Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
I'm not the smartest mechanical guy, but really?? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm not the smartest mechanical guy, but really??

beefcake
06-16-2010, 11:30 PM
post on s197 in reference to auto vs manual power

Can the loss of HP in an Auto be overcome with the right tune ?

yeah, computer control can override the laws of physics and rotating mass lol

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Some people just dont get it

Waffles
06-17-2010, 12:14 AM
All you have to do is change the coefficient of friction setting. Duh.

Ranger50
06-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Sure it can. Just delete the transmission altogether. :D

Dirtyd0g
06-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Heh, the logic most people don't see is that an auto can keep a engine directly in it's power range instead of going up and down.
Alan

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Heh, the logic most people don't see is that an auto can keep a engine directly in it's power range instead of going up and down.
Alan

yeah but thats essentially what costs you the extra bit of hp.

Dirtyd0g
06-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Exactly. Few things in this area are free. Windage trays are the only free horsepower I can think of.
Alan

Blackpony
06-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Wait, cars have transmissions?

Waffles
06-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Wait, cars have transmissions?

Only blue ones.

facemelter71
06-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Maybe im reading to much into it but that is a decent question. Maybe your jumping conclusions.

This is what Im gathering from it.
Auto trans have more of a percent HP loss than with a Manual Trans.That difference in loss,say it be 10-12 HP (guess) can be made up for with the right tune.

Car 1 has Manual trans and 300 HP.Car 1 has no tune.
Car 2 has Auto trans and 290 HP.Car 2 has tune to make up for the extra drivetrain Loss.

Or maybe he is just a RE-RE and I read way to far into it.

Waffles
06-17-2010, 10:06 AM
It's much more fun just to poke fun of him.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
I would imagine there might be a way to make a converter that used less power but it would be minimal and probably somewhere along the lines of stock. I don't know for sure, i know there's at least one person on here who makes converters...but does a higher stalling converter create more parasitic loss of power?

Hypothetically speaking, you could probably build a transmission with lighter gears...like say titanium, and then you would have a lot less rotating mass within the trans which might cut down on loss some but who knows how titanium would last in a trans environment. With an auto you're just kind of screwed especially depending on what trans you have. I'm pretty sure a trans like an AODE is more parasitic than a C4...or in other words the more simple the trans the less parasitic it is. I've heard C6's are one of the worst for this but they're also very strong in return.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Maybe im reading to much into it but that is a decent question. Maybe your jumping conclusions.

This is what Im gathering from it.
Auto trans have more of a percent HP loss than with a Manual Trans.That difference in loss,say it be 10-12 HP (guess) can be made up for with the right tune.

Car 1 has Manual trans and 300 HP.Car 1 has no tune.
Car 2 has Auto trans and 290 HP.Car 2 has tune to make up for the extra drivetrain Loss.

Or maybe he is just a RE-RE and I read way to far into it.

Your point might be valid depending on how you look at it, since the same tune that "makes up for the loss" can be applied to the manual trans car to make even more power which then puts it back in the lead over the auto.

Stangman
06-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Whew! I'm glad my cars arent blue!!

but that raises the question... what happens if you paint your car blue? Answer me that...

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-17-2010, 02:28 PM
The secret is DON'T paint your car. Paint has weight. Strip it down to bare metal and it'll go faster :D

Stangman
06-17-2010, 02:49 PM
The secret is DON'T paint your car. Paint has weight. Strip it down to bare metal and it'll go faster :D

Or at the VERY least... primer :bigthumb

Dirtyd0g
06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
I would imagine there might be a way to make a converter that used less power but it would be minimal and probably somewhere along the lines of stock. I don't know for sure, i know there's at least one person on here who makes converters...but does a higher stalling converter create more parasitic loss of power?

Hypothetically speaking, you could probably build a transmission with lighter gears...like say titanium, and then you would have a lot less rotating mass within the trans which might cut down on loss some but who knows how titanium would last in a trans environment. With an auto you're just kind of screwed especially depending on what trans you have. I'm pretty sure a trans like an AODE is more parasitic than a C4...or in other words the more simple the trans the less parasitic it is. I've heard C6's are one of the worst for this but they're also very strong in return.

Lockup changes everything. With lockup you can run absolutely rediculous stall numbers and drive down the highway just like stock.
Alan

Johnny O
06-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Is this being compaired with a N/A or Boosted Engine?