Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Help me, I'm a none shifting mofo! [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help me, I'm a none shifting mofo!

05yellowgt
05-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Ok I got to thinking here since I should have my car out for the first time this year about how horribly I shift. As a lot of you know, I had quite a few issues with the various 6 speed combos I had in my car between clutches and shifters. Because of this, I have been a bit gun shy with my shifting to say the least. I was going over in my head how my typical trip down the 1/4 mile goes. It goes a little something like this.

Step 1: stage and rev up ready to go
Step 2: drop clutch
Step 3: get ready to shift around 6500
Step 4: Clutch all the way in and let up on gas
Step 5: grab next gear
Step 6: release clutch and get back into the gas
Step 7: repeat steps 3-6 till end of run.

Here is a quick video example of my not so quick shifting:
YouTube - John Stewart - Procharged Mustang Shakedown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zLyc6fnUYg)

I know I should be powershifting for the best ET's but there is the gun shy part I mentioned earlier. Here is what I am thinking I need to get to in order to not be so slow.

Step 4: drop clutch, while at the same time grabbing the next gear while holding gas matted to the floor
Step 5: release clutch
Step 6: repeat steps 1-5 till end of run.

My question is, are there any tricks or tips with technique to help get me over the hump and not be so anxious about tearing shit up? I know there are some shifting mofo's around here, give up some tips to your non-shifters anonymous brother!

cstreu1026
05-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Put an auto in it.

Timido
05-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Get a 2 step on a button so you dont have to worry about launch RPM. Hammer down and leave it floored. Flair the clutch and shift.

Timido
05-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Put an auto in it.

I have alot less problems with my Glide than I ever did with clutchs and manuals.

kennebellcobra
05-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Make sure you have your clutch adjusted with a lot of disengagement...should release towards the top of the pedal travel.

Try it first with the 3-4 shift...gives you move time and that will get you use to it.

Don't try and do it to fast...start with a low shift point cause you will get some flare up.

beefcake
05-17-2010, 09:55 PM
get a wot box!!!!! that'll help a bunch i think

of course, i wouldn't mind a nice 4r70w setup lol

Jeff88coupe
05-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Yep...gas pedal foot should never come off the floor during a pass.......kick the clutch pedal...grab the next gear...bang...best et's.

2007ShelbyCobra
05-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Everyone knows I usually cant drive for shit, but when I do powershift or practice, starting around 4000 is nice. Even if you shift slow, you shouldnt shoot up so much that you rev limit. Another thing ive noticed is timing it perfect so the second you touch the clutch, your arm is ripping the shifter. Your foot kicking is faster than your arm can be.

Squale iii
05-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Everyone knows I usually cant drive for shit, but when I do powershift or practice, starting around 4000 is nice. Even if you shift slow, you shouldnt shoot up so much that you rev limit. Another thing ive noticed is timing it perfect so the second you touch the clutch, your arm is ripping the shifter. Your foot kicking is faster than your arm can be.

Ya, do what he says.

05yellowgt
05-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Unfortunately there aren't any adjustment options on the 05+ because if the hydraulic clutch setup unless you have a mcleod TOB which I don't have any longer because the last one I had blew its o-rings on me. A 1+( box is an option Terry but I still need to speed up my shifting as a whole before any powershifts take place. Keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate it.

redfirepearlgt
05-18-2010, 12:13 AM
My question is, are there any tricks or tips with technique to help get me over the hump and not be so anxious about tearing shit up? I know there are some shifting mofo's around here, give up some tips to your non-shifters anonymous brother!

I have been told (I believe them) that power shifting can yield 3 tenths off your ET IF done right and effectively. Like you I have a hard time trying this because I'd rather not leave third gear resting in the lane at mid track while the rest of the car rattles it's way back to the pits if it makes it at all. I'd just be happy to find a set of street tires that will grip on the track going into second at a 6200 RPM shift so I don't have to pedal for traction. 1.9-1.8 60's suits me fine on 235 street tires but they break loose on the track going into 2nd gear at E20 and TS so I have to pedal a bit to gain traction. I'd like to try a 255 series 17 with a slightly softer compound to see if that helps any. There aren't many 27" tall choices to speak of for a 17X8 rim and no DR or Street ET options other than a 26 or 28 for that rim size that I have found. A 26 tire is a bit short and messes up the gearing at the diff. making the shift to second even more touchy. As for the speed shifting, I'll let the track keep the 3 tenths. I will try the 3-4 shift but that will be the limit. I am just having fun once in a while at T/T. It's different when I was young and driving Dad's cars. Now that I am a long time on my own I have to pay for the tear ups, myself. LOL!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-18-2010, 12:46 AM
I shift pretty quick but i always let up between shifts....mainly because i dont have a rev limiter but also because im afraid of breaking something. I know i leave some on the table but so far ive been happy with my et. If i were a tenth away from 11s or something like that then i'd try it.

beefcake
05-18-2010, 12:15 PM
i agree john, but the wot box will give you the confidence to leave your foot down,

one less thing to concentrate on during the process

facemelter71
05-18-2010, 01:46 PM
StevesLx should chime in.I know he is a shifting MOFO.And likes to break shifter knobs right off of the handle.Ball of electrical tape FTW.

Steves LX
05-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Well like anything else in life once you do something a certain way all the time it's hard to do any other way. So first off dont get aggravated when you have convinced yourself to just do it and then at the last second you get scared and you lift between shifts. Like many other said you just need to go out and do it. I would practice on the street first and like Shannon said do the 3-4 shift for starters. The way I learned was I used the 3-4 as well until I got comfortable. The other thing that worked for me was I held my foot about half throttle just cruising at a steady rpm in 3rd gear down the street and then clutched it and shifted into 4th. I did this over and over until I got comfortable. I then went 3/4 throttle and did the same thing and before I knew it I was foot on the floor. That worked best for me so I could get my clutch foot and shifting arm in sync together. Naturally the less gas you give it the slower you can shift it without flare up. So I say start off slow on the street and work your way up. Before you know it you will find yourself powershifting at the track and on the street when you feel like goofing off. And like Jeff said, you need to actually kick the clutch pedal just as if you were kicking someone. If you do it all nonchalant you are going to miss gears everytime. So rest your foot on the pedal and kick it down like you mean it. Your foot and arm should be evenly matched in speed or in sync with each other.

05yellowgt
05-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Kick the clutch pedal huh, I never thought about doing it like that. Must be a big part of why I'm slow. It would be nice to be able to adjust the clutch release, its about 1.5 inches from full travel right now for full release.

Steves LX
05-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Kick the clutch pedal huh, I never thought about doing it like that. Must be a big part of why I'm slow. It would be nice to be able to adjust the clutch release, its about 1.5 inches from full travel right now for full release.

Well call it what you want. But yeah you need to be fast with it. Kick it, stab it, shove it, push it. It's all the same thing just different slang. You just need to be aggressive with it. If you go out and do it like you are shifting normal, then its not going to work to well for you. It sucks that your clutch cable isn't adjustable. Like Shannon said in an earlier post you need a lot of clutch disengagement. The higher your pedal comes up before the car starts to move the better. Because the opposite will happen when you kick the pedal down to make your shift. Just a few inches after pushing the pedal you will be able to complete your shift to the next gear. But you still need to be aggressive with it and shove it hard. Check your PM's

05yellowgt
05-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks Steve.

Drivermod
05-18-2010, 07:35 PM
The best way to get your timing right on, especially since you cannot adjust your clutch, is to actually preload the shifter handle when you are coming up on a shift. If you are going into 2nd or 4th pull on the handle and if going into third push on it. You'll feel resistance until the load comes off the transmission. If you do this, as soon as the clutch is depressed and the tranny unloads the shifter will snap out of gear and you'll be able to shove it into the next one. You'll be amazed how much this speeds up your shifts. With your car being supercharged, you stand to pick up significantly more than a N/A car by staying at WOT through the entire run. If you don't leave at WOT you won't be under full boost. Without a 2 step, I used to rev, rev, rev, rev...until the lights came down and then go flat on the floor and side step the clutch. It's hard to get a goot R/T but who cares:cool2:. Also by lifting on the shifts you are opening up the bypass valve and dumping all you manifold pressure. It'll pick up a ton and feel like an animal going into the next gear if you can do it under WOT. Even if you do not come completely off teh gas between shifts but also don't stay flat on the floor it will be an improvement over letting off the gas completely. In the end, if you want to go fast you really just cannot be worried about breaking it. Good luck, have fun.

Rich
05-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Even if you do not come completely off teh gas between shifts but also don't stay flat on the floor it will be an improvement over letting off the gas completely. In the end, if you want to go fast you really just cannot be worried about breaking it. Good luck, have fun.

Breakage can not be a factor if you want optimum ET...period. Seat time and track time is really the only way to improve.

Timido
05-18-2010, 08:22 PM
I would sugest you find somplace that rents 6cly 5spd mustangs that you can "Beat like they owe you money"

1986GT
05-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Step 4: drop clutch, while at the same time grabbing the next gear while holding gas matted to the floor
Step 5: release clutch
Step 6: repeat steps 1-5 till end of run.

Not an expert but I am pretty sure there is something odd about Step 6. LOL!

beefcake
05-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Not an expert but I am pretty sure there is something odd about Step 6. LOL!

repeat 3 and 4 lol i think is what it should be