PDA

View Full Version : Repair side mirror

crowbar032
01-12-2010, 02:30 PM
The side mirror fell out of my Dad's truck. I bought some 2 part epoxy stuff at NAPA to try to glue it back. That lasted about 2 days before it fell out again. Anyone else have any thoughts on how to put it back and get it to stay?

It's a 92 Chevy W/T so I don't want to buy a new mirror to put on it.

bestracing
01-12-2010, 02:33 PM
The side mirror fell out of my Dad's truck. I bought some 2 part epoxy stuff at NAPA to try to glue it back. That lasted about 2 days before it fell out again. Anyone else have any thoughts on how to put it back and get it to stay?

If it's the kind that is just glued into the mirror housing then get some Orange RTV from Advance or Auto Zone, Clean the mirror and housing really well, apply the RTV around the mirror where it mounts to the housing, press it on and tpe it in place. Let it cure overnight and you should be ready to go. Did this with my S-10 and it worked great and it was originally held in with RTV to begin with.

crowbar032
01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks.

If it's the kind that is just glued into the mirror housing then get some Orange RTV from Advance or Auto Zone, Clean the mirror and housing really well, apply the RTV around the mirror where it mounts to the housing, press it on and tpe it in place. Let it cure overnight and you should be ready to go. Did this with my S-10 and it worked great and it was originally held in with RTV to begin with.

NUTTSGT
01-12-2010, 07:24 PM
It's probably not going to stick in the cold. It'll need to be in a warm garage for a while.

Black92LX
01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
It's probably not going to stick in the cold. It'll need to be in a warm garage for a while.

agreed

Waffles
01-12-2010, 11:09 PM

My family has been in the glass business my entire life. We always just use a silicone window sealant. You don't need the professional stuff we use, just a $5 tube from Home Depot or something.