Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Looking for a truck....any thoughts or suggestions [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a truck....any thoughts or suggestions

egbertnr
01-04-2010, 10:37 PM
So I am looking for a truck. Looking for something used b/c I cant afford anything new and to be honest I need something pretty inexpensive but not a money pit. Have my eye on a couple F250 in and around model year 2000. Obviously those have the 7.3 which I have been told is a great engine, much more liked then the 6.0. Anyone out there have much experience with the diesels.....

I would like a F250 with a diesel, not that I need that much pulling capability for my little old Mustang, but I would like it just in case I ever did need it. I also plan on doing a little hauling of tractors throughout the summer months as my family does a little with antique farm equipment.

And you never know if I buy a big enclosed gooseneck trailer with sleeper to haul the car to a track for a weekend stay, that would be nice too!

sean
01-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Best thing you can do is pm beefcake (terry) and tell him what your looking for and what you have to spend. I was in the car buisness for YEARS and I had a lot of things I could find that the average person didnt know about. He, I am sure can help you as well.

egbertnr
01-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Actually have been talking to him, he had a truck I loved but was way out of my range. My cousin also works at a Ford dealer as a tech so I get heads up from him when they get something in. I have been looking around for some time now but just checking with a group that might know a little more.

beefcake
01-05-2010, 09:10 AM
the 7.3's are a pain to fine, with decent miles anyway,

what happened with the one at mt.orab?

tmotorsports
01-05-2010, 09:28 AM
I got a nice 1995 crew cab dually 7.3 powerstroke diesel 5-speed.centurius conversion,104,000 original miles.I'am second owner bought it from original owner 3 years ago with 76,000 miles. I want $7500 firm for it.its a nice truck needs nothing.im just selling it and my camper to buy a motorhome again.has reese and gooseneck hitches.e-mail me for pics if interested

stangman1@roadrunner.com

Waffles
01-05-2010, 11:57 AM
the 7.3's are a pain to fine, with decent miles anyway,

I'm not sure miles would scare me on those trucks. My brother's 2000 F-350 has over 250,000 on his and he uses it for everything. Still even looks awesome.

egbertnr
01-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I got a nice 1995 crew cab dually 7.3 powerstroke diesel 5-speed.centurius conversion,104,000 original miles.I'am second owner bought it from original owner 3 years ago with 76,000 miles. I want $7500 firm for it.its a nice truck needs nothing.im just selling it and my camper to buy a motorhome again.has reese and gooseneck hitches.e-mail me for pics if interested

stangman1@roadrunner.com

Seems like a reasonable price but not looking for a dually. Thanks anyway...

Yeah the 7.3 seems like it can take all the miles you want to give it and I am not wanting to use it to drive everyday either, maybe once a week to keep it from sitting and then on then whenever else I needed it to haul something.

The one at Mt. Orab is still there, they were doing some things to it. Needed an adjustment in the shifter and did brakes all around and ball joints. Its a great truck now I am just waiting on a final price. It all depends if they can get to my number or not.

adragon72
01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
we have 7 here that we have been testing alternative fuels and such on them. two of them are the 7.3. the fords have held up well with alot of miles, but the dodge cummins has been an exceptional truck no starting issues in this cold weather, the fords must be pluged in or good luck lol. we have tried everything to help the fords but no luck! the dodge just seems to be a better design engine. good luck with your search

adam

thecollector
01-05-2010, 02:16 PM
On St. RT 28 in Milford there is a 99 F-250 with a 7.3 and a 6speed manual. It has less than 90k miles and is in decent shape. Its a base model with manual windows and locks and vinyl floors but it might be what your looking for. It has some light cosmetic scrapes and it will also need the pass. rear window replaced. The guy told me he was asking 8,000 but was flexible on the price. It runs strong but beware their is a puddle of coolant in the V below the Turbo??? Maybe something stupid maybe something big. The Cummins is a good motor but it comes with a Dodge truck built around it soooo:( Id compromise on the motor and buy a ford with a 7.3. I was looking at it for a buddy and he backed away because it was a base model.

egbertnr
01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I read on a FOrd truck forums that to stay away if there is any coolant in that area, it was a speific item they called to look at.

The truck I am looking at is a Lariat with leather and is in great shape. I also like the 4 wheel drive.

The plan is to compromise and get something that I could still take people in and be somewhat comfortable. Wife likes the crew cabs....

I am a big cummins fan but like you said its got a Dodge around it......I have a buddy with a 92 Dodge and we took it for a 2000 mile trip to Texas and back in the summer with hauling cars both ways. Did great, plenty of power, truck has well over 200k onit, but the body is getting pretty shabby

ClevelandMstang
01-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Ok, my opinion.....BUY FORD!

I am the guy who buys the m ost for my money, Like all options...diesel...4x4...Crew cab.. leather... look hard they are there, 2wd stripper trucks or gassers hold no value at all...

Another.....BUY SOUTH!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought this truck 3 weeks ago, 99 PSD F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Dually............360,000 miles!!!!!! This truck truck looks and drives like it has 50,000 miles on it... From ...Texas! Zero rust and roads are easier on suspensions there, this thing rides amazing...

I paid 8900.00+ expense to go get it (approx. 800.00 in flight and fuel/food) and could oit touch anythiong up north in this shape for under 15 grand..

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/IMG00007-20091217-1159.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/19.jpg

This is my 4th Diesel Ford, all high milers...I love them!!!! do not be afraid of the 7.3, great engine..

Look at maitainence...transmossions are the weak link but depends how you drive, all diesels have trans issues if automatic... even the great ALLISON in the GM...

I am very 7.3 familiar, ask whatever you want, I will answer what I can....

ClevelandMstang
01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Just sold this one with 288K.... ran 15.1... good for a high miler at 6800 lbs!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/PA250466.jpg

mustang8998
01-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Ok, my opinion.....BUY FORD!

I am the guy who buys the m ost for my money, Like all options...diesel...4x4...Crew cab.. leather... look hard they are there, 2wd stripper trucks or gassers hold no value at all...

Another.....BUY SOUTH!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought this truck 3 weeks ago, 99 PSD F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Dually............360,000 miles!!!!!! This truck truck looks and drives like it has 50,000 miles on it... From ...Texas! Zero rust and roads are easier on suspensions there, this thing rides amazing...

I paid 8900.00+ expense to go get it (approx. 800.00 in flight and fuel/food) and could oit touch anythiong up north in this shape for under 15 grand..

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/IMG00007-20091217-1159.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/19.jpg

This is my 4th Diesel Ford, all high milers...I love them!!!! do not be afraid of the 7.3, great engine..

Look at maitainence...transmossions are the weak link but depends how you drive, all diesels have trans issues if automatic... even the great ALLISON in the GM...

I am very 7.3 familiar, ask whatever you want, I will answer what I can....

You got a good deal, there. I'm in the market, but haven't even thought, about looking out of state. :o

ClevelandMstang
01-05-2010, 10:58 PM
You got a good deal, there. I'm in the market, but haven't even thought, about looking out of state. :o

I will NEVER buy another northern truck again.....I would look at Texas, Georgia, and Tennesee.... they had the best deals... Texas by far has the most to chose from...best prices too...nowhere else compares....I looked for 2 months...hard.....and all over US.

egbertnr
01-05-2010, 11:42 PM
I will NEVER buy another northern truck again.....I would look at Texas, Georgia, and Tennesee.... they had the best deals... Texas by far has the most to chose from...best prices too...nowhere else compares....I looked for 2 months...hard.....and all over US.

I have noticed that good trucks come from the south and there are tons of them. The truck that I have my eye on locally was a southern truck for 95% of its life and it has 165K and looks great IMO.

I cant bring myself to purchase a truck without looking at it first, I could obviously fine one I like, fly or drive to look at it but it I got there and found things I didnt like then I would be out that, so cant say I am ready to risk that yet, although on the flip side could pay off big!

ClevelandMstang
01-06-2010, 05:57 AM
I cant bring myself to purchase a truck without looking at it first, I could obviously fine one I like, fly or drive to look at it but it I got there and found things I didnt like then I would be out that, so cant say I am ready to risk that yet, although on the flip side could pay off big!

If you know what you want, ask.... ask for pics of everything that matters, this guy had 50 pics for me, made me feel great, I asked for under truck, all door lips, everything I could think of, and remember.... if you buy at the right price chances are you can afford a few small things that surprise you..my truck was 100% what I expected if not more...

I have bought a ton of vehicles sight unseen, in this case I got a sweet truck for at least 5000.00 less then I could buy anywhere around here...

I like pics.... I do not trust anyones word as some people ideas of clean and mine are different normally..I wanted SPOTLESS... chances are 9.5/10 trucks from texas are spotless rustwise... anything else can be taken care of.... and RUN A CARFAX..... anythung majior would have most likely been reported.

Don't be afraid to buy sight unseen, just be smart...

ClevelandMstang
01-06-2010, 06:00 AM
I have noticed that good trucks come from the south and there are tons of them. The truck that I have my eye on locally was a southern truck for 95% of its life and it has 165K and looks great IMO.

!

I agree.... but remember... it is probably 3-5000.00 more here then there...that is a huge difference!

BradleyGT
01-06-2010, 08:58 AM
If I was to buy a diesel it would be a Dodge. If it was a gas truck it would be a Ford. My buddies 07 Dodge Diesel 4x4 would blow the doors off my GT.

ClevelandMstang
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM
There are plenty of just as powerful fords......dodge will make a tad more power easier but that only matters if you want to. Run 11's........then you are stuck with chitty dodge chassis and horrible interior...ford diesel will do as much as any other...like anything else...takes money.....

Rustanggt98
01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Bought my 95 7.3L CC dually almost 2 years ago for $7500, had 122k miles on it, 118k of which were in Florida. The underneath is immaculate, i had the trans rebuilt, put a good convertor and cooler in it, and i wouldn't trade it for anything. It gets about 15 mpg just tooling around town without a chip, just a homemade CAI and a 3in downpipe. :bigthumb

Cant go wrong with the 7.3L

ClevelandMstang
01-06-2010, 10:41 PM
If I was to buy a diesel it would be a Dodge. If it was a gas truck it would be a Ford. My buddies 07 Dodge Diesel 4x4 would blow the doors off my GT.

Fords can make plenty of power right there with the Cummins.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKUACSlIRCU

egbertnr
01-06-2010, 10:56 PM
wow, thats nuts, pretty awesome truck.

Couldnt get the dealer to meet me at the number I wanted to pay so asof now I wills till be looking.Some might say I am missing out on a good truck, but I will keep my eye out. I really have no reason to be in a hurry so if I stumble across a great deal then I can act. If any of you guys see a really nice 7.3 out there let me know.

I too tend to like the ones with all the bells and whistles....Basically I would like either an XLTor Lariat, 4x4, 7.3: F250. Somewhere under 13K, Obviously the lower the miles the better even though the 7.3 can go fora long time I would like to get as low as I Can obviously for the cash.
Thanks

ClevelandMstang
01-06-2010, 11:11 PM
I almost bought this one before I got the dually...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/ctd/1539000805.html

I gaurantee nothing in Ohio will have the cleanliness of these trucks in Texas for the money... for 11-13,000 in Texas you can get a LOADED truck with decent miles...

Very nice...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/1529295467.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1506897193.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1528924317.html

HARD TO FIND 03 with a 7.3.....

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ctd/1539333596.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1512672103.html

Dude... look around... they are out there, if you dig you can get a smokin deal!!!!!!

egbertnr
01-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I will do some looking, seen a nice truck in Florida as well.

Thanks

Timido
01-07-2010, 09:14 PM
What ever you buy keep an eye on things like worn ball joints tires and brakes. You can drop a bunch of money on tires alone.

egbertnr
01-07-2010, 11:24 PM
This is true, the truck I was looking at in Mt Orab just had ball joints and brakes replaced. SO thats one of those things where I wanted to buy that truck b/c that stuff is good but still didnt want to spend the extra cash up front.