Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Ford Focus SVT [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ford Focus SVT

pegasus
05-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Ford Focus SVT

any1 drive 1???

im looking @ 4 bangers for a gas saver dd

how do u like it

Stangman
05-06-2010, 02:50 PM
I work with a guy who drives one as a daily every day... I'll pick his brain and let you know.

KB1
05-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Facemelter71 (Andy) used to prep all the SVT's, PM him he knows a lot about them.

Kevin

Stangman
05-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I spoke to the guy I work with, he loves his, gets like 25-26 highway mpg, and he actually totalled one he used to have, went out and found its identical twin he liked the car soo much

94tchikinv8
05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
im looking @ 4 bangers for a gas saver dd

You feeling ok?

-Rob

pegasus
05-07-2010, 08:51 AM
You feeling ok?

-Rob

10 mpg sick

5.0calypso93lx
05-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I test drove one and wasn't a huge fan of them. Seating position was just really weird for me, I felt like I was sitting way up high. Either way, cars are great dails and I think look pretty cool for a focus.

Stangman
05-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Just needs a DOHC 4.6 between the fenders...

03z06vette
05-07-2010, 02:02 PM
they have shift cable problems, the clutch is around 600 for the parts only.

COOP
05-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I looked at them pretty heavy a few years ago (06) and ended up getting a mazda 3 hatch. Cheaper, same power (160hp) and I liked the interior way better. Still get decent MPG's too

thecollector
05-10-2010, 08:26 AM
I've got an 04 5 dr and its been awesome. Has 170 hp and has a good aftermarket following. They can be hard to find clean and unbeaten. I've got 80k on mine and haven't done a thing to it. www.focusfanatics.com was a good site I found after I picked up my car. Their are ussually decent ones for sale as well on their. The clutch cables were problems on earlier models as well as some valverain issues. Get an 03 or up. The clutch is pricey cause you have to change from dual mass to single mass flywheel. They are good dds. I checked out a lot of other cars and for the price mileage and condition this one wound up in my driveway.

Black92LX
05-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Find yourself an SVT Contour in good shape.

Ryan218
05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
my buddy has one. he loves it. we have taken a few little road trips in it. gets good milliage. not bad for a little 4 banger. still gets out of its own way. only down sides have already been said. minus one... wheel hop. clutch is expensive as shit. trans are great in them. iirc all gears in there are snycronized. love the seats in them very comfy. there cheap as hell right now too. ive seen them for as low as 3k with a tick over 100k. if i ever come across one like that when i have the money sitting around id probaly buy one.

5.0calypso93lx
07-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Did you ever end up buying one?

pegasus
07-22-2010, 04:35 PM
no not yet the search for a newsh (compared to my 91 t-bird) ride has cooled off for now, Im thinking I might just hold off till I see how much a eco-boost f150 will cost

5.0calypso93lx
07-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Ah ok, I'm going to look at one tomorrow and if it is what they say it is I'll be taking it home.

pegasus
07-22-2010, 04:50 PM
if they say anything about it being rare tell them you only need one and see what they say

5.0calypso93lx
07-22-2010, 04:57 PM
LOL :lol:

It actually is kinda rare though, it's an 04' Competition Orange 3 door with the EAP. Not sure if it has the winter package, they don't know a whole lot about it. From my research, there are only 127 others like it. Too bad it's still a focus :lol:

04 Venom
07-22-2010, 05:14 PM
I have a 2001 ZX-3 with the SVT suspension (but unfortunately not the 170 HP :(). It is my DD and is an excellent and reliable car. It handles great and you can really toss it in the corners. 28-30 MPG around town and 34-35 on the road.

thecollector
07-22-2010, 05:38 PM
The orange is very rare. Check the trans, they are strong, but can be pricey to rebuild/replace. I think most of these cars have been wrecked. When I was looking for one 90% othem had accident histories and 75% had been poorly repaired. Valvetrains are noisey at idle compared to other I-4's, as long as it doesn't get worse w/ rev's they are Okay.
I only see about 28 MPG average.
If the T-stat housing isn't leaking now it either did or will start soon. It is a cheap part at least.
Upper oil pan is part of the block skirt, lower pan is sheet metal, check the lower oil pan for rust. In this climate they are easy to rot, as are doors, hatches etc.

Good luck w/ purchase. Should be a fun DD.

thecollector
07-22-2010, 05:40 PM
I have a 2001 ZX-3 with the SVT suspension (but unfortunately not the 170 HP :(). It is my DD and is an excellent and reliable car. It handles great and you can really toss it in the corners. 28-30 MPG around town and 34-35 on the road.

Lurk on Focus Fanatics or focal Jet, you can ussually come across a cheap head if your patient. You would only be short one gear then. ;)

Johnny O
07-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Has anyone compared the SVT Focus to the Saleen Focus as far as price and performance?

5.0calypso93lx
07-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Has anyone compared the SVT Focus to the Saleen Focus as far as price and performance?

The saleen is just the zetec 2.0 not the svt motor with a 75 shot.

pegasus
07-22-2010, 07:38 PM
that thing got a hemi?

thecollector
07-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Saleens look a little too ricey for my taste, they are also outrageously priced.

Something I forgot is that the wheels on svt foci get bent easily. Make sure you get to 80mph or so on the roadtest.

04 Venom
07-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Lurk on Focus Fanatics or focal Jet, you can ussually come across a cheap head if your patient. You would only be short one gear then. ;)

Wouldn't I also need the ECU for the SVT engine?

5.0calypso93lx
07-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Saleens look a little too ricey for my taste, they are also outrageously priced.

Something I forgot is that the wheels on svt foci get bent easily. Make sure you get to 80mph or so on the roadtest.

It's got the multi spoke Euro wheels since it's got the EAP. Same issue with them as well?

pegasus
07-23-2010, 10:01 AM
It's got the multi spoke Euro wheels since it's got the EAP. Same issue with them as well?

:postpix:

thecollector
07-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Wouldn't I also need the ECU for the SVT engine?

Not really sure, Tom from Focus fanatics would be the person to talk to. He builds engines and can ussually reflash the stock processors for most any NA combo from his experience. I don't know of one person unhappy with his service and he's CHEAP. I personelly don't know if you could or not but tom could tell you for sure. FRPP offered a Hi-Po head of sorts for while that would bolt up to Zetec blocks. I want to say it was close to $1,000 new complete. Not sure if its still in the catalog, I know the wheels, suspension and F/R bumpers are. The dyno numbers guys were getting were pretty close to SVT motors.

Its funny, I picked up a 5dr DD and somehow got sucked into the 4cyl. crowd. You won't catch me at a ricer car show, nor do I show my car off at cruise-ins, but it's fun to get online and watch guys do a build w/ a 300-400hp sleeper focus, or better yet swap a 8.2 decked windsor in em and go for broke. FRPP also offered engine mounts to do a small windsor swap around 05-06 but never an off the shelf axle mounting option.

thecollector
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM

The 5 spoke's are prolific, they are also the priciest for reasons unbeknownst to me. You would think larger availability would lower price but thats not the case.

The EAP wheels are about $140 new, for black instead of silver add $20 or so.

The 6 spoke argents are a tad over $130.

The 5 spokes are $170:eek:

The 5 spokes seem to bend the easiest but its hard to tell because there are far more sets of them on the road. Not many people complain about the EAP wheels getting bent but ive seen it before. I don't know why it is, maybe to much backspacing from the wheel flange?

All 1st gen and 2nd gen Foci carry a lot of road noise in the interior of the cabin, not sure why its just a trait/flaw. If it is accompanied by a vibration the car will need wheel bearings or rims. Mine has a shimmy from about 65-75 due to a slightly bent rim.

Get a purchase prospect on the highway at high speeds prior to making an offer and never buy a set of used wheels unless you can check them on a balancer first.

After purchase avoid pot holes and speed bumps at high speeds.

04 Venom
07-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Not really sure, Tom from Focus fanatics would be the person to talk to. He builds engines and can ussually reflash the stock processors for most any NA combo from his experience. I don't know of one person unhappy with his service and he's CHEAP. I personelly don't know if you could or not but tom could tell you for sure. FRPP offered a Hi-Po head of sorts for while that would bolt up to Zetec blocks. I want to say it was close to $1,000 new complete. Not sure if its still in the catalog, I know the wheels, suspension and F/R bumpers are. The dyno numbers guys were getting were pretty close to SVT motors.

Its funny, I picked up a 5dr DD and somehow got sucked into the 4cyl. crowd. You won't catch me at a ricer car show, nor do I show my car off at cruise-ins, but it's fun to get online and watch guys do a build w/ a 300-400hp sleeper focus, or better yet swap a 8.2 decked windsor in em and go for broke. FRPP also offered engine mounts to do a small windsor swap around 05-06 but never an off the shelf axle mounting option.

Thanks. :bigthumb

thecollector
07-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Ah ok, I'm going to look at one tomorrow and if it is what they say it is I'll be taking it home.

Did you pick that one up above Dayton???