Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Onboard Rocket Video [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onboard Rocket Video

TZ250
07-03-2010, 12:34 AM
This is a onboard video that I took today of my Apogee Aspire. It was powered with a D12, but it will handle up to a G78. It went to approx. 1,300 ft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYZyg3WFyxc

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss58/TZ250Fanatic/Rockets/Robs_Aspire.jpg

Foxxx5oh
07-03-2010, 02:46 PM
wow, that kinda altitude reminded me of airborne school all over again, i've always wanted to try model rockets but knowing my luck id get it all the way i wanted it and it would just explode...lol

djom1cincy
07-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Looked like it come down as fast as it went up.

Kevin1989
07-03-2010, 03:30 PM
man i used to be so into thoes things then my dad said it was illegal andi couldnt shoot them off anymore! i have a 2 stage rocket i never built in my closest.... i wanna go buy another now.

chris91
07-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Thats pretty badass. What kinda camera are you using on it?

And Kevin why are they illegal???

Kevin1989
07-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Thats pretty badass. What kinda camera are you using on it?

And Kevin why are they illegal???

apparently its firing a projectile in city limits... my dad was a cop in mason for 28 years and is a big stifler with that shit... i how ever know the cops have better things to do than mess with a kid and his dad shooting a rocket.

chris91
07-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Ahhhhh, yeah doubt they would really mess with ya for that.

Kevin1989
07-03-2010, 04:30 PM
i might buy another one here soon if i can find a place to let her ripp i had so much fun with thoes things

TZ250
07-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Kevin, according to NFPA regulations as long as it weighs less than 1.5 Kg (about 3.3 lbs), is not made of metal, has less than 62.5 grains of propellant and less than 160 Newtons of energy, it's legal to fly anywhere. There are two sanctioning bodies in the United States, the National Association of Rocketry and Tripoli. For more information, visit www.nar.org or www.tripoli.org .

That means that any hobby rocket will qualify. To get to that power level, a motor would have be H class or higher. Most people fly with A's,B's,C's and D's. Anything outside of those restrictions requires licensing and FAA waivers. My rocket will go up to 5,500 ft. and is perfectly legal to fly anywhere.

As for the camera, it's a keychain spy camera from eBay. It was $11 to the door. I taped it to the side of the rocket looking down. Yes, it did come down to fast. I tried a new streamer that didn't work as well as I had hoped. A parachute is sometimes to slow. That allows the wind to make the rocket drift very far. We wouldn't be able to see it at 5,500 ft. It could easily drift a mile away in the several minutes of the descent.

chris91
07-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Is there a place locally that you can pick these up at? My son would love to help me build and launch something like this.

AntiRice427
07-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Thats cool. It would be neat to see the launch in slow motion!

TZ250
07-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Is there a place locally that you can pick these up at? My son would love to help me build and launch something like this.

The Hobby Shop near the Dayton Mall has a good selection of rockets. Most of their kits are ready-to-fly. This rocket was a kit that I built. It required only basic hand tools and wood glue. For supersonic speeds the fins need to be attached with epoxy. Max. speed of this rocket, with a bigger engine, is about 940 MPH.

This is a great company to deal with. They're friendly, have good prices, and send (optionally) emails with .pdf files with rocket building tips. I highly recommend Apogee. However, when possible I try to spend money locally. The Hobby Shop only carries up to D motors. For F & G's, you'll have to mail order those. My Apogee Aspire is a Skill level 2 kit, and it was very easy to build. It's 29" tall.

http://www.apogeerockets.com/

http://www.apogeerockets.com/Skill_lvl_2_kits.asp

http://www.apogeerockets.com/aspire_rocket.asp

chris91
07-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Hmm wonder if there are any places down here in Cincy. I knew of one Hobby place and that was Hobby World off of Mosteller Rd. and they closed. Guess its time to search around. Id rather buy from a local store myself. That way you get to check out the item before purchasing it.

Mista Bone
07-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Hobbytown USA near JCPennys off Fields Ertel Road or Pit Row in Kenwood.

chris91
07-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Oh damn, forgot all about Pit Row. They are fairly close too.

Kevin1989
07-04-2010, 01:43 AM
hell yea thanks for the info! i wanna build another one, its been awhile... just gotta find a place to use it.

redfirepearlgt
07-04-2010, 07:20 AM
We used to make ours from scratch. Wrapped sheets of paper around a broomstick handle to form the fusalage. Made the engine compartments from dow rod. Made fins from card board or paperboard. Nose cones from corks. Never worried about chutes. Built a launch pad, launching mech, the whole thing from scratch. The only thing we bought were the engines. Had a ball doing it.

sean
07-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Pit row used to be pretty expensive compared to hobbytownusa. Chris. If you want me to do a price check for you let me know what your looking for..(spell it out) lol and I will go check hobbytown.

Cool vid. Make some more.

TZ250
07-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Cool vid. Make some more.

I will. I have to repair this rocket. I'm also building a much larger rocket that is made of fiberglass. It should fly this month.

I'll post more videos once I make them. I have another motor that will take the rocket to 560 MPH. That would be a cool video. The expected altitude is 3,000 ft. for that motor.

I'll post pictures of the new rocket soon.

Gearhead
07-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Pretty cool vid !!! I used to really be into Estes rockets when I was a kid. Sometimes we'd launch 'em and never end up finding them...

BigBadStang
07-05-2010, 03:56 PM
... my dad was a cop in mason for 28 years and is a big stifler with that shit...
Translation..."my dad was a dick cop." :lol::lol::lol: