Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Any HVAC folks out here ?? Central AC problem.... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any HVAC folks out here ?? Central AC problem....

Katmandu
05-30-2010, 11:44 AM
I have an older (20 year or so) Rheem system that I believe is a 2 ton. Maybe 2.5 ton. The compressor just started getting loud and is humming. The condensor fan also just stopped working.

I've have the Condensor fan motor rebuilt TWICE in the past (2)years. Also, I had the system check a couple years back and the Tech said the A-Coil "may" have a leak. He probed it with a "Sniffer" for over an hour and wasn't able to find the leak. He recharged the system and all has been well until recently.

A few days ago, I turned the system ON and it worked just fine. I go to turn it ON yesterday and no something is fugged up. ??

Yes, I know I "should" buy a new system since it's old, but can not afford to at this time.

Ideas ??

djom1cincy
05-30-2010, 12:30 PM
I have a guy at work who does it on the side. Did a good job for me. Let me know and I will send you his number.

redfirepearlgt
05-31-2010, 09:01 AM
I have an older (20 year or so) Rheem system that I believe is a 2 ton. Maybe 2.5 ton. The compressor just started getting loud and is humming. The condensor fan also just stopped working.

I've have the Condensor fan motor rebuilt TWICE in the past (2)years. Also, I had the system check a couple years back and the Tech said the A-Coil "may" have a leak. He probed it with a "Sniffer" for over an hour and wasn't able to find the leak. He recharged the system and all has been well until recently.

A few days ago, I turned the system ON and it worked just fine. I go to turn it ON yesterday and no something is fugged up. ??

Yes, I know I "should" buy a new system since it's old, but can not afford to at this time.

Ideas ??

Condensor coils will get dirty over time and need to be cleaned so they can properly disiapte heat. The fan in the unit asists in the airflow process. The compressor may well be on the verge of failing as well. Try these things:

When the unit has been running for an extended period of time did you ever notice a drop in airflow coming out of your registers throughout the house? If so you likely have a low charge an the primary loop again. It needs to have refrigerant added. The A-coil freezes up and blocks airflow from the recirc fan
in the furnace unit which supplies air flow throughout the house.

Clean the condensor coil on the unit itself sitting outside. This is a highly neglected thing. It is responsible for disapating the absorbed heat to outside atmosphere.

Get the condensor coil motor issue resoloved (you knew that already I am sure).

Hopefully cleanign your condesnor cold, and ensuring the Freon Charrge on the unit is good will reslut in the compressor laboring less. It may be too late however and either one of the above issues has caused the failure or merely time has decided to victimize you compressor in which it would be likely cheaper to install a new unit.

My father worked ACR for 35 years. He has helped me with my unit. I am merely passing on this information. Hope this helps.

mustangboy
05-31-2010, 10:01 AM
My capacitor just went bad and caused the fan to quit working, just a thought

Byrd Man
05-31-2010, 10:34 PM
My capacitor just went bad and caused the fan to quit working, just a thought
Kenny, usually when the capacitors go bad. The condenser fan motors go bad within 6 months if not replaced at the same time.

Byrd Man
05-31-2010, 10:42 PM

Ideas ??

So is the compressor still operating, but at a loud pitch?
Without the condensor fan operating. The compressor will/should shut down on high head pressure. A-1 Electric on top the hill in Covington is the best place to get a electric fan motor.

Katmandu
06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
So is the compressor still operating, but at a loud pitch? Yes, the compressor still runs. It gets louder the longer it runs.

I believe maybe the system has run low on refrigerant causing the compressor to work extra hard and then run louder.

I'm puzzled by the condensor fan not working (Again!) for the third year in a row! Like I said, I've had that damn motor rebuilt twice in the past two years already. The last time, the shop did add a new capacitor in-line.

I do clean and hose out the condensor unit every year so it is clean.

Do they make leak sealer for R-22 like the do for R-134a ??

djom1cincy
06-01-2010, 08:58 AM
My guy can fix you up. He has worked on mine twice. Had a board go out two winters ago. Unit was trying to run ac and heat at the same time. He come over and saved the day for me. If not I would have been spending money on a whole new unit. He does heating and cooling for the company I work for then does it on the side. Super nice guy. Shoot me a pm if you want his number. The longer it runs messed up the more damage and money it cost to fix. I get nothing out of refering people to him. Just trying to help you out.

Katmandu
06-01-2010, 11:01 PM
The longer it runs messed up the more damage and money it cost to fix. I get nothing out of refering people to him. Just trying to help you out.I haven't run it at all since I found it it was messed up.

I'll PM you. :bigthumb

95turbocharged
06-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Yes, the compressor still runs. It gets louder the longer it runs.

I believe maybe the system has run low on refrigerant causing the compressor to work extra hard and then run louder.

I'm puzzled by the condensor fan not working (Again!) for the third year in a row! Like I said, I've had that damn motor rebuilt twice in the past two years already. The last time, the shop did add a new capacitor in-line.

I do clean and hose out the condensor unit every year so it is clean.

Do they make leak sealer for R-22 like the do for R-134a ??

We have a lot of blower motors go out at work(apartment complex) and most of the time it from someone replacing the motors and getting them out of balance. Spin the wheels and look at the balance,