Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
OK to draw balancer on with crank bolt? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OK to draw balancer on with crank bolt?

5.0calypso93lx
05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm going to be installing my balancer all the way and was wondering if it was ok to draw the balancer on using the crank bolt.

I've heard this can be rough on the crank threads, even with the 5/8" bolt.

I'm assuming the balancer fits the crank fine, as that is what the engine builder used to balance the rotating assembly with.

I know the proper way is to measure the OD of the crank snout and the ID of the balancer and have it machined if necessary, but my guess is it's probably already ok?

What do you guys think?

Foxxx5oh
05-21-2010, 04:53 PM
they SAY not to do it because it may booger the threading, but in some cases it is the only way to get it on other than hammering it on or doing any kind of machining.

best bet is to see if maybe a little bit of white lithium grease may help it slide on, and with the grease on there slowly draw it in

White1967
05-21-2010, 06:20 PM
You can borrow a balancer installer from Auto Zone and make it easy on you and your crank.

k062693w
05-21-2010, 07:01 PM
If it was used by the builder to balance then it should go right on ...

Rick93coupe
05-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Use the installer tool, someone local to you has one I'm sure. You really can booger the crank, I've done it myself before I learned the correct way.

5.0calypso93lx
05-21-2010, 11:38 PM
I lubed up the snout of the balancer and it went right on. Thanks guys. Now for my lower intake manifold not matching up!

Rick93coupe
05-21-2010, 11:40 PM
yuck, been there.

Rick93coupe
05-21-2010, 11:45 PM
I lubed up the snout of the balancer and it went right on. Thanks guys. Now for my lower intake manifold not matching up!

How did your oil pan situation work out?

5.0calypso93lx
05-21-2010, 11:53 PM
How did your oil pan situation work out?

The gasket is actually really thick and took up the space. It looks to be ok. We'll find out haha. I sent the rear main cap and the pan back to Moroso. The rear main is actually slightly taller on the two piece rear main seal caps. They only make one pan though for both.

What did you do about the intake?

Rick93coupe
05-21-2010, 11:58 PM
The gasket is actually really thick and took up the space. It looks to be ok. We'll find out haha. I sent the rear main cap and the pan back to Moroso. The rear main is actually slightly taller on the two piece rear main seal caps. They only make one pan though for both.

What did you do about the intake?

I tried to tell you that..lol.

I just posted in your thread. There is supposed to be a gap in the front and rear of the intake. The gasket "kits" come with cork or rubber to fit on there, but since they tend to leak, you just omit them and use permatex like you did.