Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Building a Garage, and need some input... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Building a Garage, and need some input...

KYGTP
07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Here in a couple of weeks I hope to start on a garage that I have being wanting to do for the past 6 yrs now and I am finally able to do it.

I want to put a lift in, but I am unsure as to what brand to get. I know there are a couple different brands out there, Bend Pak, Rotary, and a couple others. What would be the best bang for the buck and safety. I don't plan on using it like a full time "Garage" would, just did not know if any of you guys have any input for me. I have a 12' ceiling height where the lift is going, so I think I need a low ceiling type of lift.

Also, any other suggestion on what to put in it or to how to set it up, since I will have a little bit of room to work with.

Pops Fun
07-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi
My son has a lift in his garage... I am sure you could come over and talk to him if you want and see how his is set up in Milford..

Steve

Sloney50
07-20-2010, 10:41 AM
I have an Atlas and it works great! I drove out to Indy to pick it up......Heavy enough to lift my jacked duramax :)
Also with 12' ceilings you can run a standard height lift as they are 11'10"

thecollector
07-20-2010, 12:29 PM
+1 for the atlas. I don't have one but know those that do. For the price its a good hobbiest lift.

mustangboy
07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
How big of a shop are you looking to build?

Goldenpony
07-20-2010, 01:31 PM
I bought my lift from Greg Smith Equipment in Indy. It is a model TP9KAC with a 9,000 lb. capacity. It is powered by a 240 volt motor.

I built a new garage 2-3 yrs. ago. I built it with an intent to put in a lift from the start. I had the concrete floor poured a little thicker to take the load. I had a 240 volt drop installed in the ceiling above where I was going to install the lift. I had the garage built with 12 ft. ceilings.

The lift came knocked down and strapped to a skid, delivered by a freight company. I installed it myself. It wasn't too hard a job, but it was work. The "kit" was complete with everything I needed to bolt it together and secure it to the floor. All I had to buy was hydraulic oil.

It was (I think) a little under $1500 delivered. The lift works flawlessly, some of the best money I ever spent.

Good luck.

KYGTP
07-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi
My son has a lift in his garage... I am sure you could come over and talk to him if you want and see how his is set up in Milford..

Steve

Thanks, I may have to take you up on that, just see.

I bought my lift from Greg Smith Equipment in Indy. It is a model TP9KAC with a 9,000 lb. capacity. It is powered by a 240 volt motor.

I built a new garage 2-3 yrs. ago. I built it with an intent to put in a lift from the start. I had the concrete floor poured a little thicker to take the load. I had a 240 volt drop installed in the ceiling above where I was going to install the lift. I had the garage built with 12 ft. ceilings.

The lift came knocked down and strapped to a skid, delivered by a freight company. I installed it myself. It wasn't too hard a job, but it was work. The "kit" was complete with everything I needed to bolt it together and secure it to the floor. All I had to buy was hydraulic oil.

It was (I think) a little under $1500 delivered. The lift works flawlessly, some of the best money I ever spent.

Good luck.

What Brand was that? Looks like a nice lift and may be what I am looking for, since it is just a hobbist lift.

I have an Atlas and it works great! I drove out to Indy to pick it up......Heavy enough to lift my jacked duramax :)
Also with 12' ceilings you can run a standard height lift as they are 11'10"

+1 for the atlas. I don't have one but know those that do. For the price its a good hobbiest lift.

That is good to know, I was thinking of a 9k lift since I have some friends with pretty big trucks, and I know they will want to use it.:rolleyes:

Goldenpony
07-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks, I may have to take you up on that, just see.

What Brand was that? Looks like a nice lift and may be what I am looking for, since it is just a hobbist lift.

That is good to know, I was thinking of a 9k lift since I have some friends with pretty big trucks, and I know they will want to use it.:rolleyes:

I think the brand name is North American Auto Equipment. By the way, the motor is 220 volts.

stocknotch
Metcalf Racing is the guy you need to talk to about all your concrete work. PM me if you want his number.

KYGTP
How big of a shop are you looking to build?

Here is a pic of the plans, since I do not have a digital set of them. I hope you can make it out, kinda hard to see though.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/seanspic/SANY0284.jpg

The top is the front of the garage, and to the left is where you come in and there is a bathroom and a closet and some counter space on that wall. The Counter will not really be a working area really, but I maybe a space to put a frig. and such. It has three bays and the working area is about 43 wide or so by 40 deep, enough to pull my trailer inside and have a car parked in front of it. I kinda forget what the exact dims. are since I am still waiting on bids.

Also, most of the ceiling is 11' but if you look at the center bay where the lines are drawn, that will go up to 12'. I had to do it that way, kinda a long story as to why though..................

The one thing that I am having a hard time figuring out how to set everything up and where to build "work" stations, but not screw my self by not use the space wisely. Any Though on that will help me as well.

Thanks all the input guys, this helps.:bigthumb

Sloney50
07-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Greg Smith is also where I bought my Atlas............

KYGTP
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Greg Smith is also where I bought my Atlas............

Dirtyd0g
07-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I bought my lift from Americasprideonline. Don't cheap out on a 7000 lb lift, go with 10,000 or higher. Mine was a 10,000 lb 2 post with the extended reach for long vehicles. The down side of the extended reach is that you have to kick the rear arms under a mustang then push it forward, but the extra clearance to get the doors open really helps.
Alan

Rick93coupe
07-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Where did you get the plans for the garage and what do you think it's going to cost to build it? I've always wanted a garage with room for a lift and a loft up top.

KYGTP
07-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Where did you get the plans for the garage and what do you think it's going to cost to build it? I've always wanted a garage with room for a lift and a loft up top.

The plans were custom drawn by a place closed to me, they drew my house as well 5 yrs ago. But if you do a search on the net for garage plans, you will come across all kinds of plans that have rms/lofts above them that may work for you. Do to the plans that I have, I had to "work the system" and make them a certian way, do to local codes and regualtions for my city.

The rm upstairs has a small bed rm, bathroon, and a small kitchen and the rm above where the lift is going to be will be 2 steps to get up into it, which can be used a office or small craft rm.

Here is what the Front will look like:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/seanspic/SANY0292.jpg

And here is what the back will look like with a door going in so there is now stairs, just in case I need for a old family memeber:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/seanspic/SANY0293.jpg

mustangboy
07-20-2010, 09:21 PM
So is it going to have a basement as well? Looking at the left side elevation it looks like it does

Metcalf Racing
07-20-2010, 09:46 PM
I know a guy with a great concrete business. Just sayin

KYGTP
07-20-2010, 09:57 PM
So is it going to have a basement as well? Looking at the left side elevation it looks like it does

That part of the garage is going into a hillside, so it is a full wall to hold the hill back. That door in that back is the second floor/loft area so the grade will start at that door and make its way down to the garage floor elevation. I wanted to make so that you can either use the stairs in the front or just drive up around back and not have any stairs to get into the second floor.

I hope to be able to get the outside completely finished before the cold weather hits, I just hope to get moving here soon

Galaxie
07-22-2010, 03:00 PM
I have a Bend Pak it was a little more money but you get what you pay for . I have a Atlas tire changer and its junk you can see the hole main support pull in when a tire starts to bind and stall out . My buddy has a coats and it will kick the breaker before anything happens with it . I bought my hoist here . http://www.gesusa.com/BendPak-XPR-10CX-Two-Post-Lift-p/120117.htm
I went to Greg Smith Equipment to get a tranny jack and the salesman suggested that I not buy one there since I was a buisness .I thanked him and then asked why he claimed there made for private use not buisness use .I do have a Atlas winch and its pretty nice .

Dirtyd0g
07-22-2010, 07:51 PM
I bought the most expensive transmission jack the place I got my stuff from could get, it works well for the money but I really want a gray. They are the best.
Alan

ADaughen
07-23-2010, 08:11 AM
KYGTP, a little motivation:

http://buildthreads.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/garage-re-vamp/
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/garage-forum/137412-2008-garage-re-vamp-time.html

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg124/MJandrews/July29th2--8079.jpg

ETA:
I *WISH* this were mine. I imagine he pays more in insurance than I make, however. :/

KYGTP
07-24-2010, 10:53 PM
KYGTP, a little motivation:

http://buildthreads.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/garage-re-vamp/
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/garage-forum/137412-2008-garage-re-vamp-time.html

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg124/MJandrews/July29th2--8079.jpg

ETA:
I *WISH* this were mine. I imagine he pays more in insurance than I make, however. :/

Well, I do have three bays, but I will not have the ANY of those cars any time soon, that is for sure, maybe some day a Porsche, but I doubt it though, since my Garage is going to cost me an arm and a leg and what most mid size homes cost to build:eek:

But, at least I am getting the size that I want.