Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Toyota is so screwed [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Toyota is so screwed

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-31-2010, 06:46 PM
There was just a piece on the news about people coming out of the woodwork suing Toyota over this gas pedal recall. People are blaming it on rear end accidents and probably a million things that really aren't related to the issue but you know how people cash in on stuff like this. With Ford being #2 right now, and Toyota getting tore up right now...who thinks it's highly likely that maybe by summer Ford gets bumped back up to the #1 spot?

2007ShelbyCobra
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
I hope Ford goes to #1. Now if its Toyota with the problem, there a terrible company, they need to be sued out of their ass. If Ford had the problem... well, its not really a big deal, just makes powershifting that much easier :)

Squale iii
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
I doubt it. Toyota is a strong company with hella assets.

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Well looking back there was that issue with the Firestone tires on Explorers, and somehow Ford made people forget that ever happened. Who knows.

Squale iii
01-31-2010, 06:54 PM
As long as they take care of the customers listed in the recall, I think they'll recover.

2007ShelbyCobra
01-31-2010, 06:56 PM
I thought this killed like half a dozen people?

306Power
01-31-2010, 07:00 PM
As long as they take care of the customers listed in the recall, I think they'll recover.

That's what I think, if they can take care of the problem they wont lose all that much customer wise.

2007ShelbyCobra
01-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Toyota stopped production of 8 models of vehicles and is recalling about 4.26 million to fix a problem with the drive by wire pedal causing unintended acceleration. 19 people have been killed, over 200 accidents reported, and more than 2,000 occurances of run-a-way cars.

It started with 2.3 million cars and they have just been adding from there. Also, Toyota said they decided to shut down production but they were required by the Highway Traffic Safety Administration to do so.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...as-pedal_N.htm

This even goes back to the Tacoma in 2008...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...sa_tacoma.html

More than 400 consumers have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about unintended and sudden acceleration in the Tacoma pickup. Reports to the agency document 51 crashes and 12 injuries.

Squale iii
01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Toyota stopped production of 8 models of vehicles and is recalling about 4.26 million to fix a problem with the drive by wire pedal causing unintended acceleration. 19 people have been killed, over 200 accidents reported, and more than 2,000 occurances of run-a-way cars.

It started with 2.3 million cars and they have just been adding from there. Also, Toyota said they decided to shut down production but they were required by the Highway Traffic Safety Administration to do so.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...as-pedal_N.htm

This even goes back to the Tacoma in 2008...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...sa_tacoma.html

More than 400 consumers have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about unintended and sudden acceleration in the Tacoma pickup. Reports to the agency document 51 crashes and 12 injuries.

How many of those reported accidents and fatalities were really caused by it though? You know everybody and their mother is going to try to blame it on that. It's like McDonalds with coffee spills...once one person gets a million bucks, everybody jumps on the bandwagon and tries to sue.

2007ShelbyCobra
01-31-2010, 07:40 PM
not really, I believe 19 100%, now ex: 900 deaths no, I knew of at least 6 deaths for sure from it months ago before it went on the news

SpoonyGT
01-31-2010, 07:57 PM
its not wise to hope toyota fails...sadly they provide a lot of jobs in the US but hopefully this gets domestioc auto makers to build some newer production facilities in the US or bring back the ones that are in Mexico.

Squale iii
01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
its not wise to hope toyota fails...sadly they provide a lot of jobs in the US but hopefully this gets domestioc auto makers to build some newer production facilities in the US or bring back the ones that are in Mexico.

Exactly, that's alot of jobs.

praterjack
01-31-2010, 08:39 PM
I hope this blows over sooner than later. I hate the amount of phone calls I get at the dealership all day. I get one's all day of people hoping to make money off toyota. Things such as my car done 120 twice and I didnt think anything of it till now. There is also the one where my toyota just got in an accident about three weeks ago because the pedal stuck and I want a refund. Then finally you got the old people scared out of their mind bringing the car back like its wal-mart and saying they are not going to drive the car anymore and want it bought back. Oh well I hope it goes over quick because im getting tired of the broke people thinking they are going to get rich.

2Kblacksleeper
01-31-2010, 08:57 PM
This is no different than Fords cruise control catching fire. Or the exploder tip over issue. Then there's GM's use of shitty rear ends that blow up. Etc.
It will just take time to blow over.

On another note if you are so stupid that you don't realize that OH SHIT my gas pedal stuck and to throw it in neutral, well then natural selection has failed and should be sped up to Include you.

I've had a pedal stick before. My first thought was throw it in neutral. It was on a 90 Nissan stanza gxe. The floor mat had got stuck under the pedal.
I had also only been driving for a couple of months at the time and realized what made common sense.

John

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-31-2010, 09:02 PM
My Cherokee has a block heater on it...which has a regular style outlet plug that is coiled up and zip tied on top of the intake (from the factory..i've never used it). One winter the plug somehow got under the throttle linkage and got stuck as i was accelerating from a stop light. It was really bad out...the roads were covered in snow. It took me a good few seconds to think about what to do because my first reaction was to control the car so i didn't hit anything (it was all over the place). I eventually snapped out of it and slipped it into neutral and shut it off. If i had been on dry road, i could easily see how this could've ended up as a rear end accident before i was able to think about going into neutral. Maybe if i was on dry road that would've come to mind first instead of keeping it in a straight line.

Oh, and i'm not rooting for the demise of Toyota...just starting a discussion. The news is all in an uproar over it...but i guess that's what they do.

2Kblacksleeper
01-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Then again since when has the news reported real news. I could give to shits about Jon and Kate etc. Lol

I picked up the 4g usb drive to get to you. If you don't mind PM me a good time to drop it off to you.

John

2007ShelbyCobra
01-31-2010, 09:41 PM
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr105/2007ShelbyCobra/Toyota.jpg

Blackpony
02-01-2010, 01:31 AM
I,ve been in california for almost 3 weeks now and been called by the Beechmont Toyota service department 4 times for me to get my car in on the recall

BigBadStang
02-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Just plow the thing into a wall, claim the accelerator stuck and get in line for a handout.

duststang
02-01-2010, 07:51 AM
People forgive Toyota a lot easier than they forgive Ford. I remember Toyota had a recall a few years back with the ball joints and no mention of it after one report (Like it never happend). Seems like when a American company has recall the new will run it into the ground. JMO

bestracing
02-01-2010, 09:53 AM
People forgive Toyota a lot easier than they forgive Ford. I remember Toyota had a recall a few years back with the ball joints and no mention of it after one report (Like it never happend). Seems like when a American company has recall the new will run it into the ground. JMO

Not to mention all those trucks that the frames were rusting out on....

BigBadStang
02-01-2010, 12:12 PM

That is FACT. Imports, for whatever reason are granted more of a pass by the media than any domestic auto manufacturer.
Such as; the buy backs on the rusty Toyota trucks, the many lawsuits filed against Honda for fast registering the odometers so they appear to get more MPG, and get out of warranty sooner, Nissan buying back all those ugly ass vans that were rolling fire bombs, and even as far back as the Audi's that would suddenly accelerate (the 4000's I believe). There may have been initial media coverage, but within a day or so...nothing but crickets. If a domestic manufacturer would have had any of the above mentioned issues, it would be headline news for weeks.

beefcake
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
yeah, it amazes me how quickly toyota is forgiven for stuff. I think the tundra cost them 16billion dollars and no mention of it in the news

PONYGRL
02-01-2010, 02:17 PM
My professor said they had a similar recall several yrs ago with Audi. The accellerator stuck and whatnot and Audi ended up pulling out of the US for numerous yrs and took the wrong approach to solving the problem. Obviously Toyota and Audi do not compare, not in the US atleast, but I am kinda anxious to see what ends up happening to the company and how they resolve the whole issue...

Goldenpony
02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Don't count Toyota out. That would be a big mistake.

BigBadStang
02-04-2010, 07:05 AM
It keeps on coming...Toy-yo-yo admits to faulty brakes on their prized Prius...'You asked for it, you got it...Toyota." :lol:
Toyota has lost $25 Billion in value since 1/21/10.

Aweasel
02-04-2010, 08:03 AM
hopefully this gets domestioc auto makers to build some newer production facilities in the US or bring back the ones that are in Mexico.

Really doubt this will have any effect on the domestic auto makers' choice to put up plants in the US. They're handling this well but I wouldn't buy one right now lol. A complete halt in sales, bugging customers to come in and get the recall. Halted production, etc.

Obviously the Pinto fiasco which was significantly more deadly and handled by ford terribly didn't crush them.

Ford actually compared the financial difference between cost of lawsuits regarding loss of human life vs. manufacturing cost/losses. Every big manufacturer has some shit on their record.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Honestly, i think in the end they'll come out stronger. They seem to be taking a straight forward approach at the recalls and i think if they do it right they'll gain respect.

duststang
02-04-2010, 08:31 AM
They are saying that Toyota has know about the issue and have been covering it up for a long time. (straight foward)
I heard the only reason this is happening now is because the Government had them quit selling cars until the issue is fixed.
I like how everyone acts like "I cannot believe Toyota would do this or have these problems". The issue has to be due to the fact the gas pedals are American made?
:rofl:

BigBadStang
02-04-2010, 09:10 AM
I like how everyone acts like "I cannot believe Toyota would do this or have these problems". The issue has to be due to the fact the gas pedals are American made? :rofl:

Nope...that can't possibly be the problem. If the pedals were made in America, by Americans, it would be too lazy fat and stupid to work at all. :rofl:

beefcake
02-04-2010, 09:28 AM
a guy i sell with here, his parents are die hard toyota people. They keep telling him, it's the parts manufacturers fault, not toyotas, look how they have come out about the problem.

We're like, the gov't made them do it.

But when Ford has a problem, it's always fords fault!

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-04-2010, 12:34 PM
It really doesn't matter if Satan caused the problem does it?

When it was Firestone tires that were bad causing Explorers to roll, did anyone cut Ford a break?

k062693w
02-04-2010, 12:45 PM
It really doesn't matter if Satan caused the problem does it?

When it was Firestone tires that were bad causing Explorers to roll, did anyone cut Ford a break?

NO !!! Because it wasn't Firestone's fault, It was that JUNK ASS auto 4wd system that ford put in the Exploders !!! It would cause the front wheels to engage anytime the rear wheels slipped ... As in if you start to fishtail and correct it, Only to have the 4wd kick in and throw you the other way !!!
IMO it was better for Firestone to take the hit then Ford ... Can you imagine what it would have cost Ford to replace the 4X4 system on all of those Explorers versus 4 tires ???

Goldenpony
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Nope...that can't possibly be the problem. If the pedals were made in America, by Americans, it would be too lazy fat and stupid to work at all. :rofl:

FYI, the gas pedals in the Toyotas are made in Indiana, by Americans.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I guess my memory is wrong, i thought it was tire related...but whatever. Like someone else said, there's not a car company out there who hasn't had their share of embarrassing recalls and mishaps.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-04-2010, 02:56 PM

100% made here or assembled here by imported parts? They might put a Honda or Toyota plant on our soil, but it's still a foreign car built with imported foreign parts. 99% of those cars (and Fords for that matter) say Made in China or some other country on them somewhere.

Goldenpony
02-04-2010, 03:03 PM
100% made here or assembled here by imported parts? They might put a Honda or Toyota plant on our soil, but it's still a foreign car built with imported foreign parts. 99% of those cars (and Fords for that matter) say Made in China or some other country on them somewhere.

I just read that the six speed tranny for the new Mustangs is made in - wait for it - CHINA. Thanks Ford!

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-04-2010, 03:13 PM
That's exactly my point. It doesn't matter where it's made and by who, chances are really good that it's still got China written all over it.

When you see the Toyota commercial that says "proudly built here in America" that just means they ship the crap over here to a factory and put it together here instead of shipping fully built cars from there to here.

The point is, whoever manufactured the parts is irrelevant.

redfirepearlgt
02-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Well looking back there was that issue with the Firestone tires on Explorers, and somehow Ford made people forget that ever happened. Who knows.

I still say that was mostly caused by lunatic Soccer parents over driving a top heavy, high sitting, vehicle like they used to drive their four door, FWD, 4 banger, sedan. :D

BigBadStang
02-04-2010, 08:23 PM

FYI...you have to know that was a joke, right? If you didn't, you may want to loosen your necktie...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, these pedals are made by whoeverthehell to TOYOTA'S SPECIFICATIONS. It is also TOYOTA'S responsibility to have Quality Control to catch stuff like this IF they were indeed manufactured wrong. I'm willing to bet, that they were NOT manufactured wrong, but a poor design, and/or piss poor QC. Ultimately, Toyota will try to pin it on the supplier.

BigBadStang
02-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Not everything that comes out of China is a piece of shit. If something made there is a POS and has a 'name brand' on it, then blame the company who's name is on the thing. They ultimately have the final say on whether or not to sell the item that has their name on it. It is still up to the SELLER to have QC to ensure the stuff is being manufactured to specification, PERIOD!

Aweasel
02-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Well if they were within spec of the design then quality control wouldn't really have anything to report. Design flaw has to be caught in testing. Doubt Toyota has any problem with quality control....they pretty much wrote the book on it...you just don't miss shit like that unless it was designed that way and as per their drawings...it won't look like anything out of the ordinary.

Aweasel
02-04-2010, 09:25 PM
I still say that was mostly caused by lunatic Soccer parents over driving a top heavy, high sitting, vehicle like they used to drive their four door, FWD, 4 banger, sedan. :D

By that logic an equal number of blazers, pathfinders, 4 runners etc should have been flipping over all over the place but weren't.:bigthumb

IWRBB
02-05-2010, 09:42 AM
My professor said they had a similar recall several yrs ago with Audi. The accellerator stuck and whatnot and Audi ended up pulling out of the US for numerous yrs

Audi never pulled out of the US market. Your professor is wrong.

a guy i sell with here, his parents are die hard toyota people. They keep telling him, it's the parts manufacturers fault, not toyotas

Tell him/them the part was built to Toyota's specifications and met those 100%. The parts aren't defective, the design is defective.