PDA

View Full Version : Any luck with the really slim fans?

Rick93coupe
05-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Clearance is going to be an issue between my radiator and the downpipe and I need to start looking for a slimline fan. I need to get an exact measurement off the radiator but I need something very slim and it can't go in front. What brands flow well and are reliable? I'm thinking about getting one with a built in shroud vs just an open unit. I doubt any OEM stuff will fit.

Maximus
05-21-2010, 11:15 PM
I ran one up front and a larger one in front of the engine. Seemed to work on the street.:)

Rick93coupe
05-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I have like no room in the front and what room I do have is going to be crammed full of tranny cooler.

Maximus
05-21-2010, 11:25 PM
I mounted my tranny cooler in the rear. As long as it gets air through it, it doesnt matter where its mounted. You will need to sacrifice the trans cooler up front to get the Radiator fans up there. I had a **** hair of an inch between the DP and plastic electric Fan. No problems on the street whatsoever.
Good luck.:bigthumb

Stangman
05-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Would a dual fan from a V6 contour fit? They are slimmer than a trimmed down Mark Viii fan...

Maximus
05-21-2010, 11:27 PM
WHOA! Since when is C-nt a censored word??

Rick93coupe
05-21-2010, 11:42 PM
I mounted my tranny cooler in the rear. As long as it gets air through it, it doesnt matter where its mounted. You will need to sacrifice the trans cooler up front to get the Radiator fans up there. I had a **** hair of an inch between the DP and plastic electric Fan. No problems on the street whatsoever.
Good luck.:bigthumb

I have a ton of room in the rear too and wanted to put it back there but the consensus is that it won't get enough air flow out back. Did you have good tranny temps? Did you have a fan on it?

Maximus
05-22-2010, 01:37 AM
Dual Pass Trans cooler with fan and John Deere HYGARD FTW!

facemelter71
05-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Can you run that in place of regular merc-dex3? Ive heard of the stuff,just never heard of any one running it in a car.

Rick93coupe
05-22-2010, 11:37 AM

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-29-2010, 12:51 PM
You may wanna find someone who can bend sheet metal, and run one really badass small diameter single fan off to one side and have a custom shroud built so that it pulls air through the whole radiator. The guys i've talked to when selling fans where always concerned with melting the shroud even if it did clear....if you had a sheet metal shroud you wouldn't have to worry about that. I know a Taurus fan would be powerful enough and it's kind of offset to one side but again it has a plastic shroud.