Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Fords New Police Cruiser [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fords New Police Cruiser

Pitbull1052
03-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Not that I ever think a cop car other than a stang coupe looks good but this one doesnt look bad.......

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1363/ford-introduces-new-taurus-based-police-car/

Black92LX
03-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Ford dropped the ball big time on this venture.
They are going to loose a huge chunk off their 70% market share this go round.
Chevy has the new Caprice and the Charger is getting a revamp for 2011.

I was excited about the announcement and quickly disappointed once the unveiling began.

Stangman
03-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Ford should just update the Crown Vic chassis and throw the new 302 4v motor down in it... that should catch just about anything :bigthumb

INSANEBA
03-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Idk, the SHO would be hard to outrun... tt, awd and all...

306Power
03-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Ford dropped the ball big time on this venture.
They are going to loose a huge chunk off their 70% market share this go round.
Chevy has the new Caprice and the Charger is getting a revamp for 2011.

I was excited about the announcement and quickly disappointed once the unveiling began.

How come it's a bad move?

Ranger50
03-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Room, power, handling, and the list goes on.

I've driven several Charger police cars and those are a BLAST to drive. :angel::angel::angel:

Brian

bestracing
03-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Isn't that smaller than the Crown Vic. I would think it would be cramped in that vehicle if you were 5'10" or taller due to the cage limiting the adjustability of the front seats.

Has anyone checked out the offering from Carbon Motors?

cobrajoe
03-18-2010, 10:23 PM
I would think the eco-boosted ones should be fairly decent. no worse than the depts. that had lumina's etc. JMO

Pitbull1052
03-19-2010, 07:13 AM
they said the new cruiser would have twice the pickup speed as the crownvic

Evil_Capri
03-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Some additional information . . .

1. This is just one of two new PIs
2. The back was engineered to stand up to impacts of 75 mph.
3. Engine to suspension connections were enhanced to CV levels.
4. The suspension is tuned to handle 8 inch curbs at 40 mph with no damage.
5. Ford has racked up 1 million miles in testing.
6. In has already been tested by Police departments nationwide as well as the safety association that tests police vehicles.

Black92LX
03-19-2010, 07:48 AM

In this economy there are going to be VERY VERY few departments that will be willing to drop the coin that the turbo model will cost.
So many will be buying the FWD V6 and FWD is no good for police driving. Chevy proved this when they switched to the Impala.

I also don't feel that the AWD system is up for the abuse a cruiser goes through.

Plus Turbos are going to be expensive to maintain.

Amongst other things. It will be a decent vehicle and they could have done worse. But Ford has been touting a purpose built vehicle. Which this is not.
Carbon Motors is a purpose driven police vehicle.

I would love to see Carbon Motors make it to fruition. I just don't see it happening.

beefcake
03-19-2010, 08:23 AM
i think it's bad a$$ lol

a lot of testing on it!!

can't wait to see em

Stangman
03-19-2010, 08:26 AM
I miss the crown vics... sucks the everyday person cant buy a "new" one anymore... crown vic sports rule... I'd sell the lincoln if I could find a black on black crown vic sport...

thecollector
03-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Carbon Motors is making progress but Ford will have enough time to realize the failure of this platform in law enforcement, update the old, retool plants and get Job 1 started before Carbon Motors ever gets a unit out the door.

In times of shrinking budgets, this is a risky move on Fords part especially with the competition finally becoming competent.

beefcake
03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
In times of shrinking budgets, this is a risky move on Fords part especially with the competition finally becoming competent.

Would that be GM? Dodge? Toyota?

lol

Maybe honda or hyundai are going to be making cruisers

Black92LX
03-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Would that be GM? Dodge? Toyota?

lol

Maybe honda or hyundai are going to be making cruisers

That would be a GM RWD with an LS motor:lol:
http://www.chevycapriceppv.com/

Da Natti
03-20-2010, 10:27 AM
I agree this will be ford mistake, the front wheel drive or all-wheel drive transmission will not last for day to day police abuse!

thecollector
03-21-2010, 03:14 PM
I agree this will be ford mistake, the front wheel drive or all-wheel drive transmission will not last for day to day police abuse!

:agree:

The turbos are not going to like all that heat soaked idling on the side of the road on 100 deg days.

As much as I would like for the car to be successful I just don't know how well the CV axles are gonna hold up when the current generation of 8.8's in the vic were chewing up axle shafts and bearings (Ive done to many warranty rearends to think otherwise).

Not that the unibody is weaker from a tensile strength standpoint but if Im in an interstate boxing match with a manic soccermom in a tahoe on the highway I want a full frame with double A-arms and solid axle not a unibody car riding on a strut suspension with 4 crumple zones.:)

It's not a purpose built car. As great as a new dashpad, rear seat pan, and "revised suspension" are it's an adaption as is the current car but we are looking for progress not afterthoughts.

Municipilaties will still have to go to Code 3 or federal signal for their lights and sirens, Ford should offer all this on the car (and warrant it)to cut out the aftermarket.

bestracing
03-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Chevy proved this when they switched to the Impala. Only thing they are good for is getting an inner-city beat cop to and from the police headquarters

redfirepearlgt
03-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Not that I ever think a cop car other than a stang coupe looks good but this one doesnt look bad.......

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1363/ford-introduces-new-taurus-based-police-car/

EVERY COP CAR LOOKS BAD WHEN HE/SHE IS LIGHTING YOU UP! LOL!!!!!

Pitbull1052
03-22-2010, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=redfirepearlgt;555997]EVERY COP CAR LOOKS BAD WHEN HE/SHE IS LIGHTING YOU UP! LOL!!!!!

Heard that!

redfirepearlgt
03-22-2010, 10:29 AM
In this economy there are going to be VERY VERY few departments that will be willing to drop the coin that the turbo model will cost.
So many will be buying the FWD V6 and FWD is no good for police driving. Chevy proved this when they switched to the Impala.

I also don't feel that the AWD system is up for the abuse a cruiser goes through.

Plus Turbos are going to be expensive to maintain.

Amongst other things. It will be a decent vehicle and they could have done worse. But Ford has been touting a purpose built vehicle. Which this is not.
Carbon Motors is a purpose driven police vehicle.

I would love to see Carbon Motors make it to fruition. I just don't see it happening.

There was a time when no one thought the computer EEC system was a good idea either, but after a genration or so it proved out to be a very smart paradyme change in the way cars/trucks are designed. Turbos have been on Fords on a pretty regular basis since the late 70's if not even earlier going back to their earliest years. The Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupe which was a lead sled is a great example of a non-innercooled turbo setup that lasted and lasted. My friend had an 85 or 86 model and put a real hard 4-5 years on that vehicle and never had to replace the turbo. It had over 100,000 miles of his hard, hard driving on it. The fact that these Taurus models if I understand right are intercooled and on a proven V6 power train and a proven drivetrain says a lot for the chances for success on this vehicle mechanically. Heck Subaru has been doing AWD with success for decades. Four Wheel drives have improved the technology even further with their advancement in steering and monster trucks that have had a huge impact on this technology as well.

I do agree however after all of this said that the price will be the one MAJOR concern. Add to that the incentives and rebates Washington will offer to cities purchasing Dodge or GM cruisers and there may be a short life for this cruiser and the research dollars put into it.

This is all opinion based on past experience and remembering when. I may be completely wrong and the technology in the Taurus may not be able to hold up, but I have to be optimistic. After all we are talking about Ford here, the only remaining freely traded automaker in the USA. Hope it can stay that way.

Black92LX
03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
I agree fully. I like the idea of an AWD Turbo car.

But if you have read any of my post dealing with government, I think very differently.

Governments will not spring for them. They will stick to the N/A V6 and be very disappointed in the performance.

redfirepearlgt
03-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I agree fully. I like the idea of an AWD Turbo car.

But if you have read any of my post dealing with government, I think very differently.

Governments will not spring for them. They will stick to the N/A V6 and be very disappointed in the performance.

I am agreeing with you completely. Years ago it woudl have been because of fear of change or cost. Today GM and Dodges will be used because they are now a part of the government so to speak. Again JMO. Have a good week.

zmcnutt
03-22-2010, 03:35 PM
deffinately a sweet looking car hopefully i'll be sporting one of these next year.....if i can find a police dept thats actually hiring lol

Black92LX
03-22-2010, 03:38 PM
deffinately a sweet looking car hopefully i'll be sporting one of these next year.....if i can find a police dept thats actually hiring lol

even if you do get hired it will be a long time before you get one of those.

My first cruiser was 10 years old:lol:

foxtrot
03-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Bad ass,but I hope it stays the fuck from behind me!!!!!!!

zmcnutt
03-22-2010, 09:26 PM
even if you do get hired it will be a long time before you get one of those.

My first cruiser was 10 years old:lol:

lol yes that is very true and by the way the economy is who knows if any departments will be able to afford any new cruisers oh well

CNTLOSE
03-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Were stocking up on Crown Vic's. We have three just sitting to keep the miles off and have them last longer. Hopefully we will be going with the Chargers when the Crown Vic's are all gone.

Katmandu
03-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Idk, the SHO would be hard to outrun... tt, awd and all...X2. :bigthumb That's going to be one bad assed Cruiser!

Katmandu
03-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Isn't that smaller than the Crown Vic. I would think it would be cramped in that vehicle if you were 5'10" or taller due to the cage limiting the adjustability of the front seats.

Has anyone checked out the offering from Carbon Motors?I was just telling my buddy here how small the interiors of the current Crown Vics actually are. I used to be an Aux.State Trooper and spent many, many hours riding shotgun in Crown Vics. You can't move the seat back or recline it due to the damn cage. I'm 5'9" and I was not comfortable at all. This was a time before the fullsize laptops were installed.

That Carbon Motors Police Cruiser is going to be a MONSTER!

Carbon Motors just signed a Contract with BMW to supply 240,000 3.0L Twin-Turbo Diesel engines. They'll put out around 265HP and get nearly 30MPG as well!

zmcnutt
03-23-2010, 09:12 PM
I was just telling my buddy here how small the interiors of the current Crown Vics actually are. I used to be an Aux.State Trooper and spent many, many hours riding shotgun in Crown Vics. You can't move the seat back or recline it due to the damn cage. I'm 5'9" and I was not comfortable at all. This was a time before the fullsize laptops were installed.

That Carbon Motors Police Cruiser is going to be a MONSTER!

Carbon Motors just signed a Contract with BMW to supply 240,000 3.0L Twin-Turbo Diesel engines. They'll put out around 265HP and get nearly 30MPG as well!

The e7 is is sweet a$$ car too especially the way they did the lights smoothed in the body but im wondering how its actually going to compare in price with the cruisers now once theyre in production

Katmandu
03-24-2010, 05:14 AM
but im wondering how its actually going to compare in price with the cruisers now once theyre in productionThey keep on claiming that they are going to be comparibly priced with their competitors.

We'll see. :rolleyes:

Katmandu
03-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Here's the announcement of the Carbon Motors and BMW agreement.
WASHINGTON, DC — Carbon Motors Corporation and BMW Group jointly announced a strategic partnership in a press conference held outside of the 2010 Government and Security/U.S. Law Conference and Exposition. BMW will supply Carbon Motors with advanced clean diesel engines, complete with cooling and exhaust gas systems, and automatic transmissions for the Carbon E7, the world’s first and only purpose-built law enforcement patrol vehicle – designed by law enforcement, exclusively for law enforcement.

“America’s largest, and most visible fleets of government-owned vehicles, now in excess of 450,000 units, deserve the most durable, efficient and reliable powertrain available,” said William Santana Li, chairman and chief executive officer, Carbon Motors Corporation.

“The strength of BMW as a partner will allow us to provide our women and men in uniform with a diesel engine capable of the performance they desire along with the significant reduction in fuel consumption and emissions that U.S. taxpayers need.”

It is estimated that the U.S. law enforcement fleet consumes an estimated 1.5 billion gallons of gasoline and emits an estimated 14 million tons of CO2 annually; the Carbon E7 will cut that by up to 40% using clean diesel technology.

Clean diesel is the technically correct solution for law enforcement operations due to its inherent performance, safety, operational, fuel efficiency, and durability characteristics.

“We are delighted to support Carbon Motors Corporation with our engine expertise,” said Ian Robertson, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG. “BMW Group diesel engines have a clear lead over the competition when it comes to fuel consumption, emissions and performance. Today’s agreement with Carbon Motors marks an important milestone in BMW’s 35-year commitment to the United States market.”

Also in attendance at today’s announcement were U.S. Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN) and Indiana’s Secretary of Commerce E Mitchell Roob, Jr. “Carbon Motors has exhibited relentless and unwavering determination in its efforts to put Hoosiers back to work,” commented Sen. Lugar. “Today’s announcement brings us one step closer to proving that America is back and is turning Indiana into the Silicon Valley of the auto industry.”