Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Spring Compressor!?!?! [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spring Compressor!?!?!

INSANEBA
04-14-2010, 10:55 AM
So I'm trying to get my UPR drag springs in the front of my car and cant get the correct spring compressor to do it! Anyone close to Lima have one I could borrow for a couple hours to get it together? I've got it all torn apart waiting on a compressor to finish slapping the new springs in:confused: I'm tryin to hemm up the suspension so I can get the dope on it and get it to Kilkare soon...

inferno50
04-14-2010, 10:50 PM
looks like im going to have the same problem. i did my rear but not the front yet.

Jeff88coupe
04-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Best way I've found to install stock style drag springs is to use a spring compressor to compress them. Then band them using steel banding strap that shipping docks use to strap stuff to pallets. I put 3 or 4 bands on each spring.....then undo the compressor so the bands hold it. Put the springs in...bolt everything back in place...then cut the bands off the springs and pull them out. No fighting to get them to fit...took me less than a hour to do both sides when I swapped to drag springs on my car using this method.

bobtsgt
04-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Jeff's way is a good way to do them. Lowering springs aren't that bad but the ones you are doing can be a pain. Find a buddy to band them down and it will save you the hassle and time. I've done a couple like this on other buddies cars.

inferno50
04-15-2010, 10:00 PM
i have done the back of my car with these springs and at the same time i put the upr tube control arms and now my car feels like jello in the back end. wtf. havent had a chance to do the front yet. what about using large hose clamps and an air ratchet to tighten and loosen them. i have done that when changing struts with the spring on them.

duststang
04-16-2010, 07:22 AM
I have used really big zip ties about four of them

INSANEBA
04-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Best way I've found to install stock style drag springs is to use a spring compressor to compress them. Then band them using steel banding strap that shipping docks use to strap stuff to pallets. I put 3 or 4 bands on each spring.....then undo the compressor so the bands hold it. Put the springs in...bolt everything back in place...then cut the bands off the springs and pull them out. No fighting to get them to fit...took me less than a hour to do both sides when I swapped to drag springs on my car using this method.

Thats what I've been thinking the last 2 days, I actually went and got a compressor that goes through the middle of the spring, and it compressed them enough to go in the car but the hole in the lca isint big enough to let the compressor drop out of it! I'm goin to Fastnotches work to band these today... Thanks again Jeff, you've been such a big help for me on building this car! I owe you a few beers sometime!

INSANEBA
04-16-2010, 09:14 AM
i have done the back of my car with these springs and at the same time i put the upr tube control arms and now my car feels like jello in the back end. wtf. havent had a chance to do the front yet. what about using large hose clamps and an air ratchet to tighten and loosen them. i have done that when changing struts with the spring on them.

My rears have been in for about a month now, and it doesent feel like that, I did just put strange shocks back there too but it's on 28x10 BFG DR's with 18lbs in them and it drives fine in the rear. Boy it drops when you hamer on it though lol...

Jeff88coupe
04-16-2010, 10:33 AM
No problem. Ya..drag springs ride pretty "soft" on the street.

INSANEBA
04-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Well I was doing some more thinking, and theres one more kind of compressor I havent tried. It is a scisssor type compressor that goes in from the wheel well and compresses the spring. I'm goint to look at one today, if it looks right I'm gonna buy it!

INSANEBA
04-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Got the car back on the ground today! I bought a spring compressor from Harbor Freight for $40, that actually goes on the outside of the spring. It worked like a charm, was a lil tough getting it out of the spring after it was together but atleast it's done!!!!!