PDA

View Full Version : Brake lines!!

Stangman
03-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Hey all,

A buddy of mine just got his stang out yesterday from sitting all winter, and took it out to stretch it's legs for a bit, got home, went to pull in the driveway and popped a brake line...

Anyone got any brake lines from an 86-up 5.0 car that they've pulled off a parts car?

ALL his lines are rusty and I think he's just going to replace them all.

The cheaper the better

Let me know what ya got, thanks

Jesse

k062693w
03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
I would NEVER replace brake lines with used ones !!! For no more then New Ones cost, To me it wouldn't be worth the risk !!! Just my $.02

You can go here and get a complete line set for $155 for steel and $179 for stainless !!!
Seems cheaper to me then A$$packing someone because a used brake line busted !!!

www.classictube.com

facemelter71
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Or swing over to the local parts store,grab 25 feet of line,some new fitting and your out the door for less then probly 40 bucks.

Stangman
03-04-2010, 04:06 PM
I would NEVER replace brake lines with used ones !!! For no more then New Ones cost, To me it wouldn't be worth the risk !!! Just my $.02

You can go here and get a complete line set for $155 for steel and $179 for stainless !!!
Seems cheaper to me then A$$packing someone because a used brake line busted !!!

www.classictube.com

If they aren't rusty I dont see an issue with a used line busting. I know my parts... I dont plan to put junk on someones car.

Or swing over to the local parts store,grab 25 feet of line,some new fitting and your out the door for less then probly 40 bucks.

I'll mention that idea. I'd like to try my hand at doing full brake lines.

Worst case scenario, I'll just inspect his lines for more possible future trouble spots, if I cant find any, I'll just section his with 2 new fittings and 2 unions, depending on where the bad spot is.

k062693w
03-04-2010, 09:57 PM
If they aren't rusty I dont see an issue with a used line busting. I know my parts... I dont plan to put junk on someones car.

Forgive me for doubting your vast automotive experience ... :rolleyes:

I'll give you my $.02 again to clarify ...
1. Fox Mustang with a rusted brake line ... Probably means more then just one is rusted ( After 41 years I've learned that usually if one particular part rusts, more then likely the other like components have rusted also) !!!
2. You are looking to replace a rusted/failed brake line on a 17+ year old car with another used brake line off of a 17+ year old car ...
3. Brakes are something that shouldn't be taken lightly ...
4. ( Before I say anything here I want to clarify that I know it's for a friend and it would NEVER happen) But if you replace his brake line with a used part or even new for that matter, And it or one of the others fail and God Forbid he injures/kills himself or someone else ... Guess who it can come back on ???
Watch any court show ... Friends sue "Friends" all the time !!!

See my point ??? I was not doubting your abilities, I was simply making a statement based on the above !!! :bigthumb

92coupe
03-05-2010, 02:02 AM

I'll mention that idea. I'd like to try my hand at doing full brake lines.

Worst case scenario, I'll just inspect his lines for more possible future trouble spots, if I cant find any, I'll just section his with 2 new fittings and 2 unions, depending on where the bad spot is.

I just put all new lines on my coupe, just before that i replaced every line on my 69 ford truck rubber and steel. It's really easy to do, Just take your time make a bend try it and go from there.
Like Andy said buy a 25' section 3/16 line and the necessary fitting and have at it. you will need a double flare tool and a decent bender.

Stangman
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
That is going to be the worst case scenario. I doubt doubt my abilities of doing it, but I doubt the space and amount of tools my friend has to do it...

See, foxbody's are such interesting cars... you can have 2 of the same year, one could be a complete hunk of rust (IE the car we are working with) and the other could be a pristine car that was wrecked with no rust... would I take the brake lines off the car that was wrecked? you're damn right I would. If I cant find ANYTHING wrong with the brake lines coming off the damaged car, or a car in the junkyard, or a car being parted out, and spend a couple bucks on them to save some time... then I'll do it. I'm not stupid and I'm not going to go buy rusted brake lines... jeeesh... And our intent is to replace ALL the lines, not just the affected line, because yes, I do know that once you fix one, another ALWAYS blows...

What would you think if I told you so far I've built my entire car out of used parts? how's that grab ya?

this aint my first rodeo people...

93lincolnmk8
03-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Jesse you should just save the headache and get new lines. So what if you have to bend them yourself. If you do find used lines that cosmetically look good they may already be junk and you just cant see it. Chances are they would come off of a car that has sat for a long time. Brake fluid is hygroscopic...it absorbs moisture. Lines that may look great on the outside may be damn near rusted through from the inside because of moisture. In other words NEVER use used brake lines.

mustang3091
03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Jesse i have a set in my garage

Clean91lx
03-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Jesse you should just save the headache and get new lines. So what if you have to bend them yourself. If you do find used lines that cosmetically look good they may already be junk and you just cant see it. Chances are they would come off of a car that has sat for a long time. Brake fluid is hygroscopic...it absorbs moisture. Lines that may look great on the outside may be damn near rusted through from the inside because of moisture. In other words NEVER use used brake lines.

I agree! If you go the $ spen it on new lines!