Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Autocross fox body? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Autocross fox body?

evildriver
03-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I was wondering if anybody on here autocrosses their fox body and could tell what kind of set up their running? I've been thinking of doing this to my notch for a while now. And not just autocross, but "spirited" driving.
Like should I use coilovers or just regular shocks and struts? What spring rates? What tire size? Sway bar dia.? Things like that. Thanks.

Mista Bone
03-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Dunno if many here dodge cones, but I would contact the Guard brothers if they are still active.

A lot will depend on two major things.

A) your wallet
B) what class you plan on running

CNTLOSE
03-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I have been out of autocrossing for awhile but here is my thoughts...

First go ride with a couple different guys with different set ups and see what you like and decide where you want to go with it.

Also...If you take you Mustang out of stock class you will likely never be very competitive with the other cars in you class...not that they are very competitive in stock class. (If you care to be.) Best bet is stay in stock class and do the minimal chages your allowed...tires, cat back, air filter, etc... If you get a good set of Hoosier autocross tires that will be the best thing for your car. Then build your skills up and attend a couple driver training classes at Mid-Ohio or like places.

However...if you already have engine mods you need to see what class that will put you in. Which anything major will put you in the "Prepared" class which is for all out race cars. Minimum mods are aloud to run in "Street Prepared" but you will need to get a 2010 SCCA rules book to know what those are...they have probably changed since I was active in it.

I ran a Mustang '86 GT, '90 GT, and a '03 GT for several years. They are fun but will never handle as good as a Camaro or some of the other cars in the same class...sad fact. The most competitive car I ever raced was our 1973 Datsun 240Z's.

04 Venom
03-10-2010, 11:15 AM
I have been out of autocrossing for awhile but here is my thoughts...

First go ride with a couple different guys with different set ups and see what you like and decide where you want to go with it.

Also...If you take you Mustang out of stock class you will likely never be very competitive with the other cars in you class...not that they are very competitive in stock class. (If you care to be.) Best bet is stay in stock class and do the minimal chages your allowed...tires, cat back, air filter, etc... If you get a good set of Hoosier autocross tires that will be the best thing for your car. Then build your skills up and attend a couple driver training classes at Mid-Ohio or like places.

However...if you already have engine mods you need to see what class that will put you in. Which anything major will put you in the "Prepared" class which is for all out race cars. Minimum mods are aloud to run in "Street Prepared" but you will need to get a 2010 SCCA rules book to know what those are...they have probably changed since I was active in it.

I ran a Mustang '86 GT, '90 GT, and a '03 GT for several years. They are fun but will never handle as good as a Camaro or some of the other cars in the same class...sad fact. The most competitive car I ever raced was our 1973 Datsun 240Z's.

Excellent advice. :bigthumb

inferno50
03-10-2010, 10:49 PM
im going to run a time or two this year just for fun im not really trying to be compeditive just trying it out to see if i like it. im putting all stock junk back in it when i go. i dont expect to do well but i also cant spend the money on all new sus. for just a time or two out. check out cincyscca.com if you havent they have the rules. you thinking about going to river downs. maybe ill see you there. i have buddys with miatas and s2000s who are into it. i could hook you up with them if you want. go onto youtube and search fox body mustang autocross the video is 42 sec long and that car fucking handles the track.

inferno50
03-10-2010, 10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaUmJ8nzz1A

here you go.

evildriver
03-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't really want to be competitive I just want to have fun. I grew up driving VWs around Fort Ancient and I miss that type of driving. I have fats and skinnies right now that I will be selling and unknown suspension so I don't want to drive like that with the setup I have. I noticed that Maximum Motorsports has some good looking set ups.
I plan on running 17's but I don't know how wide. Will I rub with 17's with that type of driving? Do I need coilovers to set my ride height just right or is there a decent spring strut/shock combo out there that will be good enough? Thanks for all the input guys.

CNTLOSE
03-11-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't really want to be competitive I just want to have fun. I grew up driving VWs around Fort Ancient and I miss that type of driving. I have fats and skinnies right now that I will be selling and unknown suspension so I don't want to drive like that with the setup I have. I noticed that Maximum Motorsports has some good looking set ups.
I plan on running 17's but I don't know how wide. Will I rub with 17's with that type of driving? Do I need coilovers to set my ride height just right or is there a decent spring strut/shock combo out there that will be good enough? Thanks for all the input guys.

If your going to be lowering your car then yes 17" wheels will rub a little on some of the turns you will make. I would get some cheap 16" Pony wheels and at least a set of sticky tires. You can't run with the center caps so that could help you in getting them dirt cheap. If I remember the MM kits are quite pricey...and if your going to spend that much you might as well go all out...IMO.

If you are not worried about what class you will be in I would get a good set of progressive rate springs, adjustable shocks/struts (Koni high end, Tokico low end), eibach swaybars, and change out your bushings...if you do not mind a harsher road driver.

Lastly the Mustang's push like crazy with anything but sticky tires...which is slow and no fun. Once you drive a car on the same track with and without the tires you will see what I mean...it is night an day difference on the Mustang's. I always ran Hoosiers and they are great but you will not want to run them on the street so be prepared to change them eveytime you get to the track. A good helmet is a nice investment. They will have loaners...but really do you want to put a helmet on your head that just came off some other sweaty guy...who may have lice?

Good luck...and after all this talking I might just bring out the FHP for a session or two. :D

evildriver
03-11-2010, 09:24 PM
That coupe on the vid looks quick!

So on the strut/shock deal did you mean like koni yellows or tokico blues?

Maybe I won't run 17's. I hate when tires rub no matter what I'm doing. I don't think I will feel like bringing an extra set of wheels with me if I go autocrossing, so maybe just a good street performance tire? But I might want some sticky tires after I do it and want some more grip, huh?:lol:

And about the mustang pushing I read about a guy that didn't run the s-spring in his lsd to help that out. I doubt I am going to mess with that, but I was wondering if you've heard of that?

CNTLOSE
03-11-2010, 11:13 PM
That coupe on the vid looks quick!

So on the strut/shock deal did you mean like koni yellows or tokico blues?

Maybe I won't run 17's. I hate when tires rub no matter what I'm doing. I don't think I will feel like bringing an extra set of wheels with me if I go autocrossing, so maybe just a good street performance tire? But I might want some sticky tires after I do it and want some more grip, huh?:lol:

And about the mustang pushing I read about a guy that didn't run the s-spring in his lsd to help that out. I doubt I am going to mess with that, but I was wondering if you've heard of that?

For shocks and struts get the adjustable ones. D-Spec for Tokico and I think it is Yellow for the KONI's...but not positive. I ran the old 5 way adjustable Tokico's on the Mustang's but had non adjustable KONI's on the Datsun's (They were purpose built cars that ran in Prepared classes). You will want the adjustable ones to help dial your car in pending where you are running at...and for street manners. I currently have the D-Spec on my '94 GT. I think I bought them brand new on ebay for around $400. Which reminds me, change out your lower control arms why your at it. Won't make a huge difference while street tires but as soon as you put some sticky ones under there you will want them.

I have not heard of removing the s-spring, but the weight on the nose and none at the rear is going to make it push so I am not sure how much that would help.

As far as tires when I first started we had some BFG's that were an in between tire that were a little better than your average street tire. But do your research on those because that was about 17 years ago and I am sure they make a better tire for dual purpose use now. They use to run a novice event at the begining of the season. If so that will be good time to pick some brains on the tires....tires is where it all is in autocrossing...just like at the strip. The things you can do with a good set of tires will make u look like a pro! :D

(You probably get it by now...but tires is where it is at. :lol:) Are you going to run with the CSCC or the Dayton SCCA?

Mista Bone
03-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Don't forget CincySCCA :)

CNTLOSE
03-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Don't forget CincySCCA :)

Are they back with SCCA now? CSCC was the Cincinnati Sports Car Club. They had falling out with SCCA back in the mid/late 80's and they were not affiliated with them for awhile if I remember correctly.

Mista Bone
03-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Are they back with SCCA now? CSCC was the Cincinnati Sports Car Club. They had falling out with SCCA back in the mid/late 80's and they were not affiliated with them for awhile if I remember correctly.

CinSCC (1963) started before CincySCCA, always been two clubs, mostly the same racers.

CincySCCA has more "politics".....autocrossers just pay the bills.

CNTLOSE
03-13-2010, 08:44 AM
CinSCC (1963) started before CincySCCA, always been two clubs, mostly the same racers.

CincySCCA has more "politics".....autocrossers just pay the bills.

That would probably be why we only ran CSCC. I remember running at Scarlet Oaks (Great Oaks now I think) and I believe Ryle High School in KY. I also remember before I was driving, I would watch my father racing in Downtown Cincinnati. They would close off several blocks and set up a race track like CART...those were fun days.

Mista Bone
03-13-2010, 11:43 AM
We still run at Scarlet (CSCC) and I did my first autox at Ryle (CincySCCA)

CNTLOSE
03-13-2010, 01:51 PM
We still run at Scarlet (CSCC) and I did my first autox at Ryle (CincySCCA)

All this talk I might have try and make it out some now that I have weekends off....Hmmm

Mista Bone
03-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Yep, shake off the rust. Been since 1998 Since I won DSP in Cincy SCCA and runner up in CiSCC.

The CRX I bought has been to Nationals before....so the car is capable, dunno about the driver. I do need a helmet and a SCCA membership.

Black Horse
03-14-2010, 05:34 AM
Check out the WOR Dayton bunch (www.worscca.org) - they run at Kilkare quite often.

GREAZY
03-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Check out the WOR Dayton bunch (www.worscca.org) - they run at Kilkare quite often.
Yesterday 11:29 PM

They also run at the Dayton VA Hospital. I like both locations better than Cincy. The VA is huge and fast. Kilkare is on the banked oval :D

CNTLOSE
03-15-2010, 08:59 AM
That was who we mainly ran with towards the end. I loved going to Kilkare but they had started going to Wright State the last year I ran...which I think was 2004.

Ryan218
03-15-2010, 11:22 AM
i did it in my hatch one day for the hell of it. it was more like sliddddddddd around every corner...i had fun though lol :thumb: a guy up here up uses a 89 lx with a MM suspenion and explorer setup, he was running about 2 seconds slower then a z06 on the course that had set up at cooper.

Mista Bone
03-15-2010, 03:36 PM
i did it in my hatch one day for the hell of it. it was more like sliddddddddd around every corner...i had fun though lol :thumb: a guy up here up uses a 89 lx with a MM suspenion and explorer setup, he was running about 2 seconds slower then a z06 on the course that had set up at cooper.

Teal colored with different colored fenders????

Black Horse
03-15-2010, 03:45 PM
I got my "start" in Auto-X until my first on-track event. Scaring cones is fun, but a real road course is a BLAST - even in stock trim.

I did an Auto-X several years back with the race car (entered it into the CP class) - other than not being able to brake (couldn't get any heat in to them before the run) I did pretty well. It was a course that Danny Popp set-up so it gave me a little room to run!

Mista Bone
03-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Dave, if we get DHL/Wilmington, you'll have room to get heat into those pads :)

Rumor is there may be an event or two at Millet Hall, short tow for you!

SCCA meeting tomorrow....must remember to attend!

Kevin Doe
03-16-2010, 09:46 AM
I got my "start" in Auto-X until my first on-track event. Scaring cones is fun, but a real road course is a BLAST - even in stock trim.

I did an Auto-X several years back with the race car (entered it into the CP class) - other than not being able to brake (couldn't get any heat in to them before the run) I did pretty well. It was a course that Danny Popp set-up so it gave me a little room to run!

I thought the same thing. I thought autox sucked after I went to mid OH and putnam park. Then I realized I don't have the money to support such a thing. So back to autox for me, to at least build some skills. Plus its still fun, even if the seat time is a lot less.

evildriver
03-17-2010, 12:46 PM
While looking on the internet I found out that some guys run a 4cyl sway bar in the front and upgrade the rear swaybar. What I got from it was the it helps the front end to flex which helps it grip. What do you guys think?

Kevin Doe
03-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I have no idea how the fox's handle, but I'd find it hard to believe that they have an understeer issue. Maybe they do I don't know. I actually disconnected my rear bar to get more rear grip. I wouldn't think you'd want to reduce rear grip in a RWD car.

Mista Bone
03-17-2010, 03:43 PM
bigger sway bar = less traction at that end of the car in general unless you have the spring rates really out of wack.

Kevin, have you ever rode with Danny in the old '71 Vette?????

controlled drifto point and shoot.

I can't wait to get back at the cones, after 11 years, I'm gonna be really rusty and slow!

04 Venom
03-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Kevin, have you ever rode with Danny in the old '71 Vette?????

controlled drifto point and shoot.

I rode with Danny Popp in his 2003 Z. He drives angry!! :eek:

Mista Bone
03-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I rode with Danny Popp in his 2003 Z. He drives angry!! :eek:

and you ride scared shitless.

Danny: "Again?"

04 Venom
03-17-2010, 04:52 PM
and you ride scared shitless.

Danny: "Again?"

Ya know Bone, I never had so much fun in a car (at least with the ignition on :D) as when I rode with Danny. It was my first time at an auto-x and he was going so fast, I couldn't even follow the course. His steering inputs are just blindingly fast. Just pure adrenaline. Unfortunately, there is always a line of people waiting to ride with Popp and I didn't get to ride with him again that day. I know the guys that run road courses tend to look down on auto-x, but Danny told me that doing auto-x made him better on the track.

I wish I could drive like him.

Mista Bone
03-17-2010, 08:38 PM
EVERYONE wishes they could drive like Danny!!!!

I will be honest, since riding with Danny everything else is just "meh", even a wheels up launch in a 11 second Mopar I got to drive.

04 Venom
03-17-2010, 10:17 PM
EVERYONE wishes they could drive like Danny!!!!

I will be honest, since riding with Danny everything else is just "meh", even a wheels up launch in a 11 second Mopar I got to drive.

Yep, going fast in a straight line doesn't compare. I'd sure like to second seat a few hot laps on a road course with Danny.

Black Horse
03-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Danny is a truely talented individual that love the horsepower cars! I agree that the Auto-X will improve your road course skills as you have less room and shorter times to make your corrections and get it all right.