Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Painters chime in.... [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Painters chime in....

91boost
01-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Auto body panels come in to work yesterday and sold my boss on their new paint called matrix, they are going to put in a mixing station and let us try it. I use ppg global and love the stuff for color match and coverage. They claim it is a copy of ppg but the cost is cut in half. I dont want to switch i told him it is cheap ass paint and will not match and will fade out pretty easy. Have any of you painters heard of this or used it????

Metcalf Racing
01-14-2010, 11:33 AM
You should try it first. You may like it better. I never have liked ppg and I know im not the best painter out there but my dad doesn't like it either and he is Top Notch. He likes chroma base. Everyone has their own idea on the subjuect so you should just try it and see

INSANEBA
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Chromabase is the shiznit! I love house of kolors for custom coats tho...

Black Horse
01-14-2010, 01:02 PM
The biggest part of the equation may be to see what kind of support you can get from the Matrix folks. With PPG, Dupont and some others, you can get immediate help, on the phone 24 hours a day. (And you don't have to speak Chinese)

Each painter has their favorites, its the support behind the product that will get the results.

91boost
01-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I have used chromabase, it is good but i dont think it covers good.

Maximus
01-14-2010, 01:28 PM
I like Playskols, Finger Paints. You get great coverage and its easy to work with. I would reccommend a smock to protect your clothes thou.

Good Luck!!:bigthumb

Metcalf Racing
01-14-2010, 01:30 PM
I have used chromabase, it is good but i dont think it covers good.

Well the color plays a huge roll also. I've used hot huges that's colored great and then switch colors and like to never it it fully colored

DeckerEnt
01-14-2010, 01:33 PM
I like Playskols, Finger Paints. You get great coverage and its easy to work with. I would reccommend a smock to protect your clothes thou.

Good Luck!!:bigthumb

If it says washable, then you are good to go!

67fastback
01-14-2010, 01:50 PM
If the paint is that much cheaper then you know its not very good quallity paint. I think you should talk him into switching to Spies Hecker, you you would love it

347sc
01-14-2010, 06:13 PM
It serves its purpose. He wants a cheaper paint to cut costs and if he isnt offering any warranty with the cars he sells then you should try it.You also get the jobs where the customer cant afford to buy the $300 gallon clear and the $300 in base so a cheaper alternative is needed or you just eat it and lose money. I have sprayed it and had good results but I wouldnt use it in a job that you are going to stand behind. The clear I used laid out like glass and the gloss retention was as good as anything else just remember the faster it drys the less gloss it keeps. The shop I used to work at did tons of Neons and the boss had some around for a couple years as drivers and never had a delam or any dull up. The bases can be a little thin but if you use a colored primer/sealer or a ground coat of something close its not bad. I say try it and if you have problems go back to PPG.

I have shot them all and none are perfect and it also depends in the way you apply, prep, and the equipment you use. If you use cheap you get cheap.

Metcalf Racing
01-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I don't like ppg because its difficult. I walked in the other day to get paint for an 05gt I was working on. I had the paint code and vin# and ppg had 5 colors of grey it could be. They wanted to take a picture. Lol not hardly. I asked about chromabase. They had one color and it was a great match. How do you have 5different greys with the year, paint code,and vin#.

inferno50
01-14-2010, 07:58 PM
if you have the varient deck global is great. i use it every day. i dont think cheap paint is worth the hassle. a guy i work with named shawn mugavin told me best thing i have ever been told. he said you can work your whole life in this trade to be known as a guy who does good work but if you butch up one car it could ruin your good name because everyone would know about it. you could do great frame and body work and it doesnt matter at all if the paint screws up. when people call to see if there car is ready they seem to ask alot "how does the paint look" . i just cant see saving a little money for all the hassle. i agree with metcalf dupont is good too. i do disagree with 347sc about the dry time with dulling, 3000 clear air dries in 2 hours and doesnt dull. unless you buff it too soon. my car has global base and 4000 clear. it has been outside for 3 years and still looks good. but everyone has their own preferance. there are four painters where i work and we all prefer a different clear and sealer.

347sc
01-14-2010, 10:05 PM
i do disagree with 347sc about the dry time with dulling, 3000 clear air dries in 2 hours and doesnt dull.

It is designed to do that, I should have stated that trying to accelerate the cheaper clears using faster reducers or accelerators to get the dry time of the those will cause that. I used to use the Dupont fast dry clear to paint Harleys that needed a quick turn around and loved the stuff. I have not had any major problems with any brand if used correctly either.

In Charlies situation a cheaper product should not be a problem as the cars being painted are for resale and not customers. So he just has to please his boss with the results and if if they try it and it doesnt work go back to what you like.

91boost
01-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, i talked to my boss and we are going to stay with global. I told him why change what is working good and the customers that we do repair work for love the work and have no complaints. Its not worth the hassle and its not worth losing customers over saving a little money on the paint supplies, although doing a cheap paint job with good materials is a bitch to make money for yourself by the time your done.

347sc
01-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Didnt know they repaired cars for customers . I agree with you not worth losing business over.

91boost
01-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah we do, when he sells the cars he gives them a price to fix it in house or they can take it to their shop of choice.

inferno50
01-15-2010, 10:28 PM
the only real problem i have seen with ppg is the primer surfacer shrinking over time. I finish sanded the filler on my car with 320 and it sat for about 3 months before i painted it and it still has some dull spots in it like the filler soaked it up. anybody have any answers for this? i use k38. we have alot of repeat customers and i notice the shrinking on their cars also. ppg says there is nothing you can do to stop it. that to me sounds like bullshit, that primer costs about 140 a gallon plus the hardener. you think it would work for that kind of money.

347sc
01-15-2010, 10:50 PM
I had good results with K36 never tried the K38. I used K36 on my orange car and the paint was 10 years old when I sold it and no shrinkage. Use a good catalized sealer that locks it down or prime it twice.