Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
looking.............. [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : looking..............

96SaleenReplica
06-23-2010, 06:02 PM
im looking for a 5.4 short block anyone know where one might be at and how much?.............................ALSO i am wanting to put it in my 98 gt vert with the sohc pi heads now im new to the modular engines so does anyone know if this is a possable or even good set up? and what about the timing? let me know please anyone thanx......

cstreu1026
06-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Well there is another thread about the swap. Personally I wouldn't bother with it. The 4.6 already has a long stroke and the 5.4 makes it worse. You only have two options when it comes to intakes for a 2V. You can use adapter plates to put a 4.6 intake which puts the injectors too far up in to the intake or you can drop $700 on a HPS Hardballer intake. You can use shorty headers for a 4.6 but you need to modify a 4.6 mid-pipe or have one custom made. If you want to go with long tubes custom are your only option. There may also be some clearance issues with the hood because of the added deck height. Beyond that the rest of the parts should bolt on. You won't want to use your stock heads because they don't flow enough for a 4.6 let alone the 5.4. Personally I don't see a need for a 5.4 for a mild build. You can put together a pretty stout NA 4.6 that should make anywhere from 340 to almost 400 RWHP (depending upon heads and cams) using a factory short block.

96SaleenReplica
06-25-2010, 07:58 PM
ok so i should just run the regular 4.6 and i am wanting to get cams and a kenny bell blowzilla and i have also thought about long tubs what do u think i should do to get max horse without spend a buttload of money im wanting to try and get close if not into the 10's NEED ADVICE!!!!

Blackout
06-25-2010, 11:43 PM
ok so i should just run the regular 4.6 and i am wanting to get cams and a kenny bell blowzilla and i have also thought about long tubs what do u think i should do to get max horse without spend a buttload of money im wanting to try and get close if not into the 10's NEED ADVICE!!!!

well..10's is harder than what you think, and most of your money will go into your shortblock. I was quoted 3300 for a shortblock from MMR and if your looking for 10's your going to need to change your fuel setup, bigger injectors, stud your heads and a hole lot of other stuff that will need to be done to make it last and be reliable. Not to mention that you will need to upgrade and adjust your suspension just so the power gets to the ground. And also not forget...get a trans that will hold up. It takes alot of power to get these heavy ass sn95 cars in the 10's if you keep the car fully dressed. I would look at spending at least $7500-$10000 on the setup not including the supercharger. I am working at building my 02GT and it is Turbo'ed. Lots of power but the stock shortblock will not last with anymore than 10 psi.

Just stay with the 4.6l but build it and build it right. They are great engines in design, but the internals are just simply junk because of the material they made it with. You can get yourself a cams and a KB Blowzilla but limit yourself to 8-10psi and go from there on your builds. You can also get your long tubes but I can tell you....they are a pain in the ass to put on. If you go with the supercharger and the cams w/ exhaust you should be able to get close into the 11's. I was pushing 400 rwhp & rwtq and ran 12.50's all day but that was on drag radials/slicks spinning. I needed suspension in order to get the power to the ground. I hope this helps. I don't want to discourage you from your ambitions but I am just trying to let you know that there isn't anyway to make the power and run the times unless you put the money into your car.

96SaleenReplica
06-26-2010, 10:01 PM
well hell yeah man thanx for all the help and i appreciate u explaining all of it to me i will take ur advice and go with that what kind of short block should i build and whats it gonna cost u think.......mayube the 5.0 stroker kit for the 4.6? i dunno whats ur thoughts???

Blackout
06-27-2010, 01:00 AM
check out MMR. They have some of the best prices and they use all high end parts. As far as a stroker goes, you can do what ever your wallet desires, just keep the compression low for boosted applications. I bought the on3performance kit and have been very happy with it. I just popped the #1 piston, so like I said, start with a short block if your going with alot of boost, if not more than 10 psi I would just get a supercharger and water/methanol kit and dyno tune. Then go have some fun. :)

NXcoupe
06-27-2010, 01:45 AM
I use a lot of probe racing/coast high products for my engines I've built. 05yellowGt's engine has coast parts in it. They use the kellog cranks and good H beam rods and their pistons are economical and they don't try to shove a std bore kit down your throat like some others do. Always bore your block unless it is a brand new std bore block. The on3 kits are great, I am going to be a dealer for them, so there will be some sbz discounts here soon. A 5.0 stroker kit will give you about 20 hp more than a 4.6 with the same components. not really worth it in my book but hp is hp, to some it is worth it.
Anyway, yeah, a 4.6 is easier to work around and can make gobs of power with the right combo.

Blackout
06-27-2010, 11:45 AM
New 4340 Forged 3.543 stroke Cobra Crankshaft w/micro polished journals at no extra charge

*New 4340 5.933 Manley H-beam Rods w/ARP rod bolts ( These US made rods are shotpeened, magnafluxed and weight matched to bring you the finest H-beam rod available for your 4.6)

*New Forged Manley or Diamond pistons (High or low compression)

*Speed Pro file fit rings (precision file fit to your application, nitrous, blower, turbo or N/A)

*Speed Pro/Federal Mogul or Clevite Tri-metal Rod and ACL Performance Main bearings

This is what I am ordering.

cstreu1026
06-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Why mail order an engine thats no cheaper than you can get here at home? Its a lot harder to deal with an issue when they are on the other side of the country.

The factory blocks and cranks in the mod motor will take just about anything you can throw at them, evan the cast cranks. The stock (non-03/04 Cobra) rods and pistons are junk though. A big bore motor (3.700 vs. 3.552) is a better option than a stroker and with the rather reasonable price of the FRPP Boss block its not far off in cost.

Blackout
06-27-2010, 02:43 PM
im talking about a shortblock guarenteed to hold 1000 rwhp. with a 1 year warranty. if the shortblock fails, i can take it to the shop of choice and MMR says that they will cover all the cost. I have checked just about every where for something thats comprible with the same parts and I havnt been able to find it locally. The engine shipped to the door w/all ARP main studs, side bolts, cryogentic treated high vol oil pump w/pu tube, balanced & blue printed, was $3200. If there is anyplace willing to buildit for that price..let me know.

cstreu1026
06-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Well I hope it works out for you but I've heard too many bad stories about MMR to risk that kind of money. You get what you pay for and if they are cheaper there is a reason why.

96SaleenReplica
06-27-2010, 05:18 PM
hmmm well thanx for the help im going to look into this and put the extra money into the bottom end and thanx for everyones help ill hit u guys up if i have any questions thanx again

Blackout
06-27-2010, 05:34 PM
well your going to have bad stories no matter where you buy something. its just where you feel the most confortable.

cstreu1026
06-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Well everyone has a bad day once in a while but MMR seems to have a pretty substantial reputation for failed parts and unhappy customers.