Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Project Dark Horse [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Project Dark Horse

94tchikinv8
05-04-2010, 01:12 AM
I got this 98 GT convertible back in January. I'm going to school in Missouri so I haven't done much to it until I came back on break. My brother installed my MGW shifter on it before I came home to pick up the car. Unfortunately, the car had an NPI Dorman intake on it when I got it as it's very first mod.:rolleyes:

The first pics are from April 2 after my brother and I raced at Edgewater. My best ET that night was 15.431 to his 15.437. Too bad my RT sucked and he got the win light...next time, right?

Anyways, my car is SLOW! Slower than I thought it would be actually. I'm sure a working tach would help quite a bit though, just so I can get some good consistent shift points down.

-Rob

94tchikinv8
05-04-2010, 01:29 AM
So, while I was in school, I accumulated a few parts to put on it when I got home, namely PI cams and a PI intake. I already had a set of U/D pulleys laying around for my 94 Thunderbird that is currently still in pieces for paint. It's not using them; and won't anytime soon, so those made it on the install list. I also picked up an H-pipe on SBZ. I figured the above would give me at least a solid mid 14 second ride. Sweet!

All was well when I got home from break and we started the tear-down so I could install the goodies. Then my friend Matt let the timing chain slip when we were trying to install the cams and the ratcheting tensioner tightened. Now I would have to pull the timing cover for sure, and spend $$ on gaskets that I would have to order and wait days to get. What to do? Oh yeah, I happen to have an 02 Explorer PI engine (aluminum block) with comp 262 cams sitting in the garage at home waiting for the Thunderbird to be done. I can just bolt in that bad boy and get it tuned for less than I'd spend in gaskets. Since I was going to install all these other parts and now would have to remove the accessories, I'm already 3/4 of the way to having the engine out, plus the clutch feels like it's getting a little weak and I happen to have an 11" ram clutch and Fidanza billet steel flywheel sitting in my basement. Needless to say, it wasn't very hard to convince myself to pull the engine out of my perfectly running daily driver and swap it.

I'm sure you guys see where this is going...

-Rob

94tchikinv8
05-04-2010, 02:02 AM
As you guys can see from the pics, the engine swap was on...

All was well finishing up the swap until I called up Jeff at Precision Autosports. Apparently SCT decided to discontinue supporting the Xcal 1 altogether and I need another device to tune the car. This costs a LOT more than a few gaskets, and I am PISSED!!! I only bought the thing 4 or 5 years ago, and actually debated and spent the extra $$ for the flash device instead of the chip because it was supposed to be the new thing that everyone was going to. Had I cheaped out and gone with the chip in the first place, Jeff still could have still tuned it, no problem. Anyways, I won't go into full on rant mode, but as far as I'm concerned SCT can get bent, and the ONLY reason, and I mean only, I have a new SCT chip in my car now is because Precision doesn't deal with Diablo or any other devices, and he cut me a little bit of a break on the price.

So, it took me a few days (working slow and too much beer), but the car is finally back together and running well with the cammed Explorer engine. It put down 253 HP and 285 Lb-ft. torque on Precision's Dynojet, STD corrected. I will try to get a graph up later, along with some updated pictures after I completed the swap.

Just out of curiosity, I weighed the car on a truck scale today. 3360 lbs without me in it. Lighter than I thought it was.:cool2:

I will post up some times soon. I plan on going up to Kil-Kare on Thursday. The next mod is definitely going to be a set of gears. Stock 2.73s and a worn out trac-lok suck for racing.

I'll try to get some more pics of the car and stuff and keep this updated. Mods to the car will be far and few between once I start school again May 11.

-Rob

draggin50
05-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Damn looks like you got a mess goin on!!! Good luck with it and Im sure it will be well worth it in the end. Good looking car by the way.

94tchikinv8
05-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Damn looks like you got a mess goin on!!! Good luck with it and Im sure it will be well worth it in the end. Good looking car by the way.

Thanks man! Got the mess all cleaned up, I just have to drive back over to the shop to pick up the old motor. I got an underhood pic and some other shots before it got dark. I traded for a set of chrome bullitts today, so I had to out those on too. I can't wait until Kil-Kare tomorrow night!

-Rob

94tchikinv8
10-29-2010, 08:54 PM
I never did update this. Anyways, I've added an SLP catback since the last posts I made. It sounds pretty good now at least. Unfortunately I'm still running the stock gears and worn out trac-lok. I let my brother drive it at the SC shootout on October 2 at Kil-Kare. The new best for the car is 13.89 @ 100.81 mph. There is plenty left in it, the 60 foot was only 2.17.

-Rob