Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
More car dealers than individual buyers? WTF? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : More car dealers than individual buyers? WTF?

Blackout
03-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this? I have the 88 LX for sale on here and Craigslist and I have had 4 Dealers call today. 2 showed up and looked at the car. Desperate and Car-less i guess.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Pitbull1052
03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I sold for like 10 years and I never did understand why dealers didnt do that more often

Steves LX
03-08-2010, 04:21 PM
I haven't had that but I have had people email me and for a small fee offer to sell the car for me under other ads which I think is a scam. So did these dealers try to low ball you and try to make you look like you didn't know anything or what?

djom1cincy
03-08-2010, 04:30 PM
What are you advertising on?

Blackout
03-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I haven't had that but I have had people email me and for a small fee offer to sell the car for me under other ads which I think is a scam. So did these dealers try to low ball you and try to make you look like you didn't know anything or what?

yeah... something like that. One guy started to pull out his little black book and started to look it up. I just told him that I wouldn't sell it to him if he gave me double at that point. The other guy didn't care about much other than the few little spots and the mi. Said that 124k was alot of miles for an 88. I just locked the car back up and closed my garage. I left the guy outside alone. He didn't know what to think.:D. Bunch of crazy crap. All I can do is laugh. :lol: at the stupid people thinking there getting a perfect 22 year old that has 124k mi. on it for $2300 OBO. All I can say is WOW!

cobrajoe
03-08-2010, 05:16 PM
yeah... something like that. One guy started to pull out his little black book and started to look it up. I just told him that I wouldn't sell it to him if he gave me double at that point. The other guy didn't care about much other than the few little spots and the mi. Said that 124k was alot of miles for an 88. I just locked the car back up and closed my garage. I left the guy outside alone. He didn't know what to think.:D. Bunch of crazy crap. All I can do is laugh. :lol: at the stupid people thinking there getting a perfect 22 year old that has 124k mi. on it for $2300 OBO. All I can say is WOW!

Let's see.... they say avg. yearly mileage is 12 to 15 thou. So....

22 x 12000 = 264,000 miles
124,000 / 22 = just a tad over 5600/yr.

That guy must have been smoking monkey pole!:rolleyes:

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I put 11k on my Merkur in 3 years :lol:

They just wanna lowball you with KBB offers so they can take it back to their lot and do a buy here pay here detail job on it and sell it for 2x as much with no warranty. And somewhere there's a stupid person who would buy it from them just because it's on a car lot and not in your garage.

Pitbull1052
03-09-2010, 08:26 AM
dealers don't use KBB or NADA those are for banks and insurance companies to determine a retail or a loan value. They only get updated about every quarter or sometimes once a year. Dealers use a black book which is about as accurate as it gets. The prices in it are made up from the averages at the auctions every week so they are updated every week. They are used to determine whole sale........

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-09-2010, 08:34 AM
So they're based off of sales popularity by the masses and not necessarily by the sale and interest of enthusiasts?

So for example, while the rest of the world doesnt' give a damn about a no options, manual steering and manual brakes '79 coupe, the average Mustang enthusiast might crap his pants over it. The black book might say it's a $1000 car at best but someone who loves the style and wants a no option coupe would pay who knows how much.

Does that sound about right?

lst4g63
03-09-2010, 09:00 AM
dealers don't use KBB or NADA those are for banks and insurance companies to determine a retail or a loan value. They only get updated about every quarter or sometimes once a year. Dealers use a black book which is about as accurate as it gets. The prices in it are made up from the averages at the auctions every week so they are updated every week. They are used to determine whole sale........
Your a little backwards, banks most certainly use black book to determine loans because if you default they need to know what they can get at auction. Dealers use it too but I've seen some use bb or nada. Blue book and nada are mostly just consumer resources so you have an idea since most consumers don't buy and sell at auction.