Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Music review for you metal heads [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music review for you metal heads

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I just picked up an album by an Australian band called Parkway Drive. I suppose you would have to classify them under some "metalcore" genre since they play too many harmonies and a few leads to qualify as a true hardcore band and they're a step above just metal or rock. But, if you can get down to something like Hatebreed or Killswitch Engage, then you need to check out their stuff. They have 2 full length albums, the first one called Killing With A Smile and their latest called Horizons. I bought Horizons and was so impressed i've got the first one on order already. It came out in '07 but somehow i missed this band. They have a new album due out June-July this year. If you hit up Best Buy you can pick up Horizons for $14 and it comes with a documentary DVD about how they got their start, which will make you respect this band because they did all the touring and promotion completely on their own in the beginning...didn't even have a record contract and for a year on tour they slept outside in sleeping bags because they couldn't afford hotels. My favorite part about this band is they're not a bunch of emo makeup wearing idiots...they're just 5 dudes from Australia who love to surf and play metal.

Here's a song off of Horizons..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUqfe_3QO60

damn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aekRgV9PFv0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HEUUBK-KGE

I give'em :bigthumb:bigthumb

Foxxx5oh
04-29-2010, 05:14 PM
parkway drive is amazing, i have Killing With a Smile, which i coulda swore came out in 05, but either way, AMAZING cd, especially the song Smoke Em if ya got em

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-29-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm still shocked i had never heard of this band until now. I need to get out more.

Foxxx5oh
04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
you should also check out Sonic Syndicate, American Head Charge, In Flames, and also Dimmu Borgir if you havent heard of em already :)

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I've had lots of In Flames, heard of the rest but haven't really listened to them. For the last 2 years i've basically been stuck in a Between The Buried And Me / Amon Amarth rut and haven't wanted to listen to much else. I did get the new Bury Your Dead album which is fantastic.

Once you really really listen to Between The Buried And Me, and you can actually follow and comprehend what they're playing....everything else sounds like it's in slow motion and boring.

Foxxx5oh
04-29-2010, 05:33 PM
i would check those bands out, also, got the new Bullet for my Valentine CD a couple days ago, its their best yet!

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Doesn't Mike Patton sing for Dimmu Borgir? The same Mike Patton from Faith No More?

Foxxx5oh
04-29-2010, 05:45 PM
lol no, they are Norweigan

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-29-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm thinking of Mr. Bungle...lol

BigBadStang
04-30-2010, 07:41 AM
i was getting into it until Cookie Monster started to si...I mean growl.
I don't get it, I must be getting old. When was the law passed where you have to fuck up good riffs with that god awful growling shit? Is that what is required to be considered 'Metal' now? I wish true Thrash Metal would come back and kick this growling shit to the curb.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-30-2010, 07:53 AM
i was getting into it until Cookie Monster started to si...I mean growl.
I don't get it, I must be getting old. When was the law passed where you have to fuck up good riffs with that god awful growling shit? Is that what is required to be considered 'Metal' now? I wish true Thrash Metal would come back and kick this growling shit to the curb.

It's an acquired taste man...nothing more. And i will say this...there's a lot more talent to it than just screaming or yelling...there's crappy cookie monster and good cookie monster, and it takes real talent to be able to pull that off live for an hour set without losing your voice. Just because the vocals are harsh doesn't mean you're not hitting the same notes that a "singer" hits...they're just hit with a much different tone.

LOL by the way, back in the day i'm sure a group of people just like you where listening to Slayer and saying "man why does this awesome music have to be ruined by this guy's high pitched squealing" :lol:

BigBadStang
05-01-2010, 02:04 AM
It's an acquired taste man...nothing more. And i will say this...there's a lot more talent to it than just screaming or yelling...there's crappy cookie monster and good cookie monster, and it takes real talent to be able to pull that off live for an hour set without losing your voice. Just because the vocals are harsh doesn't mean you're not hitting the same notes that a "singer" hits...they're just hit with a much different tone.

LOL by the way, back in the day i'm sure a group of people just like you where listening to Slayer and saying "man why does this awesome music have to be ruined by this guy's high pitched squealing" :lol:

I'll have to take your word for it man...I just can't get past the growling. It makes me laugh most of the time. I remember when they first started that shit, and it was called Death Metal...:lol:...they called it that because you would DIE laughing!:lol:

As for Slayer, they went to shit too. Those albums they put out sometime after Seasons in the Abyss were so GD fast, Tom Araya could barely get the damn lyrics out. The old stuff, granted Tom did squeal at times, but it wasn't him squealing every friggin word of every friggin song. ;)

I'll keep trying to listen and 'acquire the taste'..."C is for cookie, that's good enough for me..." LMFAO!!!!

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-01-2010, 07:31 AM
I got into listening to it because a lot of the bands can play some crazy good music...so i would listen to it and just ignore the lyrics and vocals. The more you listen to it, the easier it is to understand and it grows on ya. Even still the majority of them sound like crap but there are some select bands that can pull off both kinds of singing.