Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Clutch Review ?? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Review ??

Johnny O
07-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Can everyone post up which brand clutch they are using. How much HP you are running with the clutch? Also if anyone has had a bad experience with a certain clutch please post?

Brandon Alsept
07-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I use ACT clutches in my car. They make a very high quality product. Highly recommend them ;)

Gearhead
07-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Centerforce Dual Friction - nice light pedal pressure and had no issues with it, currently using it in my 93. Probably my favorite.

"knock off" King Cobra clutches - didn't like them at all, seems like they needed too much pedal travel to disengage. Also, needed to clearance the bellhousing so it wouldn't rub. Probably a real Ford Racing King cobra would be fine.

Ford Racing "Heavy Duty" - heavy pedal pressure, took awhile to get used to.

Spec Stage 2 - a little heavier pedal pressure than stock but not bad, sort of like an on/off switch though.

Ram Stock replacement - no issues, light pedal pressure.
Zoom Stock replacement - no issues, light pedal pressure.

Genuine Ford 94/95 Cobra clutch - very light pedal pressure, almost like a 4 cyl ricer clutch. Still have this one in my 91 SSP.

Hayes Borg & Beck style - pedal pressure so stiff that it would bend the clutch equalizer Z bar on my 69 Camaro, didn't like this clutch.

All my vehicles are low HP street cars, however...

redfirepearlgt
07-22-2010, 09:09 PM
McLeod RST Twin disk. Can use factory flywheel or your choice othewise. Pedal is as light as factory. Rated at 800 HP. Currently running 427 RHWP (dyno 7/17 cincy speed) with a 3.55 gear. Holds well. broke it in over 1000 mile break in. Was a bit concerned at first but it is holding fine and bights nicely. Not chatter, minimal shutter during breakin. Down side cost - about $700.00 for the clutch alone, shipped. Reviews by other McLeod owners have all been positive. I researched for a long time before pulling the trigger. The extra money was worth it in my book.

Of course you know about the Center Force DFX, which is my old 02 GT your wife has. That was a Centerforce dual friction. Pedal wise it was a bit heavier than the factory clutch. This RST clutch (pedal wise) makes that one feel like a gorilla would be needed to engage it and holds a lot more.

Sorry, I have read about others that have some negative feedback in comparison, but will reserve comment since I have no first hand experience with them.

Jake
07-22-2010, 09:22 PM
i dont know if i didnt prep it right, or break it in right (was light on it for a little over 500) but i am not very impressed with my ford racing clutch. its not the king cobra but other than that i dont know what it is. genuine ford racing from jegs. and i did this right along with a resurfaced flywheel. it is a little heavy, not terrible, and it engages fine. but does tend to slip a little on hard launches, and my car is a stock 98 GT.
hope that helps

Marker1989
07-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Centerforce Dual friction in my H/C/I 306 fox body.. Nothing but love for that clutch!!

I'll go a little deeper for those wondering. Holds power very well, extremely streetable, very nice pedal effort

RIXXX93GT
07-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Another vote for CF Dual Friction, great pedal nice bite.

sprayn93coupe
07-22-2010, 10:47 PM
CF Dual Friction

ibstrokin
07-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Ran 11.20's on a cf df, changed it because i thought it might not hold up to more power, but it never gave me any problems or indication that it wouldn't hold up.

Replaced the cf df with a spec 3, that was a great clutch also, i went 10.70's on that one. It also held up great, but i switched to an auto. Both clutches are great, but if it was more of a street car, i would use the cf df, since it has a lighter pedal than the spec 3.

Also, my car made 550 rwhp in it's normal tune/setup, both clutches handled that power just fine.

Rustanggt98
07-23-2010, 06:48 AM
ACT

I've gone 11.05 on radials with it, and the setup currently in the car has about 80 passes on it with no issues. Its been through hell and back. :cool1:

Galaxie
07-23-2010, 08:00 AM
I like the CF dual friction for a na application I have had 3 and never a problem but they didnt work well with boost . When I had my Xr if you were rolling and git it it would slip past the clutch for a few seconds then grab . This was at 22 lbs on a just above stock set up . On another note if you hit it right out of the gate it was fine . I have also had a stage 3 12 inch Spec behind a big block but it was animal to drive . I dont know if it was the pressure plate or the fact that the clutch set up was made of 3 different cars and two different engine applications to get it in there .

Johnny O
07-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Thank you all for all of this good info. I'm using a Zoom stage 2 now. It has a harder pedal than my wifes CF but works great. I was told my clutch wouldn't handle well with my new setup so im looking for something else.

NXcoupe
07-23-2010, 04:08 PM
I use a spec stage 3+ in my car in my sig. Makes upper 500's in power, ridiculous amounts of torque, and it is easy as a stock clutch to push in. They went to the cobra style pressure plates on all their clutches now to make them easier to push. I used one in my dd 600rwhp car, same stage 3+ and it was a breeze to drive on the street. I really liked it. lasted for 2 years pulled it out and it looked like new when I parted out the car. I also like the centerforce df, but as mentioned above, 11's on slicks is pretty hard on it. Hope it helps.

Johnny O
07-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I use a spec stage 3+ in my car in my sig. Makes upper 500's in power, ridiculous amounts of torque, and it is easy as a stock clutch to push in. They went to the cobra style pressure plates on all their clutches now to make them easier to push. I used one in my dd 600rwhp car, same stage 3+ and it was a breeze to drive on the street. I really liked it. lasted for 2 years pulled it out and it looked like new when I parted out the car. I also like the centerforce df, but as mentioned above, 11's on slicks is pretty hard on it. Hope it helps.

A few other people told me to go with a spec stage 3+ too. Thanks for the info about it. I might make that my choice.

rmracing
07-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Centerforce has light pedal pressure and I like there pressure plates but I have litterally blown several df discs completely apart . I wouldnt recomend the df disc for an abusive application . Spec has a lot higher pedal pressure than the centerforce . The spec or act organic disc WILL take alot more abuse than the DF disc will .

Maximus
07-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Im old, so I put an auto in my car. Geritol + TQ converter = OWNZ:tard:

05yellowgt
07-23-2010, 10:48 PM
I've had spec stage 3, stage 3+ and Spec SS Twin Disc. I've liked all 3 clutches. The current clutch in my car is the twin disc and it doesn't sneeze at 700rwhp. Drives nearly like a stocker with lighter pedal effort than stock too.

cstreu1026
07-23-2010, 11:04 PM
I had a Spec Stage 3 when the car was a stick. I never had any issues but it seemed like it took forever to break in. I think I must have put 5000 miles on it before it either broke in or I just got use to it.