Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Harrison area Mustang enthusiast passes [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Harrison area Mustang enthusiast passes

redfirepearlgt
01-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Some here may know or have met Gene Berry of Harrison, Ohio who has been a life long Ford Mustang enthusiast. Gene passed away of a massive heart attack on Monday 1/25/2010 after a year long battle with health complications. He was a young 73 years old.

If you know or ever met Gene you will remember he was a larger than life 6'7" tall 270+ lb man who was happiest when crammed into the cockpit of his 1965 GT 350 Shelby Mustang which supported a 289 hypo (paxton supercharged) and 4 speed tranny. Gene was an awesome man often described as a gentle giant and a has been a major inspiration and mentor to many people including myself.

His latest restoration a 1967 GT500 Shelby Mustang left behind will be completed by his son, daughter, and son-in-law in time for this year's Shelby Mustang show circuit.

Gene owned and/or restored over 75 mustangs throughout his lifetime not to mention his short passion for Mercury Cougars in the mid 80's. He will be missed. His son Chris and daughter Lisa will carry his passion on as they share this long love for Ford Mustangs with their children.

God Speed Mr. Berry!

firestang70
01-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Did not know the man but sounds like he had a pretty good and full life. we should all be so lucky.

winner70ta
01-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Gene was a helluva nice guy. In the late eighties and early nineties I used to go to the SAAC annual Spring Fling over at Brown County State Park in Indiana. Gene was one of their board members at the time. He always had a smile on his face and an honest "Hello" for everyone. He definitely loved his blue oval machinery and all of the other enthusiasts that he met along the way. Has been years since I had seen him but what a great guy.

mwaller5672
01-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Back in the late 70's I was at his house and started talking Mustangs. I didn't even know he liked them yet. I was trying to sell him insurance. He took me in the garage and I just about passed out. He had on 64 1/2 that he had restored and it was nice. He tried to sell it to me for 1800 bucks. Just one of the times I could kick myself. Of course thats been 2 kids and 3 houses ago so I probably would have sold it like I did the 65 I had.
Mike

sean
01-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Glad he lived to bring so many cars back to life and touch so many people. Sounded like a great guy.

redfirepearlgt
01-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Gene was a helluva nice guy. In the late eighties and early nineties I used to go to the SAAC annual Spring Fling over at Brown County State Park in Indiana. Gene was one of their board members at the time. He always had a smile on his face and an honest "Hello" for everyone. He definitely loved his blue oval machinery and all of the other enthusiasts that he met along the way. Has been years since I had seen him but what a great guy.

His daughter Lisa has taken his seat on the board. She owns a 1966 GT350-H Shelby 4-speed.

redfirepearlgt
01-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Back in the late 70's I was at his house and started talking Mustangs. I didn't even know he liked them yet. I was trying to sell him insurance. He took me in the garage and I just about passed out. He had on 64 1/2 that he had restored and it was nice. He tried to sell it to me for 1800 bucks. Just one of the times I could kick myself. Of course thats been 2 kids and 3 houses ago so I probably would have sold it like I did the 65 I had.
Mike
I remember that car well. I can asure you it would have been worth every penny and there would have not been one cut corner or one surprise after you bought it. Gene was the most honest person going and disclosed everything, and I mean everything on a car to the seller before it left. He also made sure they were going to good homes as well.

winner70ta
01-30-2010, 09:46 PM
His daughter Lisa has taken his seat on the board. She owns a 1966 GT350-H Shelby 4-speed.

I remember her getting a black & gold one way back when so I am going to assume that is still the same one(?) Thanks for letting us know of his passing.

redfirepearlgt
01-30-2010, 09:59 PM
I remember her getting a black & gold one way back when so I am going to assume that is still the same one(?) Thanks for letting us know of his passing.

Same Shelby. Gene (I always referred to him as Mr. Berry) traded a 1968 he had for an off lease 2006 Hertz GT 350H just returned from the Hertz fleet so that the family would have both Hertz Shelbys in their collection.

This man and his family mean a heck of a lot to me. He was like another father.

Timido
01-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Sad to hear he passed away. It sounded like he enjoyed life.

89coupe
01-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Gene and his family are stand up people, u couldnt find better people if you tried. I have gotten to be really good friends with Chris and he is one of the smartest people ive ever met he has wired several mustangs for me and his work is top notch.... i rented the garage right next door to Gene and Chris for several years and thats how i got to know the family.... RIP Gene You will always be Remembered

redfirepearlgt
01-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Gene and his family are stand up people, u couldnt find better people if you tried. I have gotten to be really good friends with Chris and he is one of the smartest people ive ever met he has wired several mustangs for me and his work is top notch.... i rented the garage right next door to Gene and Chris for several years and thats how i got to know the family.... RIP Gene You will always be Remembered

Chris generated my interest in electrical/electronics theory at a very young age (he is only a year older than me). He was teaching me series/parallel theory basics with regard to Dry Cell battery circuits when he was in fourth grade and I was in third. We were always wiring up lights and motors and all kinds of crazy stuff. Later he would get those Radio Shack 100 -1 electronics kits for Christmas and after he got board wiring the experiments in the book he would start making his own stuff. We both work at the same company now and I know when I am out in the field on a job site and I receive a repairable circuit board I need to get a machine back up running, and it has those initials CB on the QA sticker there is no doubt it will work. He is a big reason why I am where I am today. I won't mention all of the trouble we got into over the years. Thats another story!!!!! LOL!