Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Lawn Care Question [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Care Question

PaulFiveOh
07-31-2010, 07:56 PM
I take care of my folks lawn and I got a problem spot....

Last summer we cut down a huge oak tree then had the stump ground up.

I got grass to grow back there and it filled in nicely but now the grass is brown and crunchy and starting to get patchy only in the area where the tree/stump was.

I water the shit out of it and it seems to have no affect.

Any tips?

thecollector
07-31-2010, 10:46 PM
What kind of grass? Fescue? Bluegrass? How much light does it get? What is the soil like (dirt, rocky, some clay). Certain turf species have dormancy cycles in different times of the year. It may be dormant, it may be suffering from disease/parasite.

fordman
08-01-2010, 01:01 AM
scotts turf builder or just call scotts direct and ask the sure they got something to help.

Kevin1989
08-01-2010, 01:43 PM
What kind of grass? Fescue? Bluegrass? How much light does it get? What is the soil like (dirt, rocky, some clay). Certain turf species have dormancy cycles in different times of the year. It may be dormant, it may be suffering from disease/parasite.

i would say just call scotts

PaulFiveOh
08-01-2010, 03:32 PM
How expensive is Scotts Turf Builder

Kevin1989
08-01-2010, 03:44 PM
cant be too terribly much just call home depot or lowes

thecollector
08-02-2010, 02:07 PM
i would say just call scotts

So the next time someone posts up asking for tips on there car should I tell them to call a mechanic and a tow truck???:cool2:

Scotts runs from $20-60 a bag depending on formula, vendor and size.

May or may not fix your problem. Is the species of grass the same as that around it?? Was the stump dug out or grinded in place. If it was ground is there enough soil to sustain turf or are a lot of wood chips still present from the stump removal- not just on the surface but an inch or so into the ground?

Years ago when I was in the lawn business one of my customer's spent big $$$ to regrow the same problems she was trying to get rid of.

Im not saying scotts is a bad product by any means but it has become somewhat of a cure all snake oil to people. Throwing fertilizer on a distressed plant won't always help it, especially in the middle of summer.

Black92LX
08-02-2010, 03:20 PM
could be grubs. With the stump being ground up quite a bit of the wood would be mixed with the soil giving a nice nutrient area for the grubs. Grubs kill grass and give brown spots.

RIXXX93GT
08-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Like was said earlier you have to get all the wood chips out, those grinders pound them in the ground. How big an area is it? Till it up, remove all that dirt and spread some new top soil on top then re-seed.

PaulFiveOh
08-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks for all the good advice last 3 posters.

I suspect that it is a problem with an over abundance of wood chips combined with the soil density being much lower than the surrounding areas. It is the same species of grass.

I will try a Scotts product or similar before I do any thing drastic. The affected area is over 16sqft.

04 Venom
08-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I would suspect a lawn fungus. Scotts makes a product to treat the problem; it works.