Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Haiti [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Haiti

INSANEBA
01-13-2010, 02:38 PM
So we all know how poor and under developed this place is. It's Hell in a nutshell. My girlfriend and I are going on a 5 day cruise at the end of January, and I wasnt sure why, but one of our ports of call is Labadee, Haiti. I have a friend that his parents run an orphanage over there, and have been told nothing but bad about that place. So I check it out online, and they have built a port privately and specially for the cruise industry. I still feel kinda shitty about gording myself for 5 days on a luxury cruise, and making a pit/site seeing stop in the poorest country in the world. Now they get struck by a devastating earthquake, and as many as half a million are dead! The Govt. Travel site warned before all of this that travelers should beware of being robbed, or pick pocketed. I'm just imagining how much worse this is gonna be since this has happened. I usually carry a pocket full of cash when we travel, and my woman is not only hot in my book lol, but she dresses the part too. So now I'm not only worried about the $$ part of it, but also for her well being. I'm thinking about just staying on the boat if we do still go there, but am also kinda hoping they change that port of call to another one...

STEVE_POE
01-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Leave the cash in your safe and dress her down if you want to go from the ship.

problem solved

Pitbull1052
01-13-2010, 02:54 PM
didnt they use to be the hijack capital of the world before Samalia took over?

INSANEBA
01-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Leave the cash in your safe and dress her down if you want to go from the ship.

problem solved

LMAO yea, you tell her to wear sweat pants or something not so hot lol. I'm gonna use a money belt, and told her to leave the jewlrey on the ship. I was thinking the same thing about the hijack capitol thing too:eek:....

Pitbull1052
01-13-2010, 03:04 PM
I can't imagine with what just happened that there would be any reason to get off the ship.......

INSANEBA
01-13-2010, 03:06 PM
No doubt, I wasnt sure about doing it before this all went down. I'm really hoping they change the port, I wouldnt feel right going there with this happening...

Pitbull1052
01-13-2010, 03:10 PM
I dunno as you said hot woman, pocket full of money, and sunshine I think I'd feel o.k. about that and feel greatful about it........ lol

INSANEBA
01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Oh so true

thecollector
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I had to visit the Dominican Republic last year to repair a piece of equipment used to clean a steam turbine at a power plant. It was better than I expected but worse than I had hoped. All that has probably changed now. With the massive influx of aid it may not be bad but it would make about as much sense as visiting New orleans in Sept of 05'. It stands to reason that you would be better off on the ship for that port. Enjoy the cruise.

RIXXX93GT
01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I would hope they change that port of call. The only boats headed to those ports should be for humanitarian aid.

DeckerEnt
01-14-2010, 11:04 PM
I heard the port is messed up pretty bad. Don't think your ship will be able to get close. If you do get anywhere near that place, take a few pics of the aircraft carrier, Comfort hospital ship, all the frigats, and other military ships. They are all headed there now!

Black92LX
01-14-2010, 11:17 PM
I doubt the port will be open, but if it is one should not feel bad for going. You work hard and you get to choose how and where you spend your money. Many of these impoverished nations sole source of income is from tourist like yourself.
I traveled to Croatia and Bosnia years after the war but still drove past bombed out buildings and reminders of the devistation was much apparent. I did not feel bad but I also made an effort to spend a lot of money. I did not haggle over priced and in many instances paid more than what was asked.
Go and spend money it will only help their economy that's why the port is there in the first place. If it's open, go and spend money maybe even more than you had originally planned.

INSANEBA
01-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Good point Black, as for the port, it's actually in perfect shape. Our port is Labadee, a private owned island/beach on Haiti. I checked in with Royal carribean, and our ship as well as the rest of the fleet will be making deliveries of food, water and clothing to them on our trip, so atleast it's doing a good deed in the process, I'm just a lil more worried about being robbed now is all...

sean
01-19-2010, 01:05 AM
From everything I have read about how they are treating each other I would skip it. Just because greyhound goes through over the Rhine doesn't mean you should get out and check it out. Even if nothing had happened I still would just hang out on the boat for that one. Weigh out your options. You may get off and nothing happens and you have a nice time. Or you get off and something happens to you or your girl. I am defiantly one to take chances when it makes sense but this one seems like an easy one. I think at this time the dangers out weigh the benefits.

Black92LX
01-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Good point Black, as for the port, it's actually in perfect shape. Our port is Labadee, a private owned island/beach on Haiti. I checked in with Royal carribean, and our ship as well as the rest of the fleet will be making deliveries of food, water and clothing to them on our trip, so atleast it's doing a good deed in the process, I'm just a lil more worried about being robbed now is all...

The thing about Hati and where the Cruise Ships go. The everyday people of Hati are not allowed there.

It's a completely gated section of the island. Tourists don't get to leave and go to the main land of the island and only the Hatians that work at the port area are allowed in.

In my opinion go and spend money! Don't haggle on price maybe even pay more then they are asking.
As I stated before tourism is one of Hati's only sources of income.
Nothing wrong with going and spending money that will, even only if in a small way, help them.

chadomac
01-19-2010, 03:28 PM
here check this out http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100119/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1063

Pitbull1052
01-19-2010, 03:31 PM
I was just about to post the exact same thing Chad.....

sean
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
here check this out http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100119/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1063

Sounds fine after reading that. Go have fun and help the people directly by spending some money.

DeckerEnt
01-19-2010, 07:04 PM
I copied and was about to paste it too. Guess the all mighty dollar helps everyone.