Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Newest edict from the Islamic Republic of Ohio [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newest edict from the Islamic Republic of Ohio

Goldenpony
07-08-2010, 03:24 PM
All,

I received the latest copy of Mopar Collector's Guide today and read some very disturbing news for Ohio auto enthusiasts. Back in December a bill, HB 191 (aka the "Monica Durban Law"), passed the House by a landslide and will soon be passed by the Senate if our voices are not heard. I'm not talking about an annoying emissions law or crazy rule about historical tags. The bill will instruct police officers to SEIZE your vehicle and take away your license for a year if they see rapid acceleration, fast driving, burning tires, or street racing. They won't impound it. They will TAKE it and sell it at a state auction! Not only that, but it loosely defines the term "street racing" to include just about anything. Revving your engine at a stop light can be considered taunting or promoting a street race. Again, it is up to the police officer's discretion. If you have a car that could be seen as "souped up", you'll be targeted. If you are just watching someone displaying any form of "street racing", you are equally guilty because you are promoting illegal activity!

A couple years ago a young lady was put in a 6-month coma when a drunk driver was racing a friend on an on-ramp to I-70. The drunk driver was killed. Instead of focusing on the fact that the kid was drunk, they are deciding to "increase the penalties" to "help deter people from entering in a race" and essentially declaring war on any and all performance vehicles in our state!

Don't take my word for it. Read the bill yourself:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/analysis.cfm?ID=128_HB_191&hf=analyses128/h0191-i-128.htm

We've all seen or heard of bills that threaten our hobby by causing an inconvenience or extra expense, but this one hits very close to home. You don't have to be doing anything wrong or dangerous for a policeman to take your beloved car and charge you with a felony!

By the way, how many of you even heard of this bill??? And it's half way to becoming a law! I urge you to contact your state senator. Below is a link to the state senate where you can find the senator from your area. Each senator has contact information listed and a link to which you can send email.

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/

Here is a link with quick tips for writing an effective letter to legislators.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61703

Please pass this along to all your car buddies to prevent the state from giving law enforcement an unprecidented amount of power over us and our hobby.

In the name of horsepower!

Eric Gebert

- President, Tri-State Mopar Club in Cincinnati

k062693w
07-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Hmmm ... Looks to me like another DON'T BREAK THE LAW and you have nothing to worry about deal !!!

I mean really people, Quit BITCHING and WHINING about it and DON'T BREAK THE LAW !!! Seems pretty simple to me !!!

facemelter71
07-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Hmmm ... Looks to me like another DON'T BREAK THE LAW and you have nothing to worry about deal !!!

I mean really people, Quit BITCHING and WHINING about it and DON'T BREAK THE LAW !!! Seems pretty simple to me !!!

Out of curiousity,do you have catalytic converters on your car? If not,your breaking the law.And Im telling.

Maximus
07-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Wow, Ok really? You have NEVER reved your engine, done a Burnout, or got in a "friendly" race with your friends on the street?:rolleyes:

Stangman
07-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Wow, Ok really? You have NEVER reved your engine, done a Burnout, or got in a "friendly" race with your friends on the street?:rolleyes:

For real. lol!

My horn doesnt work "all" the time on my '94... so if I see someone I know... the easiest thing to do is just give a friendly rev!

The government hates cars.

facemelter71
07-08-2010, 05:16 PM

If I remember correctly in his build thread he left "an 80ft mark" with his brand new tires.

k062693w
07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Out of curiousity,do you have catalytic converters on your car? If not,your breaking the law.And Im telling.
:flipoff: Tattle Tale !!! :lol:

Yes I have !!! And I knew I was Breaking the Law and would accept the consequences for doing so ... I never said I never broke the law or don't still !!! Maybe you should go back and re-read what I said !!! :drunk:

If I remember correctly in his build thread he left "an 80ft mark" with his brand new tires.
But I went and scrubbed away the marks, So you can't tattle on that !!! :lol:

draggin50
07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
I like how a bill gets voted through and you never hear a word about it till its to late. Im guilty of all of what it defines!! I understand that I shouldnt do it but if caught give me a ticket, throw me in jail but dont take a car and sell it for peanuts just to put a few dollars in the hands of crooked politicians!

facemelter71
07-08-2010, 05:55 PM
:flipoff: Tattle Tale !!! :lol:

Yes I have !!! And I knew I was Breaking the Law and would accept the consequences for doing so ... I never said I never broke the law or don't still !!! Maybe you should go back and re-read what I said !!! :drunk:

But I went and scrubbed away the marks, So you can't tattle on that !!! :lol:

To late.Ive got pics.Im sending them in right now.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Well mark my words, if my car is ever seized with the intention of auctioning it off, they better keep me in jail because i'll break into the impound and burn it to the ground before i let them auction it off. I'd like to see them prosecute me for burning down my own car.

1986GT
07-08-2010, 06:50 PM

Aaron come on dude are you serious. How far do laws have to go before you change your attitude on something like this. Every new law is just a baby step man. Less freedom ect ect... We have enough F*#KING laws already. You heard this speech before I know but my point is.... I'll go WAY WAY extreme here on my example to make sure I get my point across.

Say 10 years from now things are so bad out of hand that you cant even leave your house unless the gov says you can. And if you do you will be shot on site. Of course everyone would hate this and raise hell about it. Would you tell them to shut up and quit bitching because if they don't break the law they don't have to worry about being shot. I very much doubt it.

I look at every new law against Americans as being this extreme. No matter how big of a deal it sounds or doesn't sound. Its every Americans right to BITCH all they want about it too because it will never stop until we eventually have no freedom left. If you ask me the people trying to fight this crap are admirable.

By the way don't view this as an attack on you because its not. I just had something to say about this subject because I think it is way more important than a lot of people think. I have always got along with you and like you "if I can say that without sounding...................you know. LOL!

Just imagine your foot slips of the clutch on accident taking off from a light and your tires squeal. Say good by to your car street racer boy!

Kevin1989
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
if this bill passes I feel like you will ave alot more of people dying some people are dumb enough to take off if they see blue lights... Everyone capable of getting away the thought will cross your mind... How many of our cars out run a crown vic. All it takes is one moron dumb enough to run... And when be looses control running from the police and collides with a school bus. I'm just thinking it's going to cause alot more problems

k062693w
07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Aaron come on dude are you serious. How far do laws have to go before you change your attitude on something like this. Every new law is just a baby step man. Less freedom ect ect... We have enough F*#KING laws already. You heard this speech before I know but my point is.... I'll go WAY WAY extreme here on my example to make sure I get my point across.

Say 10 years from now things are so bad out of hand that you cant even leave your house unless the gov says you can. And if you do you will be shot on site. Of course everyone would hate this and raise hell about it. Would you tell them to shut up and quit bitching because if they don't break the law they don't have to worry about being shot. I very much doubt it.

I look at every new law against Americans as being this extreme. No matter how big of a deal it sounds or doesn't sound. Its every Americans right to BITCH all they want about it too because it will never stop until we eventually have no freedom left. If you ask me the people trying to fight this crap are admirable.

By the way don't view this as an attack on you because its not. I just had something to say about this subject because I think it is way more important than a lot of people think. I have always got along with you and like you "if I can say that without sounding...................you know. LOL!

Just imagine your foot slips of the clutch on accident taking off from a light and your tires squeal. Say good by to your car street racer boy!

I don't take it personally !!! :bigthumb So we're COOL !!!

I just get tired of all the "POLITICALLY" Themed threads !!! I thought this was Stangbangerz ??? A Mustang/Car site for Tech, Buying/Selling Parts, Cruise Ins, Racing, Etc !!! And lately it seems it has become StangWhiners !!!
I mean there are thousands of political sites on the web for things like this, And it seems everytime I log on there is a thread Bitching about a law that if they were so interested in polotics they would have done something sooner rather then waiting until it was passed, And then coming to a CAR site complaining ... Like I've said in other "similar" threads if they are so concerned about it, Then run for office and do something about it !!!
And your comparing "Getting Shot" to "Street Racing" is not an apples to apples comparison ...

And BTW That's why I have AUTOMATICS !!! No foot slipping off the clutch !!! LOL

1986GT
07-08-2010, 07:50 PM
I don't take it personally !!! :bigthumb So we're COOL !!!

Awesome I was hoping so!:bigthumb

I just get tired of all the "POLITICALLY" Themed threads !!! I thought this was Stangbangerz ??? A Mustang/Car site for Tech, Buying/Selling Parts, Cruise Ins, Racing, Etc !!! And lately it seems it has become StangWhiners !!!

I agree 100% but this one actually has merit with our hobby IMO. So I think this is a great place to bring it. Others in the past I have not though.

And your comparing "Getting Shot" to "Street Racing" is not an apples to apples comparison ...

I for seen this statement coming when I made mine which is why I said this.........

You heard this speech before I know but my point is.... I'll go WAY WAY extreme on my example here to make sure I get my point across.

By the way permanently confiscating my stang would feel like I got shot.:lol:
So they are kinda close.

And BTW That's why I have AUTOMATICS !!! No foot slipping off the clutch !!! LOL

I also knew you would say this but I figured you would get my point. LOL!

Goldenpony
07-08-2010, 09:44 PM
There was probably somebody at the Boston Tea Party saying "Quit bitching and whining".

Crucial
07-08-2010, 11:20 PM
then maybe our local race track should be open more then 6 hours a week

IWRBB
07-09-2010, 11:26 AM
if this bill passes I feel like you will ave alot more of people dying some people are dumb enough to take off if they see blue lights... Everyone capable of getting away the thought will cross your mind... How many of our cars out run a crown vic. All it takes is one moron dumb enough to run... And when be looses control running from the police and collides with a school bus. I'm just thinking it's going to cause alot more problems

You are right on the money with that. If stopping means giving the state a car I have over $40K in- I'll take my chances running. What's the incentive to stop? You know you are going to lose your car.

You can get away, I've seen a couple people running from the police on the highway. Each time they got off one exit before the roadblock that was waiting for them.

Fuck the police...

347StrokedGT
07-09-2010, 02:41 PM
WOW, that's f'd up. I dont street race but have revved my engine in playing with someone. I can understand where its coming from, but like other rules it wont deter street racing. People will find better places to race. Its just like drugs and drinking, it will continue. Correct me if Im wrong, but there are other states with something similar. California comes to mind. Open more tracks and and there will be less street racing. I was talking to some guys last eve and the said that the closest track to them was 2 hrs way.

347StrokedGT
07-09-2010, 02:42 PM
then maybe our local race track should be open more then 6 hours a week

:fna:

beefcake
07-09-2010, 07:55 PM
this whole forfeiture thing is a bunch of crap!!!

legalized extorsion

cobrajoe
07-10-2010, 04:40 AM
Hell I've had Cincy cops tell me to bounce it of the limiter(exaggeration, but you get my point) in Downtown at 3am! Sitting at a traffic light

redfirepearlgt
07-10-2010, 08:50 AM
I mean there are thousands of political sites on the web for things like this, And it seems everytime I log on there is a thread Bitching about a law that if they were so interested in polotics they would have done something sooner rather then waiting until it was passed, And then coming to a CAR site complaining ... Like I've said in other "similar" threads if they are so concerned about it, Then run for office and do something about it !!!

People who stick their heads in the sand over issues like this end up being the biggest whiners of all when these types of bills become law. So to appease you I assume we should all sit on our hands and just let the lawyers run the show right? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The reason the laws have gotten so out of control to begin with is because of complacent people like yourself who "don't like politics". You do enjoy the benefits or what is left of them don't you? But when it comes to making the slightest effort to protect them you don't want to be bothered with politics. That is the mindset these kooks have hoped for. Good job.

Don't like the subject? Don't read it. You have that freedom for now anyway. Your other option would be to deport yourself. There are plenty of countries to choose from that may better suit your need for thought control.

beefcake
07-10-2010, 09:13 AM
People who stick their heads in the sand over issues like this end up being the biggest whiners of all when these types of bills become law. So to appease you I assume we should all sit on our hands and just let the lawyers run the show right? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The reason the laws have gotten so out of control to begin with is because of complacent people like yourself who "don't like politics". You do enjoy the benefits or what is left of them don't you? But when it comes to making the slightest effort to protect them you don't want to be bothered with politics. That is the mindset these kooks have hoped for. Good job.

Don't like the subject? Don't read it. You have that freedom for now anyway. Your other option would be to deport yourself. There are plenty of countries to choose from that may better suit your need for thought control.

this is the email i received back at 7:35 this evening

Mr. Reeves:

I have spoken with the chairman of the committee hearing this bill, and I do not expect this bill to pass.

Tom Niehaus

TurboNG
07-10-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm sorry but if they have a law that states they will take my car then i wouldnt pull over for the cop, i might even put them in the ditch. I'm a decent person and follow most the rules, but this is still America right now and my car is my car i paid for it in more than one way and i'll fight for it till the end. Law or no Law. Touching my car is like touching my wife, if you don't pay to play then your gonna get shot!

02mingryGT
07-10-2010, 10:03 AM

+2 :bigthumb

k062693w
07-10-2010, 02:37 PM

NOPE !!! You made your opinion of me and you are VERY WRONG !!! :bigthumb

If I have a problem with a bill, law, etc. that the "ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE" officials are making I will call or write (which I have done NUMEROUS times) my Represntatives, Congressmen, Senators, Etc... And let them know my thoughts about it !!!
I don't go to CAR SITES whining and crying about it ... Because as far as I know most politicians don't troll car sites looking for the peoples opinions !!!
I don't have nor have never had my "Head in the sand" nor do I go blindly following what ever laws/bills are being made ... And if some of you would spend half the time contacting the lawmakers instead of crying just think how far ahead this country would be ??? But of course I wouldn't expect much more from a Squid !!! LMAO
Semper Fi :bigthumb

redfirepearlgt
07-10-2010, 03:53 PM

If I have a problem with a bill, law, etc. that the "ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE" officials are making I will call or write (which I have done NUMEROUS times) my Represntatives, Congressmen, Senators, Etc... And let them know my thoughts about it !!!
I don't go to CAR SITES whining and crying about it ... Because as far as I know most politicians don't troll car sites looking for the peoples opinions !!!
I don't have nor have never had my "Head in the sand" nor do I go blindly following what ever laws/bills are being made ... And if some of you would spend half the time contacting the lawmakers instead of crying just think how far ahead this country would be ??? But of course I wouldn't expect much more from a Squid !!! LMAO
Semper Fi :bigthumb

Well good to know Jarhead! Too many years have passed since my separation in 1993 for me to be offended by squid remarks. I always welcomed a Marine on the ship. You can never have too many potential gung ho future heros on board for added security. Thank you for your service. :bigthumb:bigthumb

Threads of this nature raise people's awareness on websites like this so that they can write their state rep like I just did after reading this myself. Therefore the function of this thread if it only reaches one person who takes action is well worth your lack of tolerance for it.

Sorry if I read you wrong. I am glad I did. By the way you were responding, you reminded me of a typical non-active anti-american living off the system who only boo-hoo's when the laws start caging them in a corner and taking away their entitlements. Like you I am active as well. Even currently working as a volunteer on a Congressman's campaign in the adjacent district, because I feel the current incumbant is a total turd.

Last, and I will then retire myself from this thread, the initial author of the thread was only making people aware of what was occurring and the potential that could arise from it as I read it. You brought the opinion made by myself and others on yourself by your comments. Glad I was wrong about you. Have a nice weekend. I yield my remaining time to the floor.

TurboNG
07-11-2010, 09:04 PM
I don't have nor have never had my "Head in the sand" nor do I go blindly following what ever laws/bills are being made ... And if some of you would spend half the time contacting the lawmakers instead of crying just think how far ahead this country would be ???

Are you not crying about it now? I could see mb if the law didn't effect cars, being on a car forum but it does effect cars and their owners, we have our opinion and have the right to voice it, even you, but i wouldn't try and discourage people from voicing their blood spilt given right to do so. ;)

93RedNotch
07-14-2010, 01:54 PM
This bill isnt going to pass. Its agianst the admentments to take your property and sell it without a fair trial. And the fact that going through some gears on the on ramp to a highway or a little revv at your buddy heading the other way can get your car sold is stupid. I dont care what laws they make, drugs are illegal, people do them. Speeding is illegal, people do it. Making more strict restrictions on cars and racing wont stop it, just make people more pissed off than they already are.