Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Oil cooler 96-98 Cobra [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler 96-98 Cobra

Yellow98Cobra
02-01-2010, 10:09 PM
To make a long story short, I pulled the Mustang out of the garage and had oil everywhere, it only leaks when the car is cold and running. I took it to my dads shop and put it on the lift and noticed the oil is coming from the oil cooler. The oil is coming out of a tiny hole dead center on the bottom of the cooler. I thought that there was a hole (defect) but after researching I have found out that this is a telltale hole for if there is an issue. I have removed the shaft that has the Allen end on it. It was so loose that I could remove it with my fingers. I looked up the torque specs on alldata and it is saying to torque to 53lbs. I did so and and the car is still leaking oil. It stops when the car is warm. Has anyone ran into this issue and if so can you share how you fixed it. This has me stumped. I guess I will tear it all apart and check the O-ring in the shaft.

WCKDGT
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
the same thing is happening to me right now. i havent checked the shaft yet but its definetly one of the o rings in the oil cooler. i just ordered my o rings today from ford be in tomorrow. just a heads up check the other o rings 1st cuz you cant get that o ring thats on the shaft seperatly you have to buy the shaft and only ford carries it and its $100 bucks. ill have mine apart tomorrow morning. im trying the 2 other o rings 1st to see if that will fix it.

WCKDGT
02-01-2010, 11:13 PM
heres a link from a different forum where i found out about it. scroll down and look at the pics

http://sn95forums.com/index.php/topic,36560.70.html

Yellow98Cobra
02-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I have solved the problem, it was indeed the o-ring on the shaft. I found an O-ring that was the same size off of an AC unit, fit perfect. Started the car, no issues. I was not about to drop 100 bucks for an o-ring.

WCKDGT
02-02-2010, 05:24 PM
yea me either i just tightened mine and it stopped

Yellow98Cobra
02-02-2010, 10:53 PM
If it starts again shoot me a pm and I can share with you the part number for the O ring.

WCKDGT
02-02-2010, 11:23 PM
sweet thanks man

kmp
02-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Hey just wanted to add, careful to make sure you get the correct O-Ring for the main body of the oil cooler. the correct o-ring is a little beefier and has squared edges that will for better to the contact areas of the main body of the cooler. If you get the rounder smooth o-rng, that is for the '99 and up.