing.

The hardware added to the 5.0 specifically for F-150 includes: an additional oil cooler, which helps extend the life of the oil to 10,000-mile intervals; foam covers for the fuel injectors to reduce NVH; and cast exhaust manifolds for improved durability. The new aluminum block is 70 pounds lighter than the 5.4-liter V8, which aids fuel economy and improves handling. The engine’s forged-steel crankshaft also ensures durability.

“This engine uses proven technology to deliver a great combination of low-speed torque and fuel economy with the durability F-150 customers demand,” said Mike Harrison, V8 engine programs manager.

6.2-liter two-valve single-overhead-camshaft V8
The 6.2-liter V8 is a premium engine offering on the 2011 F-150, with an expanded offering to F-150 SVT Raptor and other specialty applications. Its attributes include:

* Best-in-class 411 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 434 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,500 rpm
* Best-in-class 11,300 pounds maximum trailer tow
* Competitive fuel economy
* Durability of race-proven components and technology showcased in November 2008 when a 6.2-liter Raptor R not only survived the grueling Baja 1000, it earned a podium finish. The same engine went on to complete every mile of the 2009 Best in the Desert series
* Utilizes a large bore and shorter stroke. This approach to creating power has its roots in storied Ford racing engines. The large bore allows for larger intake and exhaust valves for improved engine airflow, and the short stroke allows higher engine speed for increased horsepower
* Because of the large bore size, two spark plugs per cylinder are used to more efficiently burn the fuel-air mixture in the combustion chamber, enabling better fuel economy and increased engine torque. The twin plugs also help the engine maintain a smooth, stable idle
* Built at Romeo (Mich.) Engine Plant

The 6.2-liter V8, standard on the 2011 F-Series Super Duty, is uniquely tuned for the F-150 with a special cam profile. The engine will be standard on the 2011 F-150 SVT Raptor and other specialty applications, and pumps out up to 411 horsepower and 434 lb.-ft. of torque – making the F-150 the most powerful truck in its class.

“This engine has tons of torque, and already has been proved in the field with both the F-150 SVT Raptor and Super Duty,” said Harrison.

3.5-liter Ti-VCT EcoBoost
The 3.5-liter EcoBoost is a premium engine offering available after launch with power comparable to a naturally aspirated V8 and projected class-leading fuel economy. Its attributes include:

* Ti-VCT creates precise, variable timing control of both the intake and exhaust camshafts to optimize power, performance and fuel economy
* Fuel economy improves up to 20 percent versus 2010 model year F-150 5.4-liter V8
* Improved intake and exhaust camshafts optimized for improved fuel economy and performance
* Cast exhaust manifolds for heavy-duty operation and durability
* Improved manifold and cylinder heads for improved performance
* Direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) valvetrain with polished buckets to reduce friction and improve fuel economy
* Built at Cleveland Engine Plant

Transmission features customer-driven enhancements
Ford Motor Company is the first and only manufacturer to equip its entire full-size pickup truck lineup with fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmissions as standard.

For the first time, a six-speed automatic transmission is standard in F-150 on all engines. Several available enhancements have been added to the proven 6R80 transmission to help F-150 customers tow more easily, including SelectShift with both progressive range select and manual functions.

Progressive range select allows the customer to reduce the range of available gears while in Drive. When the customer taps down into range select mode, the display shows the available gears and highlights the current gear state. This feature allows the driver to limit the use of upper gears when heavily loaded or while towing on grades.

With SelectShift, customers can get full manual function by pulling the shift lever into “M” for manual mode and then select the gear desired by pressing the “+” button for upshifts or the “-” button for downshifts. The control system will hold that gear for a full manual transmission feel.

The new engines for the Ford F-150 follow the all-new engine lineup for the 2011 Ford F-Series Super Duty introduced earlier this year and highlighted by the 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V8 turbocharged diesel, which delivers best-in-class torque, horsepower and fuel economy.

Ranger50
09-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Transmission features customer-driven enhancements
Ford Motor Company is the first and only manufacturer to equip its entire full-size pickup truck lineup with fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmissions as standard.

For the first time, a six-speed automatic transmission is standard in F-150 on all engines. Several available enhancements have been added to the proven 6R80 transmission to help F-150 customers tow more easily, including SelectShift with both progressive range select and manual functions.

Progressive range select allows the customer to reduce the range of available gears while in Drive. When the customer taps down into range select mode, the display shows the available gears and highlights the current gear state. This feature allows the driver to limit the use of upper gears when heavily loaded or while towing on grades.

With SelectShift, customers can get full manual function by pulling the shift lever into “M” for manual mode and then select the gear desired by pressing the “+” button for upshifts or the “-” button for downshifts. The control system will hold that gear for a full manual transmission feel.

Booooo. Thanks for cutting costs. It is still a fuking autotragic. BORING.

Brian

pegasus
09-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Booooo. Thanks for cutting costs. It is still a fuking autotragic. BORING.

Brian

SAVE THE STICK!!!

Rich
09-23-2010, 08:04 PM
www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/2011/experiencef150/

Watch the video called "torture test - dyno stress". Pretty cool!

2Kblacksleeper
09-23-2010, 11:15 PM
I really wish when they say best in class they had to say what else was in that exact class.

Ever notice how everything is best in class.

Just irritating.

beefcake
09-24-2010, 09:04 AM
I really wish when they say best in class they had to say what else was in that exact class.

Ever notice how everything is best in class.

Just irritating.

1/2 ton pickups, best in class,

ford always has best in class towing, toyota was advertising best hp in class, but the truck still wouldn't tow more

Rich
09-24-2010, 02:44 PM
1/2 ton pickups, best in class,

ford always has best in class towing, toyota was advertising best hp in class, but the truck still wouldn't tow more

Chassis and gearing go a LONG way in determining a trucks payload and towing rating. The 5.4 Triton Modular left a lot on the table in the power and gas mileage department, compared to some of the other manufacturers. But, as far as all around truck capability, the F150 was/is a step or two ahead.

My opinion of course!

Rich
09-26-2010, 08:07 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/23/ford-to-campaign-f-150-ecoboost-in-baja-1000/

Ford is really going through the hoops to prove the durability of the EcoBoost truck engine.

beefcake
09-27-2010, 08:41 AM
thats a helluva test right there!