Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
What needs to be done to transfer a car into Ohio?? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What needs to be done to transfer a car into Ohio??

Black92LX
04-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I think I have a buyer for the Mustang that is in Ohio I am in KY.
The title is clear and he has cash. Do we both just need to sign the title and he take it to the clerks office to get an Ohio title?

Do I need to do anything after I sign the title?

306Power
04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
If it's anything like transferring a car from OH to KY, he will have to have the sheriff inspect the VIN number and make sure it doesn't come back as stolen or it doesn't show any mileage discrepancy. Usually only cost about 15 bucks around here and takes 5 minutes. Just get the title notarized obviously and everything else is about the same as selling in KY IIRC.

Gene
04-12-2010, 10:58 AM
All the new owner has to do is have a title inspection done, which can be done at the Title Office or most car dealerships. Then it's just like transferring a normal title.

GREAZY
04-12-2010, 11:12 AM
You will need an out of state inspection, can be done at most car lots or at the DMV office.

INSANEBA
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
You will need an out of state inspection, can be done at most car lots or at the DMV office.

What he said, get the paperwork in order and go to a bmv and tell them you need an out of state. They will come out and make sure the vin on the title matches the car and then charge you $3 for a little peice of paper to take back in to the title dept. to get the new title made. Sounds like more of an ordeal than it actually is...

chris91
04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Yep, just an out of state inspection is needed. Just had this done with the Mark VII I bought a couple weeks ago. They dont even check the mileage anymore. Just the VIN. 3 bucks and youre done.

All you need to do as a seller is have the title notarized and collect your money.

Black92LX
04-12-2010, 01:00 PM
So I don't have to do anything other than signing the title and getting my money?
As he is from Northern Ohio and we are meeting in Dayton want to make sure I don't have to go with him to get the title transfered.

chris91
04-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Nope you dont have to go to the BMV with him. Just go into any bank and tell them you need the title notarized for sale.

k062693w
04-12-2010, 01:21 PM
So I don't have to do anything other than signing the title and getting my money?
As he is from Northern Ohio and we are meeting in Dayton want to make sure I don't have to go with him to get the title transfered.

And Notorized !!! :bigthumb

PKFIRE
04-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Go get it notorized, you do not have to have him there. The guy can sit on the title and it will be in your name until he attemps to get tags or title transfered over. So when you get it notorized and to him it should be completely off your hands.

BTW not that it probably matters a notary has a date of issue. So make sure he or she gets the title transfered over while the notary is date is still effective. Not your problem but could be his or hers.

bestracing
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree with the notorized title and then he just needs to have a title check done. I would also get a notorized bill of sale. That way he has paperwork that he just bought the vehicle (in case he gets pulled over) and you have proff of sale incase the DMV asks for something like that (see below).

One thing no one else mentioned is you need to keep your plates and then turn them into the county DMV and tell them you sold the vehicle. This keeps you from getting charged taxes for next year if he doesn't transfer the title right away. I had a dealer not transfer a title and come Jan 1 I got charged another years worth of taxes on a vehicle that I didn't own any more. The above is what they told me to do. My wife eventually got the dealer to pay the bill but if you sell to a private buyer, there's no telling what could happen.