Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Toyota recall rant [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Toyota recall rant

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-24-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't know who this guy was just now on TV but they were talking about the recall and how "in the history of the auto industry there's never been a company go out of its way to fix as many cars as we're fixing" or something along those lines.

Well that's because no other company as fucked up on this large of a scale dipshit. How does a company pat themselves on the back for correcting something they screwed up?

If i beat the shit out of my GF but i take her to a good reputable plastic surgeon to fix her broken jaw, can i pat myself on the back for that???

djom1cincy
02-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Um. What about the pinto with the exploding gas tanks, crown vics with exploding gas tanks. Explorer with exploding tires. Cobras with sticking gas pedals. Need I go on? Hell the pinto wasn't recalled because it was cheaper to deal with the law suits than the recall.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
My point is just that, because you're fixing your screw up doesn't mean you have any room to pat yourself on the back. An apology will suffice.

Pitbull1052
02-24-2010, 02:22 PM
from the sounds of it it's not just a pedal issue its an electronic issue.... I guess the biggest thing that bugs me is hearing how they were bragging about saving millions or billions by working with the government........

BigBadStang
02-26-2010, 01:43 AM
To quote some classic Judas Priest..."some heads are gonna roll..."

Evil_Capri
02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Um. What about the pinto with the exploding gas tanks, crown vics with exploding gas tanks. Explorer with exploding tires. Cobras with sticking gas pedals. Need I go on? Hell the pinto wasn't recalled because it was cheaper to deal with the law suits than the recall.

http://www.car-forums.com/s10/t2240.html

Remarkably, the affair of the "exploding" Ford Pinto--universally hailed as the acme of product liability success--is starting to look like hype. In a summer 1991 Rutgers Law Review article Gary Schwartz demolishes "the myth of the Pinto case." Actual deaths in Pinto fires have come in at a known 27, not the expected thousand or more.

More startling, Schwartz shows that everyone's received ideas about the fabled "smoking gun" memo are false (the one supposedly dealing with how it was cheaper to save money on a small part and pay off later lawsuits... and immortalized in the movie "Fight Club"). The actual memo did not pertain to Pintos, or even Ford products, but to American cars in general; it dealt with rollovers, not rear-end collisions; it did not contemplate the matter of tort liability at all, let alone accept it as cheaper than a design change; it assigned a value to human life because federal regulators, for whose eyes it was meant, themselves employed that concept in their deliberations; and the value it used was one that they, the regulators, had set forth in documents.

In retrospect, Schwartz writes, the Pinto's safety record appears to have been very typical of its time and class. In over 10 years of production, and 20 years that followed, with over 2 million Pintos produced, no more people died in fires from Pintos as died in fires from Maximas...

Roush GT
02-26-2010, 01:11 PM
LINO LAKES, Minnesota: Ever since his 1996 Toyota Camry shot up a ramp on an interstate highway, ploughing into the back of an Oldsmobile in a horrific crash that killed three people, Koua Fong Lee insisted he had done everything he could to stop the car.

A jury did not believe him and a judge sentenced him to eight years in prison.

But revelations of safety problems with Toyotas have Lee pressing to get his case reopened and his freedom restored.

Relatives of the victims - who condemned Lee at his sentencing three years ago - now believe he is innocent and are planning to sue Toyota.

The prosecutor who sent Lee to prison said he thought the case merited another look.

In an interview in prison on Wednesday Lee said: ''I know 100 per cent in my heart that I took my foot off the gas and that I was stepping on the brakes as hard as possible. When the brakes were looked at and we were told that nothing was wrong with the brakes, I was shocked.''

Lee's accident is among a growing number of cases getting new attention since Toyota admitted its problems with sudden acceleration were more extensive than originally believed.

Phil Carruthers, who prosecuted the case for Ramsey County, said if Lee's car was defective ''we don't want an innocent man sitting in prison''.

Lee, 32, a Hmong immigrant with only about a year of driving experience, was driving his pregnant wife, four-year-old daughter, father and brother home from church on the afternoon of June 10, 2006, when their Camry zoomed up an Interstate 94 exit ramp in St Paul.

Police said it was travelling between 115 and 145km/h when it rear-ended a car stopped at a red light. Javis Trice Adams, 33, and his 10-year-old son, Javis Adams jnr, died at the scene. Mr Adams's six-year-old niece, Devyn Bolton, was paralysed from the neck down and died shortly after Lee was convicted.

Lee's Camry was not among those subject to Toyota's recent safety recalls but Toyota did recall some 1996 Camrys for defective cruise controls that could cause sudden acceleration.

Bob Hilliard, a Texas lawyer, is preparing a lawsuit for relatives of the victims of the crash.

Mr Hilliard said other federal complaints suggested a defect more widespread than recalled cruise controls - a problem with engine control modules that could extend to other Toyota models from other years.

He knew of 16 potential class actions filed after the car maker's recent revelations.

Paperwork will be filed soon seeking re-examination of the Camry, which still sits at the St Paul police lot. Then the judge would have to be persuaded new evidence merited a new trial.

Associated Press

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/i...0226-p92e.html

There's a Video on this on CNN, but I can't view it from work. Had to pull the info from this website... I'm thinking that they're using Toyota's problem as a scapegoat, but if they can truly prove that this is what happened, then Toyota's problem stems back over 12 years. If this is proven right, and this isn't an isolated incodent, then this could almost certainly ruin Toyota.

1fast4d
03-13-2010, 12:42 PM
And in reference to the crown vic supposed exploding gas tank,that was never proven and do you really think Police departments all over the United states will still be driving them if that were true!

1fast4d
03-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Toyota is still in a state of denial,isin't it strange they were hiring former NHSTA agents and all the stopped investigations that are now comming out on safety

96SaleenReplica
03-13-2010, 03:30 PM
ok as far as the tires exploding or whatever u wanna call it on the ford vehicles was bridgestone tires fault not fords lol

96SaleenReplica
03-13-2010, 03:32 PM
toyotas are junk anyways....they should just shut there doors all they are is rust bucket p.o.s's!!!!

praterjack
03-13-2010, 04:05 PM
toyotas are junk anyways....they should just shut there doors all they are is rust bucket p.o.s's!!!!

Thats a pretty dumb statement right there. First off the quality is still great and will be for years to come. I mean look at the amount of toyotas that have 2 and 300,000 miles on them, and still running strong. Second of all if you shut the doors on toyota, then do you know how may americans will be out of a job. You might want to rethink shutting toyota down!

dynawideglide01
03-13-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't know who this guy was just now on TV but they were talking about the recall and how "in the history of the auto industry there's never been a company go out of its way to fix as many cars as we're fixing" or something along those lines.

Well that's because no other company as fucked up on this large of a scale dipshit. How does a company pat themselves on the back for correcting something they screwed up?

If i beat the shit out of my GF but i take her to a good reputable plastic surgeon to fix her broken jaw, can i pat myself on the back for that???

Do you have any idea how many recalls there have been in the auto industry through out the time cars have been made.Several people have lost there lives due to fuck ups like this.Have you ever gotten on alldata and pulled up tsb's and recalls on vehicles,hate to say it,but when you do that on a ford,Gm,or chrysler you can smoke a cigarette while you wait for these to load onto your computer.Why wouldn't this be probabley the most publisized recall in history,hell the government's in the car business now.What better way to hurt your biggest competition.I agree it's a fuck up.But all and all when talking about quality and longevity of cars toyota and honda are hands down the best you can get(I'm not talking sports,muscle or strip cars).Maybe after all this toyota can come to the U.S government and ask them for millions of dollars in bailout money,NOT!It's gonna hurt sales for a while,but when I'ts all said and done,people that traded in ther toyota for a gm,ford,or chrysler will get tired of being at there local dealerships service department every other week and will smarten up.I'm a used car mechanic at a toyota dealership so I can back up everything I have said!

BigBadStang
03-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Do you have any idea how many recalls there have been in the auto industry through out the time cars have been made.Several people have lost there lives due to fuck ups like this.Have you ever gotten on alldata and pulled up tsb's and recalls on vehicles,hate to say it,but when you do that on a ford,Gm,or chrysler you can smoke a cigarette while you wait for these to load onto your computer.Why wouldn't this be probabley the most publisized recall in history,hell the government's in the car business now.What better way to hurt your biggest competition.I agree it's a fuck up.But all and all when talking about quality and longevity of cars toyota and honda are hands down the best you can get(I'm not talking sports,muscle or strip cars).Maybe after all this toyota can come to the U.S government and ask them for millions of dollars in bailout money,NOT!It's gonna hurt sales for a while,but when I'ts all said and done,people that traded in ther toyota for a gm,ford,or chrysler will get tired of being at there local dealerships service department every other week and will smarten up.I'm a used car mechanic at a toyota dealership so I can back up everything I have said!

An unbiased opinion no doubt... :rolleyes:

2007ShelbyCobra
03-14-2010, 01:11 PM
dont they say some of these cars that have been fixed by Toyota dealers still have the problem? :)

rmracing
03-14-2010, 05:35 PM
An unbiased opinion no doubt... :rolleyes:

I can only speak on my own experience but here goes . I have been working on these Toyotas for many years and I personally have NEVER had a car in the shop nor heard or any tech I work with that have had any car with this acceration concern . I can also say for a fact that since I have done LOTS of these campaigns , that LOTS of cars come in with 2 , some even 3 floormats in the drivers floor board that I put in the trunk when doing the campaign .

I also can say that the only time I have ever driven a car the the gas pedal stuck was in my American made MUSTANG . Guess what happened . The floormat got stuck under the pedal . I shut off the key and stopped and threw the floor mat in the back seat.

I work on these things and if I had seen problems I wouldnt let my wife and kids drive around in an unsafe car everyday .

Now dont get me wrong , anything is possible to happen but if there are any legit problems , they are extreamly rare.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-14-2010, 06:23 PM

You're clearly sticking up for them. I'm just saying, fixing the problem gives you no right to prance around like you're some kind of do-gooder. The reason for this particular rant wasn't so much about the recall, it was about the guy i saw on TV who was ranting on about how big of a job it was going to be...he was BRAGGING about how many cars were being serviced for the recall and trying to twist it around into some kind of pat on the back thing that they're going out of their way to do something that they didn't really have to do. It's bullshit.

And for the record i wouldn't be any less pissed if it was the CEO of Ford up there and this whole ordeal was with Ford cars.

dynawideglide01
03-14-2010, 07:52 PM
You're clearly sticking up for them. I'm just saying, fixing the problem gives you no right to prance around like you're some kind of do-gooder. The reason for this particular rant wasn't so much about the recall, it was about the guy i saw on TV who was ranting on about how big of a job it was going to be...he was BRAGGING about how many cars were being serviced for the recall and trying to twist it around into some kind of pat on the back thing that they're going out of their way to do something that they didn't really have to do. It's bullshit.

And for the record i wouldn't be any less pissed if it was the CEO of Ford up there and this whole ordeal was with Ford cars.
I apologize I wasn't trying to be an ass towards you,and I agree know one should pat themselves on the back for fixing there own mistakes.I'm personally just a little upset about the media attention that this has been given,and I think It's been blown out of proportion.Also I think there are toyota owners out there that are seeing dollar signs over this,kinda like the guy in southern california with the prius that doesn't even fall under this recall.How could someone go 95mph for 30miles at 3:30 in the afternoon on a southern california highway without causing an accident,doesn't seem possible if you ask me.Shouldn't be long and the CEO of honda will be in front of congress for something.Once again I apologize for taking my anger and disgust out on you if that is how it appeared,as for your post your absolutely correct.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Yeah i don't doubt there's a lot of BS surrounding this...but you're gonna get that when you're the top auto maker and you run around spouting off on commercials like they do. I just think they should say look we screwed up, we knew about this screw up for some time now and we didn't do enough to fix it, we're working to correct the problem, we're sorry please forgive us and then do whatever it takes to fix the problem and move on. You don't put some mouth piece on TV and have him spout off about how they're making history by fixing the problem....because it's only historic because maybe it's the biggest recall ever, which only means it's the biggest fuck up ever. Does that make sense?

mustang8998
03-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I still believe, it is media hype.

But the longer-term and more specific record tells a different story. According to Olivia Alair, a spokeswoman for the Department of Transportation, from 2000 through the end of January 2010, the agency received 15,000 total sudden acceleration complaints. Ford had the most, with 3,526 of them. Toyota was in second place, with 2,600. Right behind were General Motors, with 2,250, Chrysler with 1,873 and Honda with 1,173.http://industry.bnet.com/auto/10004031/piling-on-toyota/

orange01gt
03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
and it was firestone not bridgestone dammit

97dustang
03-15-2010, 09:22 PM
it was a firestone tire, but they exploded because ford set them at a low pressure to improve the ride quality.

96SaleenReplica
03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
pretty much americans are losing there jobs all over anyways not like toyotas gonna keep americans working lol please enough of that crap we wouldnt miss there crap cars i wouldnt be caught dead in one

96SaleenReplica
03-15-2010, 09:41 PM
regaurdless of how u try and make it fords fault IT AINT FIRESTONE MADE THEM THEY CAN DEAL WITH IT

Mista Bone
03-15-2010, 10:11 PM
I can only speak on my own experience but here goes . I have been working on these Toyotas for many years and I personally have NEVER had a car in the shop nor heard or any tech I work with that have had any car with this acceration concern . I can also say for a fact that since I have done LOTS of these campaigns , that LOTS of cars come in with 2 , some even 3 floormats in the drivers floor board that I put in the trunk when doing the campaign .

I also can say that the only time I have ever driven a car the the gas pedal stuck was in my American made MUSTANG . Guess what happened . The floormat got stuck under the pedal . I shut off the key and stopped and threw the floor mat in the back seat.

I work on these things and if I had seen problems I wouldnt let my wife and kids drive around in an unsafe car everyday .

Now dont get me wrong , anything is possible to happen but if there are any legit problems , they are extreamly rare.

This is a Toyota that came in for recall work, floormat was in the trunk, had surging idle at times........the plot thickens......

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/bonespec/Misc/photo1.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/bonespec/Misc/photo2.jpg

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Is that carpet against the pedel?

I was thinking the other day, it's a good thing this runaway car thing is happening to slow ass Toyotas and not something faster.

Mista Bone
03-16-2010, 07:14 AM
carpet from the tunnel area is catching the pedal........

djom1cincy
03-16-2010, 08:28 AM
regaurdless of how u try and make it fords fault IT AINT FIRESTONE MADE THEM THEY CAN DEAL WITH IT
So what your saying is that because another company made toyota's gas pedal and computers its not toyota's fault just like Firestone wasn't fords fault.

96SaleenReplica
03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
ya ford dont make firestone tires firestone does moron lol ford just buys from them because a family member of ford is married to a family member of firestone otherwise they wouldnt buy theyre shitty tires lol

djom1cincy
03-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Ok moron. Toyota doesn't make gas pedal or computers. Both of which are being blamed on out of control speeds. Ford used the Firestone tires so they where liable just like Toyota is liable for the pedals and computers.

dynawideglide01
03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
pretty much americans are losing there jobs all over anyways not like toyotas gonna keep americans working lol please enough of that crap we wouldnt miss there crap cars i wouldnt be caught dead in oneToyota is a japanese car,but most of them are manufactured in the united states.

dynawideglide01
03-16-2010, 08:30 PM
This is a Toyota that came in for recall work, floormat was in the trunk, had surging idle at times........the plot thickens......

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/bonespec/Misc/photo2.jpgYeah I've seen that too.I'll be one of the first to admit,I don't think they really know the cause.I just think It's been a little blown out of proportion by the government to try and boost american car sales.

dynawideglide01
03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Everything is Obamas fault.If it wasn't for him everything would be fine.I think he just made me stub my toe on the coffee table.

rmracing
03-16-2010, 08:42 PM

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/bonespec/Misc/photo2.jpg

I have looked at HUNDREDS of these cars and the carpet in that pict looks rolled under causing it to bulge out and rub on the pedal. Look closely and you can see it. It looks like the carpet has been pulled back for some reason and not put back correctly .

97dustang
03-16-2010, 09:10 PM
yea it looks to me like maybe someone did that on purpose, trying to get a new car or something. We've had a couple people call into my dealership saying that their pedal got stock on their accord or civic or whatever just trying to get a new car or get money.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Everything is Obamas fault.If it wasn't for him everything would be fine.I think he just made me stub my toe on the coffee table.

Yeah cause he's the one pushing the press to cover it right? :lol: He's covering for his GM investment.

dynawideglide01
03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah cause he's the one pushing the press to cover it right? :lol: He's covering for his GM investment.
Everyone needs to cover for there investments don't they?The press only likes to cover negative things 95% of the time,It's sad really.But truth of the matter is that's what most of americans want to see.Everyone loves to watch a trainwreck.

dynawideglide01
03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
I have looked at HUNDREDS of these cars and the carpet in that pict looks rolled under causing it to bulge out and rub on the pedal. Look closely and you can see it. It looks like the carpet has been pulled back for some reason and not put back correctly .You did that,didn't you rocky?

rmracing
03-17-2010, 07:40 PM
You did that,didn't you rocky?

You know better than that Jimmy.

Motorvation
03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
One phrase can sum up the fix to all these troubles...K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Drive by wire...Complete crap, yet it's being forced down our throats. I really hate the hesitation I've experienced with it...damn near lost my ass a time or two.

There was some prototype cars with steer by wire. I don't even want to think about the consequeces of that in full production.

What the hell is wrong with Mechanical control of these functions???:confused:

I don't need a car to mircowave my fries while I'm driving down the road. When I drive 800 miles to the in-laws house I think it would be nice for a car to drive itself, but then I think about how bad of a wake up that would be when something went bad.

Humans build cars, humans make mistakes, humans mistakenly make faulty electronics, and faulty electronics wreck your shit!

There are no kudos for owning up for your mistakes. It's just the right thing to do!

97dustang
03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
they have to do the drive by wire to meet the upcoming emission standards courtesy of our lovely government :)

facemelter71
03-18-2010, 08:57 AM
To late for steer by wire.Benz and Volvo both have it.

The cars still have a steering shaft as safety,but they have a SAS module to control steering.Steering Angle Sensor.
Ford had it on the old Taurus sho's,better called speed sensitvie steering.

Ranger50
03-18-2010, 03:44 PM
One phrase can sum up the fix to all these troubles...K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Drive by wire...Complete crap, yet it's being forced down our throats. I really hate the hesitation I've experienced with it...damn near lost my ass a time or two.

There was some prototype cars with steer by wire. I don't even want to think about the consequeces of that in full production.

What the hell is wrong with Mechanical control of these functions???:confused:

I don't need a car to mircowave my fries while I'm driving down the road. When I drive 800 miles to the in-laws house I think it would be nice for a car to drive itself, but then I think about how bad of a wake up that would be when something went bad.

Humans build cars, humans make mistakes, humans mistakenly make faulty electronics, and faulty electronics wreck your shit!

There are no kudos for owning up for your mistakes. It's just the right thing to do!

#1 reason- COST! With DBW, you lose the IAC, TPS, plus the mechanical linkage. All of these cost BIG bucks over a vehicle production run. Personally, I love DBW. The lag you learn to deal with. I don't even notice it anymore in the vehicle that have it.

Brian

Ryan218
03-18-2010, 04:50 PM
DBW is no fun. friends car has it. you hit that gas....wait for it wait for it. then it starts moving lol.

i agree. being blown out of proportion. but people are dying so people are seeing money signs above the pos prius. btw. i hate prius. one hit my jeep and there denying fault and their insurance company denied so i hate them lol. dont have the jeep anymore but still cost me over 800 out of my pocket to fix.

either way. fix the problem and move on.

like it was said..electronics break....anything made by a human will and can break. they will get it sorted out. but what it's going to cost them will be the question.

and yeah the whole were doing all this look at us is shitty. you caused it. just fix it and move on.

97dustang
03-18-2010, 07:14 PM
how do you loose a tps with drive by wire? they actually have two tps signals, the way toyota does it is that each tps has a different starting value, one at idle is 1 volt the other is usually .5 of a volt, then throughout the range of the gas pedal they increase in voltage together, always staying a half a volt apart, that way the computer has two inputs to check the same thing. and drive by wire cars actually have an additional sensor called an accelerator pedal position sensor, which does exactly that, tells the comp how far you are pressing the gas pedal. I will agree that it does save money however you actually have two tps's. there are also more reasons than just cost, such as emissions.

1fast4d
03-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Funny I've never heard Ford or Gm on National TV making excuses for a recall.And how many times were they on the front page about a recall.guess it was just media hype.

Ranger50
03-18-2010, 08:38 PM
You lose TPS because now it is the APPS, accelerator pedal position sensor, which is also has redundancy. You lose the TPS in terms that it isn't on the TB anymore as an external part. The APPS is cheaper to build, FYI.

It is like building a mousetrap that can't catch the critter by the tail. Someone out there is designing that mousetrap.

97dustang
03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
but there are two tps's on the throttle body, the app sensor is monitoring the pedal, and the tps's are monitoring the the butterfly valve, they need both for a drive by wire system

Ranger50
03-18-2010, 09:45 PM
but there are two tps's on the throttle body, the app sensor is monitoring the pedal, and the tps's are monitoring the the butterfly valve, they need both for a drive by wire system

Actually, no.

The TB now has this "HUGE" DC motor moving the butterfly. There isn't any TPS sensor. Everything is controlled via ECM/PCM. With a given APPS signal, you get "x" butterfly movement to satisfy the input. This butterfly movement is then sent back to the computer to determine if it is operating correctly.

97dustang
03-18-2010, 10:02 PM
yes i am aware there is a motor turning the butterfly valve. and yes, it is controlled via ecm/pcm. so if there is no tps sensors, what sends the butterfly's movement back to the computer?

big cheif
03-21-2010, 12:19 AM
I was talking to my gf's dad who works for rons imports. he said the frames on the tacoma trucks rot clean in half!!! He also said the damn spare tire will fall off.

97dustang
03-21-2010, 12:33 AM
yea toyota had a recall for the tacomas having rusty frames. Toyota would either buy the truck back for kelley blue book and a half, or they would replace the frame.

rmracing
03-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Actually, no.

The TB now has this "HUGE" DC motor moving the butterfly. There isn't any TPS sensor. Everything is controlled via ECM/PCM. With a given APPS signal, you get "x" butterfly movement to satisfy the input. This butterfly movement is then sent back to the computer to determine if it is operating correctly.

This is on a 2010 Camry drive by wire and if you click on the pict even though its a little hard to read , you can see it does still have a TPS.

HDmstng
03-21-2010, 08:27 AM
yea toyota had a recall for the tacomas having rusty frames. Toyota would either buy the truck back for kelley blue book and a half, or they would replace the frame.

There was no frame replacement option. If the frame was deemed bad they would buy the truck back at 1.5x KBB at excellent condition regardless of the condition it was in. My Tacoma is under the recall but no frame rust, still have a few years left on the warranty though.

rmracing
03-21-2010, 08:46 AM
There was no frame replacement option. If the frame was deemed bad they would buy the truck back at 1.5x KBB at excellent condition regardless of the condition it was in. My Tacoma is under the recall but no frame rust, still have a few years left on the warranty though.

The 95-2000 get the buy back . The 2001-2004 are getting frames replaced .

BigBadStang
03-21-2010, 11:16 AM
The 95-2000 get the buy back . The 2001-2004 are getting frames replaced .

Does anyone really believe it took them 9 YEARS (1995-2004) to figure out that they had a rust problem? I suppose that was the steel makers fault those shit buckets rotted in half.:rolleyes:
AGAIN, if this problem would have been a domestic manufacturer, it would have been front page news for weeks. I don't remember hearing dick about the buy back in the media.

rmracing
03-21-2010, 11:49 AM
So has anyone ever heard of a car or frame rusting out before or are these Toyotas the only cars in history to ever rust ?

The difference is that Toyota customers came out very good on this deal and I sure havent had Ford call me about my 2 rusting front frames on my mustangs and offered to fix them since its a common problem . Ford also hasnt offered to fix my rusted out hatches or quarters either .

glassman
03-21-2010, 03:09 PM
So has anyone ever heard of a car or frame rusting out before or are these Toyotas the only cars in history to ever rust ?

The difference is that Toyota customers came out very good on this deal and I sure havent had Ford call me about my 2 rusting front frames on my mustangs and offered to fix them since its a common problem . Ford also hasnt offered to fix my rusted out hatches or quarters either .

They(ford) didn't want to do anything about my truck doors or tail gate. The truck had 30,000 and they told me it had to be "rust through" not surface rust on the seams. I asked what they thought was gonna happen if I left it alone.... He said it will rust through. :dummy:

97dustang
03-21-2010, 03:39 PM

hahaha ive never seen any ford trucks that rust

http://benpalmeriphotography.com/Galleries/TheYard/images/Rusted-Ford-Trk.jpg

BigBadStang
03-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Remember the Toyota trucks from say like 1979 through 1989? The beds would literally FALL OFF in pieces. I personally don't know a single person that had Toyota do anything about that, or the grotesque dimples they all had after a year or two.

djom1cincy
03-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Does anyone really believe it took them 9 YEARS (1995-2004) to figure out that they had a rust problem? I suppose that was the steel makers fault those shit buckets rotted in half.:rolleyes:
AGAIN, if this problem would have been a domestic manufacturer, it would have been front page news for weeks. I don't remember hearing dick about the buy back in the media.

Well if you want to think about it, it is the steel makers fault. Who's else would it be? They make the steel. It rust. Its their fault. Its just toyota's fault they used that manufacturer. Just like its Toyota's fault for using the pedals and computers. Just like fords fault for using Firestone a few years ago.

Ranger50
03-21-2010, 09:42 PM

This is on a 2010 Camry drive by wire and if you click on the pict even though its a little hard to read , you can see it does still have a TPS.

Sorry, I meant to say as a removable serviceable part.

97dustang
03-21-2010, 10:33 PM
its cool man, yea you gotta buy the whole thing, i would imagine they would be rather pricey too ... but what isnt at a dealership these days lol

big cheif
03-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Remember the Toyota trucks from say like 1979 through 1989? The beds would literally FALL OFF in pieces. I personally don't know a single person that had Toyota do anything about that, or the grotesque dimples they all had after a year or two.

yea, you could throw a damn cat through the bed!

BigBadStang
04-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Hmmm...this sure is interesting...
LINK (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/04/07/toyota-warned-europe-accelerator-problem/)

BigBadStang
04-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Well if you want to think about it, it is the steel makers fault. Who's else would it be? They make the steel. It rust. Its their fault. Its just toyota's fault they used that manufacturer. Just like its Toyota's fault for using the pedals and computers. Just like fords fault for using Firestone a few years ago.

Yeah...:rolleyes:
The steelmaker told Toyota choose an uncoated alloy that rusts. I bet they also told Toyota to form the steel in a fashion which causes it to hold silt and moisture.