Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Help with out of state title [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with out of state title

foxbodyfan
07-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Need some advise for buying an out of state vehicle. I was going to purchase a vehicle in Indiana and need some advise. What needs to be done legally buying from a private seller for title work? My understanding is Seller signs and dates title, fills in mileage. Buyer signs and then a bill of sale paper is filled out. Ive heard that titles in Indiana do not need to be notarized?

Would I have to pay sales tax in Indiana or Ohio?

Ive never bought a car out of state before and this one is 5 hours away one way. I don't want to have to make two trips.

bascom123
07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
You pay sales tax when you get your title in ohio, you need a temp tag or valid plate (Previous owner).

Ive done it a few times, if the PO will let you use his plates to get it back its best, otherwise you need the title ahead of time, go to the DMV with it, get a temp tag go pick it up, drive it back. Ive also heard if you have valid plates on another car this is replacing you can use them (but i have a hard time swallowing that one).

You will likely need to do a VIN check in Ohio as well (Most ohio dealerships will do them).

This all assumes your paying cash.

Have AAA, or bring tools in case the car decides to crap the bed on the way home.

But drive safe!

Mista Bone
07-29-2010, 04:27 PM
IN title = just sign the back, get out of state inspection once back in Ohio ($2) and then get title and pay taxes.

Temp tag is $19 and a waste nowadays. With a signed title and bill of sale, I drove home form IL without tags.

St33da
07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
just make sure the title is filled out correctly. no need to have it notarized. once you go to title it and plate it, have and out of state inspection done. taxes will be paid at time of titling the vehicle.