Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
bicycle shops?? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : bicycle shops??

Stangman
03-25-2010, 12:18 PM
I've got a mountain bike in need of some serious work (all new cables, brakes, shifter stuff, gears readjusted so I can actually SHIFT into ALL of them... you name it). The rest of the bike is perfect and I've had it for years... Cant see going and getting a new bike and taking up more room!

Anyone work on bikes or know a good bike shop I can take it to? And CHEAP!!?

This bicycle crap is beyond me... I can work on a mustang but my bike just pisses me off :lol:

cstreu1026
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
This is the place I use.
http://kgbikes.com/

Pitbull1052
03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
funny how we can work on complicated things motors etc but not a bike..... sorry Jesse that's too funny, I would go to that place on beechmont that A frame place by gold start before 8 mile

Markcore
03-25-2010, 12:48 PM
www.tippcyclery.com

937-667-5009

Ask for Ezio

Stangman
03-25-2010, 12:57 PM
funny how we can work on complicated things motors etc but not a bike..... sorry Jesse that's too funny, I would go to that place on beechmont that A frame place by gold start before 8 mile

Dude! I'm tellin ya! I go for a short ride and bring 2 screw drivers, and a pair of plyers to make adjustments... and no matter what I do it gets worse and worse!!! So I took it up to Indy with me last year when I met Steves LX there for Pinks all out, and then a big rain hit when we got back and I accidentally left it outside at his house and thats when I started having big problems... like no gears at all cuz the cables are shot!! I just said Eff it someone else can deal with it... the darn cables are routed thru the frame so I aint gettin into that!!

big cheif
03-25-2010, 01:21 PM
montgomery cycle on beechmont is the a-frame place. they do good work, but you will pay for it.

Gene
03-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Smytty's Cyclery on US50 in Fairfax or BioWheels in Madeira.

A good bike shop is not going to be cheap. What kind of bike is it? If it's a department store bike (Huffy/Pacific/etc), you're probably better off just getting another bike then spending the money to fix it. If it's a good bike, then either of those shops will treat you right. Talk to Kurt @ Smytty's or Mitch @ Biowheels.

Stangman
03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Yep... its a Huffy :lol:

Gene
03-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Yep... its a Huffy :lol:

That's why it's hard to work on.

A decent bike is actually very easy to maintain. The cheaply made in China bikes are thrown together and are not designed to last.

Stangman
03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
heck I've had the thing since... like... when I was 12 or 13... so like almost 11 years.. All it really needs is new cables and the gears adjusted to where I can shift into all of them again...

Pitbull1052
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
just pretend it's a motor cycle and you're hiding all the wires in the frame lol I would think of some of the jobs I know you've tackled this would be cake for you

Gene
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Okay, it's an older one...that's a good thing. They used more "off the shelf" parts back then (if fact, Huffy may still have been making bike in Dayton at that point)

Does it have normal Shimano or Suntour shifters? If it does, the parts should be readily available for it.

If you get the parts, I can help you install them. It's not hard.

Stangman
03-25-2010, 02:08 PM
just pretend it's a motor cycle and you're hiding all the wires in the frame lol I would think of some of the jobs I know you've tackled this would be cake for you

You'd think that... until you figured out my true attention span and short fuse, lol!!!

Okay, it's an older one...that's a good thing. They used more "off the shelf" parts back then (if fact, Huffy may still have been making bike in Dayton at that point)

Does it have normal Shimano or Suntour shifters? If it does, the parts should be readily available for it.

If you get the parts, I can help you install them. It's not hard.

I'll have to look... I dont recall...

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-25-2010, 02:19 PM
If the stuff isn't destroyed i can probably fix it for you. The catch is what needs replaced and getting replacement stuff. That's where a lot of the cost will come in at (aside from labor obviously) and at some point you have to decide which is more economical, buying all the replacement parts and paying to have them fixed or just buying a new bike.

From the time i was old enough to ride a bike until i was about 20 i practically lived on my bike. I didn't even get my license until i was almost 19 because i never had a car.

stangman_5
03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Dang jesse is everything a project with you :lol: bring it down here and we can fix it, or swap it with one of the 3 new ones i have in my garage :D

94tchikinv8
03-25-2010, 04:37 PM
If it's a Huffy, throw it in the pile with the stuff you're taking to the recycler next.

Then go on Craigslist and find a Trek, Specialized, or Giant mountain bike. I'm sure there are other good bikes, but those are the 3 big names that come to mind right now. You can get one in pretty good shape for less than $200(likely less than that). A bike shop would probably laugh at you if you brought in your huffy and you'd spend a small fortune fixing it.

I have been road riding for about 10 months now and I love it, especially when in a group. I just bought a 2010 Trek 2.1 and it is an awesome bike! It's a blast bombing down a big hill at 40+ mph. I've thought about getting a mountain bike to ride around the trails at Caesar Creek Lake, but I'm away at school right now so that'll have to wait.

Edit: Wheelie Fun in Lebanon is a good shop, but I doubt they're cheap.

-Rob

big cheif
03-25-2010, 06:37 PM
If the stuff isn't destroyed i can probably fix it for you. The catch is what needs replaced and getting replacement stuff. That's where a lot of the cost will come in at (aside from labor obviously) and at some point you have to decide which is more economical, buying all the replacement parts and paying to have them fixed or just buying a new bike.

From the time i was old enough to ride a bike until i was about 20 i practically lived on my bike. I didn't even get my license until i was almost 19 because i never had a car.

hell carrie has pictures to prove it!

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-25-2010, 06:39 PM
DUDE! HOLY SHIT! OMG i can't believe she has that pic. Dude that seriously just got me all teary eyed man...that made my day lol. Man those where the DAYS.

R825OH
03-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Bring it over Jesse I can fix it1

2Kblacksleeper
03-25-2010, 07:43 PM
I've got my old 20" Robinson and my Giant mountain bike out in the shed. I just can't get rid of them too many memories.

John

Kevin1989
03-25-2010, 09:42 PM
you better stick to a car, incase a deer pops out:lol: jfwy buddy

Stangman
03-26-2010, 10:26 AM
you better stick to a car, incase a deer pops out:lol: jfwy buddy

Dude! that has actually happened!! The deer didnt know what to do! it was crazy! And of course I freaked out and pedaled like mad man thinkin it was gonna come after me!!:lol:

Pitbull1052
03-26-2010, 11:39 AM
hell carrie has pictures to prove it!

wow David look at them long locks........ now is that a mullet or one length :cool1:

Dirtyd0g
03-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Jesse bring it by. I worked in a bicycle shop for several years when I was much much younger. Even the guys here are good with them. There really isn't much to them. I often think why did I buy a car when it cost me $45 to put all new tires on my bike. $300 for nice rims and tires!
Alan

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-26-2010, 02:58 PM
wow David look at them long locks........ now is that a mullet or one length :cool1:

That's a straight up mullet dude. Notice the combat boots. That pic is around '90 if memory serves me right. It was pretty long in the front too but not as long as the back so i think it still qualifies as a mullet.
:cool2:

Pitbull1052
03-26-2010, 03:06 PM
That's a straight up mullet dude. Notice the combat boots. That pic is around '90 if memory serves me right. It was pretty long in the front too but not as long as the back so i think it still qualifies as a mullet.
:cool2:

lmao yup that's a mullet then lol business in the front party in the back.......

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Here's another one from the same day. I was thinking it was around '93 but judging by the bike i'm on which was a Schwinn Preditor, i'm thinking it had to be closer to '90-91 at the latest. The bike in the foreground is my buddy's Mongoose Decade Pro...yeah, it was hot pink and chrome.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Dug up an old pic of my bike. I still have this one, although this is an S&M Dirtbike Next Generation frame, and all those parts are off of a Haro Mirra 540 Flair, and right now all the parts are back on the Haro frame. I'm actually thinking about selling the S&M frame if anyone is interested...it's in great shape. I really wanna get a new frame with a euro bottom bracket so i can run some micro gears.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/SMDirtbike.jpg

inferno50
03-26-2010, 07:43 PM
jesse i can help you if you want. i like to tinker with bikes. lets get that thing going so we can go to eastfork and ride the trails. they have a few decent mountain bike trails a couple miles long each. my son is growing out of his small bike so i am going to turn it into a sweet chopper for him.

big cheif
03-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Here's another one from the same day. I was thinking it was around '93 but judging by the bike i'm on which was a Schwinn Preditor, i'm thinking it had to be closer to '90-91 at the latest. The bike in the foreground is my buddy's Mongoose Decade Pro...yeah, it was hot pink and chrome.

Was wondering if ya got those! leo still has the decade frame. Seen a GT pro performer on craigslist last night. made a mess on myself cause i wanted one SOO bad when i was growing up. Ever see a Pk ripper? my best friend had one made to his body,weight etc.Cost like $ 1700 in 89!!

big cheif
03-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Dude! that has actually happened!! The deer didnt know what to do! it was crazy! And of course I freaked out and pedaled like mad man thinkin it was gonna come after me!!:lol:

Sorry dude but that is funny right there!

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Yeah i had a pk ripper. They still make them. Im gonna try to get in touch with the guy i traded my childhood bike to cause i know its in his moms basement collecting dust. One of my favorite bikes was a S&M Sabbath. It was a flatland frame and was pretty heavy but it had awesome geometry and rode so nice.