Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Opinions needed [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

Pitbull1052
04-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm getting ready to put a fiber glass cowl hood on my car and am considering hood pins, just looking for opinions on what looks best I'm not really looking for that old school chrome then rust look with the cables hanging out and all........ it's on a white car too dunno if that matters... thanks for the opinions in advance.....

B

jlt2006
04-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Obviously you only want opinions from people that know you.

What car are you putting the hood pins on?

beefcake
04-20-2010, 11:57 AM
go with something like this, they work great

http://www.venommotorsports.com/images/library/HoodPinSparco.jpg

Pitbull1052
04-20-2010, 11:57 AM
it's going on a 1991 white LX I'm doin a 3" hardwood cowl....... I'm thinking these or something like them but they are a lil pricey.......

http://www.deftracing.com/aerocatch_hood_pins/index.htm

Pitbull1052
04-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Those look pretty good Beef hmmm bet I could coat them white too so they are that noticable

beefcake
04-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Those look pretty good Beef hmmm bet I could coat them white too so they are that noticable

probably get them colored, i've seen black and chrome and stainless for sure

Pitbull1052
04-20-2010, 12:34 PM
probably get them colored, i've seen black and chrome and stainless for sure

kewl where did you find those? and they are prolly a lot easier to install than the one's i was thinking

4EYED85GT
04-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Whats the reason for wanting to go with pin on instead of hinge mounted one? Just wandering as I would like to get a cowl hood in the future. Was told that HO Fibertrends made a great quality hood.

Foxxx5oh
04-20-2010, 06:45 PM
the pins are for added security, the fiberglass hoods catch on fiberglass instead of metal like the stock hoods do, so it may hinge on, but the pins keep it where it needs to be :)

Pitbull1052
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
the pins are for added security, the fiberglass hoods catch on fiberglass instead of metal like the stock hoods do, so it may hinge on, but the pins keep it where it needs to be :)

well said!!!!!! That's the basic reason I mean just look at Mustangs for sale some time and see how many you find that say it has a bent cowl and a few dents on the roof where the hood flew up or the windsheild is crack... I'm gonig to bolt it on but like Foxxxx said for added security really

cstreu1026
04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
it's going on a 1991 white LX I'm doin a 3" hardwood cowl....... I'm thinking these or something like them but they are a lil pricey.......

http://www.deftracing.com/aerocatch_hood_pins/index.htm

05YellowGT has a set of those and they are pretty cool.

BlazinEagle
04-21-2010, 09:37 AM
My buddy also has the aerocatch and they are sweet. Here they are...the car is with plated right now getting painted.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd250/blazin_eagle/016-1.jpg

Pitbull1052
04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
wonder how much cutting you have to do to install????

Blackpony
04-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Whats the reason for wanting to go with pin on instead of hinge mounted one? Just wandering as I would like to get a cowl hood in the future. Was told that HO Fibertrends made a great quality hood.

My hood scares me when i'm on the highway. I always wonder if it's gonna swing open on me

5.0calypso93lx
04-21-2010, 12:37 PM
My buddy also has the aerocatch and they are sweet. Here they are...the car is with plated right now getting painted.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd250/blazin_eagle/016-1.jpg

Whoa, that looks familiar! Didn't know you guys got it installed.

Pitbull, I'm getting the aerocatch hood pins again for my new hood, but this time, I'm working with the hood manufacturer to get the hood pins installed before the bottom layer is molded to the upper layer of the hood.

If you look at the bottom of that hood posted, I had to cut out quite a big section of material and had to cut out where the screws came through the bottom of the hood so I could get the nylock nuts on. I had pics in my old build thread but I lost them due to Tagworld no longer hosting pics.

They're fairly straightforward to install and are by far the best looking and functioning hood pins out there in my opinion, but the bottom of the hood will look like shit if you don't have them put on before the two layers of the hood are molded together.

I think they would look great on your car as you have the black body moldings too.

Thankfully, Boss Inc is local and I've already contacted them about this. They've been great to work with in the past and have already said they'd work with me on this little idea as well. This is the hood I'm running so I can clear the windsor and intake setup:

http://www.bossincstyle.com/blue87procowl1.jpg

Pitbull1052
04-21-2010, 01:18 PM
I thought that looked like your hood but I wasnt sure I knew you had those locks though. Yea I've got a used Hardwood 2 1/2" and I was just thinking about what pins I'd use I really didnt want the old kind that rusts and have the cables on them....... so it wasnt too bad then?

5.0calypso93lx
04-21-2010, 01:32 PM
I thought that looked like your hood but I wasnt sure I knew you had those locks though. Yea I've got a used Hardwood 2 1/2" and I was just thinking about what pins I'd use I really didnt want the old kind that rusts and have the cables on them....... so it wasnt too bad then?

Is that a fiberglass hood?

Nah, the install wasn't bad at all. I taped the whole area down where I was cutting so the glass wouldn't fray on me.

Let me know if you need a hand, it's pretty simple. Just kinda looks crappy on the bottom.

And yea, this is the only hood pins I have ever seen that I liked. I can't stand any other type of hood pin, no offense to anyone.

Pitbull1052
04-21-2010, 01:49 PM
yes sir it's a glass hood..... I'll have to take u up on that offer, I really don't either I don't mind those one's that beef posted up but I think If I do those im gonna powder coat them white.......

5.0calypso93lx
04-21-2010, 03:06 PM
See, I think they would look bad ass if you left them black to go with the black moldings your car has. You'll need a dremel, some masking tape and a drill for the install.

Pitbull1052
04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
oh no I meant if I do the metal one's I'll coat them if I got these i'd leave them black or get the carbon fiber one's, I don't have a dremel but I could borrow one from my dad I think, wonder if there is anything you can do for the underside to keep it better looking???

BlazinEagle
04-21-2010, 10:50 PM
james did you find the keys ???

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-22-2010, 07:32 AM
There's something about the aerolatch's that i just don't like...can't quite put my finger on it. I think the ones Beef posted are perfect, or go with something like Kenny has...those are nice but the key locks would get on my nerves eventually. I'd go with what Beef posted and have them powder coated white to match the hood. That'll look nice and clean.

Pitbull1052
04-22-2010, 09:50 AM
There's something about the aerolatch's that i just don't like...can't quite put my finger on it. I think the ones Beef posted are perfect, or go with something like Kenny has...those are nice but the key locks would get on my nerves eventually. I'd go with what Beef posted and have them powder coated white to match the hood. That'll look nice and clean.

That's what I was thinking too and I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle all the cutting for those arerolatch's

5.0calypso93lx
04-23-2010, 10:33 AM
james did you find the keys ???

Sorry Rodney, I don't know where they are.

OP, I've got a dremel if you need to borrow. Just lemme know when you wanna do it.

Pitbull1052
04-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Sorry Rodney, I don't know where they are.

OP, I've got a dremel if you need to borrow. Just lemme know when you wanna do it.

kewl thanks I appreciate it, i'm not sure when it's going to be finished at the paint shop I'm pretty sure there was a car or two ahead of me but for sure i'll get with you thanks bro