Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Getting Scamed on the 70 mach 1?? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting Scamed on the 70 mach 1??

MWoods26
05-22-2010, 04:17 AM
So heres the deal. Im sure a lot of you saw the posting I had on here for the 70 Mach 1 that my dad decided to sell. We put the car on ebay two weeks ago with a starting bid of 17,500 and no reserve. With in the first few hours it was listed it had a bid. The guy never contacted me to ask a single question about the car or wanted to look at it or anything so I really wasnt counting on him even though he had 100% feedback. Well the week goes by, no other bids, he wins the car for 17,500. Not long after the auction end I get this "Hi Mike i just sent you $500.00 pay-pal i wiil need informations for wire transfer;
Name of bank
Address of bank
Swift code
Routing number
Account munber
Benificiary name
Benificiary address"

I reply right away that Im not giving out my bank info to ANYBODY. It was clearly stated in the auction that I will take a 500 paypal deposit but the car must be picked up and paid for in CASH. I have never heard back from the guy and its been a full week now. I have sent him a few emails through ebay and the email addy that was linked to the paypal account that he sent me the 500 bucks from. he is a "Verified" paypal user but the phone # on his paypal acct is "no longer a woking number" I check the paypal daily and the 500 is still there. I though for sure it was going to be from a stolen credit card or hacked paypal acct or something. Im stumped:confused:

Mista Bone
05-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Contact Ebay.

89coupe
05-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Its a scam ive went through that a couple of times on Ebay if hes serious he would have contacted you....

thecollector
05-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Scam.

BlazinEagle
05-22-2010, 09:13 AM
scam contact ebay and paypal.

Paul408Notch
05-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Sometimes it can take a month before paypal will pull that back out of there. I'd just leave it there, contact ebay about refunding/relisting due to the fraudulent buyer, and move on. If the $500 is still in your paypal account in a month or two, consider it a lucky bonus?

facemelter71
05-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Cant you just take the 500 since it was a hold? I believe once the money is removed from the paypal account there is nothing that person can do to get it back.I would take it as a re-listing fee.Just a really large re-listing fee.Or maybe take 200 of it.

LETHALSTANG
05-22-2010, 10:14 AM
SCAM.... you need to report to EBAY & PAYPAL!!

Gearhead559
05-22-2010, 11:00 AM
SCAM.... you need to report to EBAY & PAYPAL!!

this. next listing put no refund's deposit in the ad.:lol:

tell ebay about it. they will handle it

redfirepearlgt
05-22-2010, 11:46 AM
You were smart not to bite on that one. Count yourself lucky for having the street smarts not to bite on the requested information. As for the paypal, I agree with Paul. Leave it for a month and if it holds then call it a lucky day.

Rick93coupe
05-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm with these guys on updating the add with "non refundable deposit of $500.00."

I'm really glad you didn't give out all that information. I hear older people do it all the time and loose everything.

MWoods26
05-22-2010, 02:24 PM
scam contact ebay and paypal.

For what? Im not out anything right now. If the 500 comes back out of my paypal I will contact ebay to file a non paying bidder dispute to get my 125 selling fee back but as of right now im ahead 375. One more thing, I looked through winning bidders feedback and his most recent transaction he won a 2003 BMW z4 for 16,000 from a "dealer" in Indiana. I called the dealer to see if the transaction really took place and the guy at the dealer said he gave the guy all his bank info and he wired the money! Im still not falling for it. I think the guy I spoke to at the "dealer" could be my scamer.

sean
05-22-2010, 02:51 PM
If you have any doubts talk to your bank and open up a new account just for this transaction. If it works great if not close the account and move on. I would leave the 500 alone for a month or so. The 500 is def fishey and nothings free man.

cstreu1026
05-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Have you're bank contact his bank to initiate the wire transfer. When my father-in-law sold his RX7 to a guy in Oregon that's the way they handled the payment.

redfirepearlgt
05-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm with these guys on updating the add with "non refundable deposit of $500.00."

I'm really glad you didn't give out all that information. I hear older people do it all the time and loose everything.

I warned my grandmother (now 89) when she started surfing and using email some years ago about scams like this. Thankfully she has listened other than one time when she answered singles free column for fun. She put no information other than description and age which she was forced to check "other" because the age brackets didn't go that high. She was telling me about it and laughed saying, "I never got a single thing back from them either.". She was 84 at the time. Some woman she is. Always has questions about her computer and how she can better use it every time I see her.

MWoods26
05-22-2010, 03:27 PM
If you have any doubts talk to your bank and open up a new account just for this transaction. If it works great if not close the account and move on. I would leave the 500 alone for a month or so. The 500 is def fishey and nothings free man.

Im not opening a new acct or jumping through any hoops for this guy or anybody else to buy this car. It was clearly stated in the auction that this car must be picked up and paid for in CASH.

MWoods26
05-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Have you're bank contact his bank to initiate the wire transfer. When my father-in-law sold his RX7 to a guy in Oregon that's the way they handled the payment.

I dont even know who his bank is. The only contact I have ever got from the guy is the first email I copy and pasted in the first post of this thread. Dosent matter though im not interested doing it that way.

winner70ta
05-22-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm with everyone else who is recommending that you contact and report this one to eBay. You specifically set terms in your ad for cash payment and the "buyer" totally blew you off asking for all of your personal banking information for an alleged wire transfer. I've bought three cars off of eBay before and one of them was out of state. All of them went like butter although the '03 Cobra I had to pay off his loan and wait a bit for all of the paperwork to clear. Even so, that went very smoothly. If this guy was wanting your car he would've been willing to jump through the hoops necessary to make it happen. Contact them, explain the situation and copy them emails that you have received. If you get to keep the $500 then that is great if not that should be all right. The thing now is that you still have a car that you were wanting to sell and with this crap that you are dealing with it keeps you from re-listing and selling it to somebody who may really want the car.

MWoods26
05-22-2010, 04:30 PM
What good does it do to report this to ebay? Like I said before Im not out anything yet. I didnt fall for the scam! I cant report him to ebay as a non paying bidder to get my 125 selling fee back because as of right now ebay sees that he payed me 500 thru paypal from a verified acct with a confirmed addy. Im 375 ahead in this scam at the moment. As soon as the money comes back out of my paypal I will report it. You have 90 days to report a non paying bidder and get listing/selling fees back.

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Not even filthy stinking rich people throw around $17k without asking questions about what they're buying.

MWoods26
05-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Not even filthy stinking rich people throw around $17k without asking questions about what they're buying.

Yes I somewhat agree. That was the first thing I thought when the guy placed his bid. I was hoping that somebody who would come look at the car would out bid him but nobody who said they wanted to look at it ever showed up. I did give it the outside chance that since there was a good discription and plenty of pics of just an untouched survivor one family car that there really wasnt much to ask. It was very well presented in my opinion. Still no way that I would bid that much on anything with out asking a few ?s but then again Im not filthy stinking rich either

MWoods26
05-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Spoke with the people at the dealership in Indiana again. I think they are legit now and they said the guy just picked up the car he won from them this week. said the guy was french and hard to comunicate with but has been buying up cars and getting them imported to Canada. Im not convinced one way or the other that this is a scam. I guess only time will tell.

Mista Bone
05-23-2010, 01:18 AM
So in that sense, you are holding part of the guys money and not completing the transaction, so who looks like the scammer now?

See my first post.

MWoods26
05-23-2010, 03:24 AM
So in that sense, you are holding part of the guys money and not completing the transaction, so who looks like the scammer now?

See my first post.

Are you retarted? Im more than willing to complete the transaction if the guy would respond to any of the 4 or 5 emails I have sent him. Where did you get lost at in this story? How can I look like a scammer? the cars here, hes got my number and my email, all he needs to do is tell me when he wants to come get it and bring the cash.

Mista Bone
05-23-2010, 04:12 AM
So why are you avoiding contacting Ebay?????

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-23-2010, 06:23 AM
I don't think holding up the transaction makes anybody look like a scammer...it's just being cautious. I wouldn't blame him in the least when you're dealing with this kind of money.

MWoods26
05-23-2010, 11:07 AM
So why are you avoiding contacting Ebay?????

For what? what is it that you guys think ebay is going to do? are they going to go to his house and make him call or respond to my emails? I cant report him as a non paying bidder because the deposite he sent through paypal is legit, so far.

cobra429boss
05-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Keep the 500 buy you something nice.. He's scam

Katmandu
05-25-2010, 10:23 PM
I would not take anything but cold hard CASH with at least (2) photo IDs.

k062693w
05-25-2010, 10:40 PM
I would not take anything but cold hard CASH with at least (2) photo IDs.

Why in the Hell would you need 2 photo IDs if they have cash ???
That makes no sense to me at all !!!

Katmandu
05-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Why in the Hell would you need 2 photo IDs if they have cash ???
That makes no sense to me at all !!!One word Aaron. CONTERFIET.

Foxxx5oh
05-26-2010, 12:53 AM
who has 2 photo ID's anyway?

MWoods26
05-26-2010, 01:43 AM
who has 2 photo ID's anyway?

Military personel such as myself.

As for an update on this story. I got a phone number for the guy from the dealer he had just bought a car from.The dealer was right about one thing. there english is not very good and very hard to communicate with. When I tried to call the buyer I got ahold of his brother and was told the guy had a heart attack last week and is in the hospital. Who knows. Im keeping the 500 bucks unless paypal takes it back and Im going to give them till July 1st before I try to sell the car again

Katmandu
05-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Military personel such as myself.x2.

If I'm dealing in that kind of money, there are TOO MANY ways to get f**ked over.

I know a dude personally that got ripped off of his $9,000 Harley.

He sold it off Craigslist. The dude came to pick it up in a U-Haul truck and handed him a Cashiers Check. He picked the bike up, loaded it and he was gone.

Guess you can figure out the Cashier's Check was BAD!!

The Seller had NO RECOURSE! He had NO WAY of ID'ing the asshole.

All I'm saying is.... Seller BEWARE!

Katmandu
05-26-2010, 09:20 AM
IIRC, there was a kid here (on Stangbangerz) that a similar scenerio happened too.

Kid lost his Mustang if I'm not mistaken!

03z06vette
05-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Id say next time do a non refundable deposit, and pick up time limmits.

heyitsmepugsley
05-27-2010, 12:26 AM
if he's french and moving cars to canada he obviously gets around so chances are he has two forms of id. passport state id from were he is now and were he's from... but anyways take the 500 and mikey and pugsley get beers and explosives.

bascom123
05-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Sold my 1966 online through SVT, guy paid by bank wire to me from Denmark, he then had the car picked up and shipped overseas.

Giving your bank account info does not allow him to withdraw only deposit. I was a bit skeptical so i told him till the money was in my account the car was going no where. He was a good communicator though and all went well.

Canadian Dollar is strong right now so for good cars at our prices suddenly its 20-30% less then it was 6 years ago.

Good luck, i hope you get what your owed.

holeshot
05-27-2010, 10:22 AM
i agree with bascom123. wiring money directly into your bank account is the only way to go these days. sometimes i dont even trust cold hard cash since counterfeiters are so good.
if you are skeptical about giving your account number and routing numbers to someone, think about this...checks have your checking account number and the banks routing number right on the bottom of the check. no one can touch your money unless you go to your bank and authorize it.
typically there is a fee to wire money (around $20), and for large purchases i will just offer to pay it for the buyer. that way you have the money instantly and when its in there...its there. then you can hand over the keys and not worry for a check to clear.

Katmandu
05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
if you are skeptical about giving your account number and routing numbers to someone, think about this...checks have your checking account number and the banks routing number right on the bottom of the check. no one can touch your money unless you go to your bank and authorize it.That's a good point.

How many EBay Feedbacks does he have ? What's he's EBay Username ?

What's the EBay item # ?

MWoods26
05-31-2010, 09:03 PM
A close to this story. I just talked to the guy today. He said he was too sick, just got out of the hospital,didnt want to fool with the car and to just keep the deposit. Kinda sucks that we have to mess with trying to sell it again but then again I got 375 bucks out of this deal after paying ebay so I cant bitch.

Foxxx5oh
05-31-2010, 09:13 PM
well at least there was some resolution and closure, it could have been worse and he could have asked for the money back, but all in all it just seemed like a misunderstanding with a seemingly stand up guy. good luck on reselling :)

turbohatch
06-01-2010, 11:50 PM
the same thing happened to my brother he bought a 6.0 motor and got a email after the auction asking if he could wire the money to his account so he did and month later after still no response from the seller he went back to the bank and asked if there was anything he could do and the guy had tried to pull money out 3 other times and they traced it back to GERMANY some one was intercepting the emails. We got ahold of the ebayer and the guy didn't recieve any emails from my brother there was nothing we could do because it was out of the country. cashier checks is another scam if you recieve one they have 30 days to cancel it and get there money back after you already sent what you sold, the only cashiers check that is good is a U.S.P.S.