Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
A question about oil pressure... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A question about oil pressure...

apollo
06-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Okay, so today I got my car out for the first time this year. The car has two oil pressure gauges - the stocker, and an autometer. When it fired up, boom, 45-50psi on the autometer, and right on the "M" in "Normal" on the stock gauge.

I went on a 15min cruise, and towards the end of my drive, while the autometer was still reading right on the line between 25 and 50 (so about 38psi then I guess), the stock gauge started to slowly fall, and act a little erratic. Like it slowly worked its way to the "R", then the "O", then to the edge of the "N" - but again, the autometer stayed the same.

When I pulled it in the garage and idled, the autometer dropped to 25psi.

Anyway, I don't see any reason why I should have an oil pressure issue, but I just wanted to run this by you guys to make sure this is more of an electrical fluctuation and not a mechanical problem.

mustang8998
06-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Probably just the stock sending unit going bad. I would trust Autometer gauges way more than stock.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Jeff88coupe
06-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Sounds normal to me...cold oil=more pressure, warm oil=less pressure. I wouldn't trust the stock oil pressure gauge at all...think of it as a on/off switch. What weight oil do you run?

apollo
06-09-2010, 10:49 PM
I just run 5W-30. Motorcraft for now, maybe one a these days RP.

Yeah, I can't imagine an oil pump would slowly fail or something, but it just makes me a little nervous.

facemelter71
06-10-2010, 10:45 AM
My 86 oil sending unit wire rubbed on the valve cover and send it straight to ground.The gauge pegged itself all the way to the red below the "N".

mustang8998
06-10-2010, 07:01 PM
My 86 oil sending unit wire rubbed on the valve cover and send it straight to ground.The gauge pegged itself all the way to the red below the "N".

And I bet you went "OH SHIT!". :eek:

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-10-2010, 08:32 PM
I read a long time ago that stock gauges on just about all cars are meant to measure more at the extremes than what's actually going on, or in other words they will read average most of the time no matter what temp you're running, but will show if you're really over heated or if you're cold. The reason is to not distract the driver from the road when changes occur. On my car the stock temp gauge always read on the hot side but it has never over heated.

mustang8998
06-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I read a long time ago that stock gauges on just about all cars are meant to measure more at the extremes than what's actually going on, or in other words they will read average most of the time no matter what temp you're running, but will show if you're really over heated or if you're cold. The reason is to not distract the driver from the road when changes occur. On my car the stock temp gauge always read on the hot side but it has never over heated.

I think you just contradicted yourself. :dunno:

facemelter71
06-11-2010, 09:59 AM
And I bet you went "OH SHIT!". :eek:

I hit the key and pulled off the exressway right by walmart near the Colerain exit on 275.I dont know how other people are but I check my gauges ALL THE FREAKIN TIME.I seen that oil PSI gauge Bury itself all the way to the red.Made my butt hole pucker,thats for sure.

apollo
06-11-2010, 08:54 PM
I hit the key and pulled off the exressway right by walmart near the Colerain exit on 275.I dont know how other people are but I check my gauges ALL THE FREAKIN TIME.I seen that oil PSI gauge Bury itself all the way to the red.Made my butt hole pucker,thats for sure.

That had to be a scary moment for sure. Yeah I really do try to keep a close eye on all my gauges, which is why I start to get a little nervous when they act weird. I guess so long as the Autometer is reading good, we're okay.

What then is a good "normal" oil pressure for a 5.0? I mean at what point should I suspect a problem if the Autometer goes lower?

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I think you just contradicted yourself. :dunno:

I don't mean it read that it was overheating, just a tad past dead center.