Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
SUPERVISOR!!! [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SUPERVISOR!!!

heyitsmepugsley
04-07-2010, 03:52 PM
well my boss just called me and said.." you know theres a supervisor position available" i said yeah.. he says"well if your intrested i want you to fill that stop imediately." sooo i justa wanted to let everybody know im super pumped right now...lol

03z06vette
04-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Get ready to deal with ass holes that are lazy...... BTW congrats!!!

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-07-2010, 05:26 PM
LOL get ready to be on the other end of everything that you've ever been pissed off about getting yelled at for. It's a whole different world being on the other end.

cstreu1026
04-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Hopefully it came with a raise as well.

plated
04-07-2010, 05:41 PM
i'll check back in the rant section in a few weeks:lol: have fun wit that and good luck

redfirepearlgt
04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
well my boss just called me and said.." you know theres a supervisor position available" i said yeah.. he says"well if your intrested i want you to fill that stop imediately." sooo i justa wanted to let everybody know im super pumped right now...lol

That's great, but don't think I'm gonna start callin' you Sir!!! LOL!!!!!!

Congratulations Chris!!!! Come down and hang with us Saturday at the Red Robin @ noon. It's in Florence next to Hooters!!!! Lookin like a decent turnout is shaping up. Chad

heyitsmepugsley
04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
yeah it came with a 2 dollar raise. but yeah im going to do my best at keeping everyone busy without being a dickk. lol

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-07-2010, 06:17 PM
You just have to make them understand...everybody has a job. Your job is now to tell them what to do. Their job is to do it. It's that simple. That doesn't make you a dick. People need to understand their place and roll in a job and then it's all good. Also remember where you came from and don't be the lazy boss who just barks orders and screws off all day. That'll get you no respect.

Yellow98Cobra
04-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Just remember, you're there to do a job not make/keep friends.

draggin50
04-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Thats great man! Now you can start spending some of that extra cash!!!

penceracing
04-07-2010, 07:21 PM
congrants man

djom1cincy
04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
What kind of work are you involved in? Also come down to the cruise saturday. You can buy lunch with the extra cash your going to earn

03z06vette
04-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Just remember, you're there to do a job not make/keep friends.

Friends dont pay your rent!!

Squale iii
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Get prepared to a.) Have tons of people coming to cry to you about how so and so is doing this, and that, and how unfair it is. b.) Be ready to have people start talking mad shit about you. c.) You have to draw a line between "friends" and "subordinates"... It makes disciplines/counsellings much easier if you don't treat them as your equals all the time. You're just doing your job, and if they have a problem with it, they can find a new job. Simple as that. And at the end, you do your job, or else they will replace you with someone who will do what you're not.

if you can't tell, i hate entry level managment. You're just high enough on the ladder to have everybody bitching to you, and you're not quite high enough to make any decisions/differences in the department. You have managers telling you what is expected of your subordinates, and yet you realize some of the expectations they have for your workers are impossible for them to complete. You get fucked from both sides, enjoy! :)

blown86lx
04-07-2010, 09:39 PM
:agree:I got a supervisors job at the Scotts plant in marysville. I'm only 25, I took some managment classes in college so when it came up I was pumped.I have found out that I am just high up enough I have to take shit from line operators and also the plant manager so you get the shit from both ends. I also have a couple of friends who work for me and they know that in the plant I am there boss no matter what happens and as soon as we leave the door we can be friends again.Just my .02 make sure you're friends know up front that its you're job is to make sure they are doing there job and doing it right.If they dont like it tough shit.Overall I think you will like it, I wouldnt go back to running a line unless I had no choice. Good luck

Squale iii
04-07-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm 25 too, been doing the whole supervisor thing for over 2 years. If it wasn't for the difference in pay, I'd rather be a subordinate. I'm just not the confrontational type of person. I'd rather come in, do a job, and go home. That's why I really am starting to enjoy my side work (landscaping, painting, odd jobs). Working by yourself is the shit! Management isn't all it's cracked up to be. I spent 4 years at Miami University and took a bunch of management/accounting/finance classes...for what? To babysit a bunch of 40-50 year olds who want to cry all day and avoid doing any real work? LOL. I'm starting nursing school this fall. Upon getting my RN I will be working 3 days a week, making 20k more per year, and only be responsible for myself and a few patients each day. Can't beat that. I'd much rather take care of people and draw their blood, take their vitals, give injections, hang iv fluids, do charting...much more fun and satisfying if you ask me.

mwaller5672
04-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Wow-I bet he feels good about his promotion. It will be a challenge and rewarding. Congrats and good luck.

Squale iii
04-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Wow-I bet he feels good about his promotion. It will be a challenge and rewarding. Congrats and good luck.

I'm not telling him anything that's not true. I am responsible for anywhere from 30-40 people each day. I do all scheduling, approve/deny all PTO requests, perform all counsellings/write-ups/terminations, roundings, schedule training/cross-training. I'm not a veteran, but I can tell you it's alot of work. Hopefully you're paid hourly and not salary...

Squale iii
04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
but yes..the extra few bux an hour is nice. Whether or not is worth the extra headache is debatable however LOL.

mwaller5672
04-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Right and you must enjoy what you do. Theres only 2 reasons you do it. Money or you like it. I'm in condition based maintenance. Any problem that comes up be it a 550 meggawatt turbine or a pump or vibration comes to me. I collect tons of data and decide where the problem is. Vibration is my favorite part. There is a lot of thermo and math involved. It's fun. It does bug me when a 90,000 a year manager says " should we run it " or this is the great one. """" how long will it last """""I was going to retire this year but decided to stay because I like my job.

cobrajoe
04-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Congrats! I'm waiting to hear on a position also. It'll be nice to get back to what I was making before they cut all the overtime (that by the way they said was the reason we never got a COLA raise, "Hey you have it built in" ) You could literally work all you wanted! Heck I bet I was not asked half dozen time last year compared to 90 to 100 times a year!

Squale iii
04-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Right and you must enjoy what you do. Theres only 2 reasons you do it. Money or you like it. I'm in condition based maintenance. Any problem that comes up be it a 550 meggawatt turbine or a pump or vibration comes to me. I collect tons of data and decide where the problem is. Vibration is my favorite part. There is a lot of thermo and math involved. It's fun. It does bug me when a 90,000 a year manager says " should we run it " or this is the great one. """" how long will it last """""I was going to retire this year but decided to stay because I like my job.

I am looking forward to nursing. I used to draw blood, do EKGs, and transport patients. Patient care is fun, challenging, and rewarding. The Occupational Outlook Handbook estimates the demand for nursing to be increasing by 20% over the next decade, so that's a definite plus. Not to mention alot of current nurses are older and will be retiring. All that, and a starting wage of around 52k/year with full benefits...definitely more attractive than getting your ass mentally beat down day in day out for a measley 32-35k/year at a job you literally dread going to each day. I plan on working ICU for a year asap, and then applying for nurseanethesist schooling. They start out at 122k/yr and cap out around 165k/year in our zip code. That or I'll go the management/director route with my business bachelors....however we already know how much I love management LOL.

02mingryGT
04-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I agree with a lot of the stuff that's on here. Congrats on your new position. You will find that one form of management doesn't fit all. You will have to use a little psychology to motivate certain employees. You can be "friendly" with your employees but not friends. And as far as upper management is concerned you always make them make the call, in writing if possible. Also make sure they understand your position if there is a disagreement on action to take. Just say something along the lines of :

Boss: We need to do this to increase production, promote safety, blah blah blah.....

You: We'll do whatever needs to be done but I think we should take into account this blah blah blah but it's your call. Eventually depending how your upper management is they'll just leave the decisions up to you if you are proven right over time.

Squale iii
04-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I agree with a lot of the stuff that's on here. Congrats on your new position. You will find that one form of management doesn't fit all. You will have to use a little psychology to motivate certain employees. You can be "friendly" with your employees but not friends. And as far as upper management is concerned you always make them make the call, in writing if possible. Also make sure they understand your position if there is a disagreement on action to take. Just say something along the lines of :

Boss: We need to do this to increase production, promote safety, blah blah blah.....

You: We'll do whatever needs to be done but I think we should take into account this blah blah blah but it's your call. Eventually depending how your upper management is they'll just leave the decisions up to you if you are proven right over time.

+1 on psychology. There are always people you have to convince to work. Sometimes I have to remind people that "it is your job to do XYZ" or "be greatful you have a job. Sure, it's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's a job and it pays the bills." I work with people and their unique circumstances.. b/c if I don't I'll have a bunch of vacancies and it makes it much harder for me to do my job when I don't have the staff to fill the positions.

On the same token, they work for me, I don't work for them. I'm willing to help someone out (go the extra mile) who has proven themselves or rarely asks for favors...but if you don't have a track record here, or have a tendency to be "needy" all the time asking for favors , you can forget it. Don't get caught up in bending over backwards for your employees...B/c once they see that they will work you and use you more and more and more if you let them. You have to draw the line, or you will literally get worked to death. I learned that the hard way. You can't make everybody happy.

BigBadStang
04-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Friends dont pay your rent!!

They don't kick your ass and destroy your shit in the parking lot either.
MOST of the time, you don't have to be dick...unless you are just a dick by nature and enjoy it.

02mingryGT
04-09-2010, 03:01 PM
+1 on psychology. There are always people you have to convince to work. Sometimes I have to remind people that "it is your job to do XYZ" or "be greatful you have a job. Sure, it's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's a job and it pays the bills." I work with people and their unique circumstances.. b/c if I don't I'll have a bunch of vacancies and it makes it much harder for me to do my job when I don't have the staff to fill the positions.

On the same token, they work for me, I don't work for them. I'm willing to help someone out (go the extra mile) who has proven themselves or rarely asks for favors...but if you don't have a track record here, or have a tendency to be "needy" all the time asking for favors , you can forget it. Don't get caught up in bending over backwards for your employees...B/c once they see that they will work you and use you more and more and more if you let them. You have to draw the line, or you will literally get worked to death. I learned that the hard way. You can't make everybody happy.

+1 on all of that. I work in a union shop so I don't have any incentive as far as money to offer for a good worker. So I just stand around and irritate those who don't want to do their job until they figure out it's better to just do it and STFU.